I’m curious how many of you posting here are actually still active in SL?

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Ageing? Don't think I've seen that one. He just does stuff like build houses with 2000 rooms, remove all the bathrooms and so on. Plus he names all the cats after internal organs (the main one is called Spleens, or is it Tonsils?). I've never played the Sims, maybe that's why I find it funny. 

Aging is a setting in the game that can be turned off so your sims don't ever grow old and die unless you want them to. I never do. 

He is probably more typical of a lot of players. There are many that play what is called generational where they have generations of a family just like in RL. Some like to do the challenges. Some play rotationally where they play a sim or family for a time then move on to the next sim or family. Some like chaos. 

There are many ways to play The Sims that are as individual as, well, the individuals.

Some examples: https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/895325/how-do-you-play-sims-4

Me? I get attached to the nonexistent little buggers so I rarely will kill one off or let them die of old age. My play style is, for lack of a better way to put it at the moment, all over the place. lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Me? I get attached to the nonexistent little buggers so I rarely will kill one off or let them die of old age. My play style is, for lack of a better way to put it at the moment, all over the place. lol

Fair enough. I've never played it, I'm not a gamer. I just find his channel to be an entertaining concept and his commentary is very good too. Once he made the inside of the house a 1000 mile long spiral corridor with a couple of food and toilet rooms. When the Sims started dying of exhaustion and starvation, the Grim Reaper showed up and then also started making his way on foot through the passageway to reach them, took bloody ages. I did crack up when I saw that. Someone did tell me at length last week that I am effectively the Antichrist, maybe it's true. 

• Haha 2

@Amina Sopwith

If you're interested I do have a blog where I posted some of my first builds in The Sims 4 when it was first released. I haven't posted anything in a long time so the blog is still a work in progress. I really should post some of the other builds I've done. Eventually I'll get a round tuit.

https://wolfeyessims4.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Fair enough. I've never played it, I'm not a gamer. I just find his channel to be an entertaining concept and his commentary is very good too. Once he made the inside of the house a 1000 mile long spiral corridor with a couple of food and toilet rooms. When the Sims started dying of exhaustion and starvation, the Grim Reaper showed up and then also started making his way on foot through the passageway to reach them, took bloody ages. I did crack up when I saw that. Someone did tell me at length last week that I am effectively the Antichrist, maybe it's true. 

I bet that if you ever tried the game, you'd love it because you can do all kinds of nasty things to your sims. lol

https://sims-online.com/sims-4-death-guide-killing-your-sims/

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I bet that if you ever tried the game, you'd love it because you can do all kinds of nasty things to your sims. lol

I don't really have any interest in doing that myself, so maybe I'm just about redeemable as a human being. But I do enjoy a channel where Sims with names like Ellis Dee and Beth Amphetamine (who have cats called Spleens, Tonsils and Tibia; the animals never come to harm, that would upset me) walk through a pointless 1000 mile corridor and then the Grim Reaper takes about half an hour to find them going through the same route. I also liked the ones where he removed all washing facilities or just dumped about 100 of them in a tiny house and removed all the exit doors and left them to it. So I guess it's a toss-up.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Ageing? Don't think I've seen that one. He just does stuff like build houses with 2000 rooms, remove all the bathrooms and so on. Plus he names all the cats after internal organs (the main one is called Spleens, or is it Tonsils?). I've never played the Sims, maybe that's why I find it funny. 

Spleens, Tonsils was added in later. Female and Male pair if I remember rightly.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Aging is a setting in the game that can be turned off so your sims don't ever grow old and die unless you want them to. I never do. 

He is probably more typical of a lot of players. There are many that play what is called generational where they have generations of a family just like in RL. Some like to do the challenges. Some play rotationally where they play a sim or family for a time then move on to the next sim or family. Some like chaos. 

There are many ways to play The Sims that are as individual as, well, the individuals.

Some examples: https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/895325/how-do-you-play-sims-4

He simply reuses the same Sims for a while, occasionally changing them out/adding new ones in - no generational play there.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

He simply reuses the same Sims for a while, occasionally changing them out/adding new ones in - no generational play there.

I didn't say he is a generational player. I said many that play are. :P

When I said he is probably a more typical player I meant he likely kills off his characters frequently. Most players do. From the titles of his vids, I'd have to say he is one that likes chaos and likes watching the sims die.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

57 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I didn't say he is a generational player. I said many that play are. :P

When I said he is probably a more typical player I meant he likely kills off his characters frequently. Most players do. From the titles of his vids, I'd have to say he is one that likes chaos and likes watching the sims die.

He does similar stuff with other roleplay based games. Watched one the other day where he just kept marrying rich women, taking everything then divorcing them. And setting things on fire. Hmm, maybe he's Maddy. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

He does similar stuff with other roleplay based games. Watched one the other day where he just kept marrying rich women, taking everything then divorcing them. And setting things on fire. Hmm, maybe he's Maddy. 

His schtick is essentially playing games "the wrong way" or simply trying to break them.

If your thing is mayhem and explosions ... Watch him play Brick Rigs.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

You may not gloat, but you sure do take an unwarranted stance of moral superiority!

Due to alts, you really cannot tell much from a person's log-in history.  Also, there are LOTS of stores that still sell stuff from the old days (poseballs, eww) - one must think they are either indecently wealthy or else are actually making money off their in-world stores, because it isn't exactly free to run an in-world store.  Perhaps their "pathetic" vendors are generating enough to keep their old stores afloat while they created a new avatar for all their super-duper new mush wares.  You wouldn't know, and since you don't, you shouldn't draw conclusions.

Nothing "morally superior" about investigating the vicious blow-hards on the forums and finding their super-sad stores. No, they are not getting rich off old pose-balls. I have absolutely no qualms about checking out people who have harassed and harangued me and others for years with all kinds of know-it-all arrogance on topics from traffic to building to lag. Nope, none at all. 

It would be hard to believe that somebody would have a modern, productive wealthy alt making bank from their store and also an old has-been alt or main with a pathetic store. But of course, people will contort themselves into any kind of pretzel to make arguments in support of the forums queens.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Nothing "morally superior" about investigating the vicious blow-hards on the forums and finding their super-sad stores. No, they are not getting rich off old pose-balls. I have absolutely no qualms about checking out people who have harassed and harangued me and others for years with all kinds of know-it-all arrogance on topics from traffic to building to lag. Nope, none at all. 

It would be hard to believe that somebody would have a modern, productive wealthy alt making bank from their store and also an old has-been alt or main with a pathetic store. But of course, people will contort themselves into any kind of pretzel to make arguments in support of the forums queens.

Amazin!

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

LOL you're so funny, Prok.  By "morally superior" I meant your tone, obviously, but you turn around and say there is nothing morally superior about...something that has been labelled as "stalkerish".  To argue against me (what,  2 weeks later) you move your position to be closer to Scylla's.  Congrats!

You're free to find whatever you want to be "hard to believe", but if you think I would twist myself into pretzels to support anyone on this forum, you don't pay much attention.  At least with this post you've shown you do what you do out of spite because the "forum queens" hurt your little feelings.  I dub thee the Forum Snowflake.

Since "Prokofy Neva" doesn't show up in search, would you mind sending a link to your store?  I'd love to see this palace of commerce that is so superior to everyone else.

• Thanks 1

I am guilty of not even posting on the forums, but rather just lurking on them. :)

Most of my use of second life involves helping people with scripting via discord IM's. Scripting is the one thing this platform has over any others, it's the most creativity-empowering feature it has. Sadly, I feel like I've got lots of technical knowledge, but no actual creativity. So what I find most enjoyable is assisting people who are creative but might not have the technical knowledge.

It turns out you don't have to log in very much in order to do that. You can type up and send code anywhere to help people. Even via offline IM's.

I would log in, but I have a hard time finding  active people with similar interests. I'm a really talkative guy (with my voice, not my fingers) at that's pretty rare to find in Second Life.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

there are LOTS of stores that still sell stuff from the old days (poseballs, eww) - one must think they are either indecently wealthy or else are actually making money off their in-world stores, because it isn't exactly free to run an in-world store.

Yeah...

In theory I could set up an inworld store without any extra cost to me.

After my main plot and my Bellisseria homes, I have 368m of land left.

I can and have found many parcels in that size with a layout where I could put out all my old products and make nothing, but have a LM to say "I haz shopz" with... Instead I used 256m of it to buy a plot by the side of a mountain road somewhere and declare it a rez-zone in a location nobody needs a rez zone just so I would stop looking at my left-over tier... :P

I used to have a rounding error of about 1600m that.. I could not shake or lower because I needed the other 400m... I solved by making a third account premium and that got me to 368 with some tier juggling... but... with 1600m I could have rezzed a full on 'store looking store' that would have looked like a mainstore.

For some old ancient loot... and a few modern scripts...

I actually do get about 1 sale a year off that old ancient loot in MP, where I've set what I am still willing to sell down to 'silly low prices' like 0-5 linden or whatever...
- but when I see some of those ancient stores my assumptions now end up at:

1. This is a lifetime sub that has thier tier literally for free.
  2. Somebody's land group had a very nice rounding-error so they put this out with the left-over tier
  3. This is a new user with one of those "get rich in SL" merchant kit pyramid schemes that they've fallen victim to...

Also...

Everytime I make one of my "you all need to update to bento avatars and modern clothes and drop all that old [insert something old here] stuff posts... somebody comes around to tell me they LIKE the old stuff... So... if that somebody isn't too rare... I guess those places can get by... but they aren't getting by on my old loot... ;)

Lastly... I have made a few groups in the past that are presently owned by alts I haven't logged into since 2011 or there-abouts... If back then I had used those alts to actually make the groups... it might look like anything done under those groups was old dead stuff when it in fact was done by me...

Not sure where I'm going with this post other than... some reasons someone might be able to have a store of old junk out and not care about it's tier cost...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Adeon Writer said:

I am guilty of not even posting on the forums, but rather just lurking on them. :)

Most of my use of second life involves helping people with scripting via discord IM's. Scripting is the one thing this platform has over any others, it's the most creativity-empowering feature it has. Sadly, I feel like I've got lots of technical knowledge, but no actual creativity. So what I find most enjoyable is assisting people who are creative but might not have the technical knowledge.

It turns out you don't have to log in very much in order to do that. You can type up and send code anywhere to help people. Even via offline IM's.

I would log in, but I have a hard time finding  active people with similar interests. I'm a really talkative guy (with my voice, not my fingers) at that's pretty rare to find in Second Life.

Hey Adeon! glomp.gif.2d6ec29d02aa7215d49420e1bba4fb4a.gif

ShamefulBlackBactrian-size_restricted.gif.16cdc8d772619046e690989c66e5ac10.gif

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

Since "Prokofy Neva" doesn't show up in search, would you mind sending a link to your store?  I'd love to see this palace of commerce that is so superior to everyone else.

I found it in world randomly one day  and dropped on in for a bit. (I assume it was his; I clicked on the parcel details and his name showed as the owner). Got ported into an empty building; once I found my way out of it, I meandered on down to the shoreline. Nobody was around and it was all quite chaotically spread out yet serene and peaceful and it had a lovely pier so I chilled there for a bit, then wandered back home. 🙂

~Vael

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adeon Writer said:

You could come talk to me...but then I would bug you for scripts for my hare-brained ideas 🙃

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:31 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

Giggles. And High Fives ya !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.