We need more sailable water around the Bellisseria edges

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, Boo Rojyo said:

Let's hope this is just temporary but as a minimum we need an easily navigable route between continents, and ideally a sim wide. Look forward to seeing a positive reaction.

I agree, and would add that ideally we will have at least a 1 to 2 region-wide water area all around the continents

Edited by Tennyson Dash
misspelling
  • Like 1

They've filled out the coastline now, but still NOT added any water north of Pearl Drop - so the sailing path is getting extremely tight.

On the east side, it's a similar situation, but with the added question of 'will there be a route between Ancient Mariner and Hanshin, and likewise between Domingo Depths and Bireme?

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

They've filled out the coastline now, but still NOT added any water north of Pearl Drop - so the sailing path is getting extremely tight.

On the east side, it's a similar situation, but with the added question of 'will there be a route between Ancient Mariner and Hanshin, and likewise between Domingo Depths and Bireme?

I'm thinking that is temporary because they do not want anyone getting close to the new Victorians before they are released.  

North-east of Pearl drop is a perfectly wide passage through Marth/Mando Coast/ Ashirra - it has to be at least 50 metres wide , which is far wider than the current passage at West End, which doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone .

Likewise south-east of Pearl Drop, the passage through Templares Deep/Lusitania/Pier pressure looks to be maybe 40m wide, which is fine. North and south of both these passages are large one-region wide sailable areas, which also go down the east side of Pyri Peaks and the Jeogeot coast.

The SHergood Map shows a region going in south of Zokalar (part of a whole row of new regions), to join up with the Jeogeot north coast, but no further east. One single added here would then open up the Hanshin region completely, so I agree that's one area that could be added (and perhaps has already been thought of).

A path between Domingo Depths and Bireme is, in my opinion, extremely unlikely, as it would require adding at least 13 regions (down to only 4 if you went north from Ketran), but more importantly, it achieves nothing, as you can only sail a few more regions north before you hit the void again. Ideally, it could be the beginning of a long term plan to wrap most of Sansara in a one-region wide waterway, but at the moment I don't see that as being very high on LL's list of things to do ;) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

it achieves nothing, as you can only sail a few more regions north before you hit the void again. Ideally, it could be the beginning of a long term plan to wrap most of Sansara in a one-region wide waterway, but at the moment I don't see that as being very high on LL's list of things to do ;) 

So basically... you hate sailing...

Try conducting a race through a 5m gap on a residential sim... that sim NE of Pearl Drop... You need open water to have multiple boats. Ever do the Bellisseria Parade? Notice how they do the exact same route every day... because they can't fit all those boats on more paths...

• Haha 1

I own 5 sailboats, 31 motorboats, and spend roughly at least 2 hours a day on the water in SL, so sure, I hate sailing ;) 

My reply has nothing to do with my own personal preferences, I was merely relating facts from an unbiased view. There is NO passage on these new regions so far  that is as narrow as passages that already exist in Bellisseria, and those current passages have proven perfectly usable. So to claim that that anywhere in the new area is getting "extremely tight" is a bit of an overreaction.

Patch and the Moles have said repeatedly, the focus is (as it should be) on getting residents into new homes, not giving us sailors another playground. If we end up with more areas to sail, then that's great, and I will enjoy those areas as much as anyone, but it certainly isn't needed (as suggested by the title of the thread). 

• Like 4

Well I wasn't going to bother anymore with this thread, but as you're one of these people who edit their posts after someone has already replied to them, seems like I have to.

I've gone in multiple sailing group cruises in Bellisseria, both from the LCC and the RSYC. At no time in these events did anyone ever complain about the lack of room to move, in fact the only complaint ever heard was that some people were expecting the chunks of ice in the Moonia region to be phantom, which they weren't.

Again, your statement regarding the "5m gap" is factually incorrect. The West End region currently has the narrowest passage in Bellisseria for boats to pass by. It measures at 16m wide (yes I went there and measured it). Even a cursory look at the new areas scheduled for release clearly show that the area you refer to is substantially wider than that, at least twice as wide, more likely 3 times.

This puts the "5m gap" at a minimum of 32m wide, more likely to be around 50m as I originally posted.  What the heck is anyone using that they can't squeeze a couple of boats through a 50m gap? Seriously, I'd like to know.

You also seem to conveniently forget that, in fact, there is a full-region wide passage in Southern Bellisseria right near to your supposed trouble spot. It stretches from Petrel Shallows in the west, 12 regions across, to Edmund Fitzgerald in the east. It is simply not visible on the in-world map yet, but the regions are there. This passage then extends south alongside the Pyri Peaks funfair, before joining up with the Jeogeot coastline and heading south west. Again, this passage is a least one-region wide at all times. In some areas of Bellisseria, north or south, there will be narrow waterways - a lot like RL really, it is not some problem that needs fixing.

I actually want the same thing as you, more sailing areas in SL, however, I don't think that we sailors have any right to expect LL to work on giving us what we want when there are currently thousands of premium members without a new style home. Simply ask yourself this... if you were currently waiting for a new home (and maybe had been waiting months for one), would you still be asking for more sailing areas, or would you be wanting LL to do everything they could to get you into a new home as fast as possible?

It is frankly unreasonable to expect LL to divert any kind of resources away from making new homes in order to appease the wants of a small group.

And on that note i'm done here, enjoy your thread 😏

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

I don't think that we sailors have any right to expect LL to work on giving us what we want when there are currently thousands of premium members without a new style home. Simply ask yourself this... if you were currently waiting for a new home (and maybe had been waiting months for one), would you still be asking for more sailing areas, or would you be wanting LL to do everything they could to get you into a new home as fast as possible?

It is frankly unreasonable to expect LL to divert any kind of resources away from making new homes in order to appease the wants of a small group.

I agree.  Perhaps I wasn't clear in my posts.  In asking for more sailable waters I (at least) am not requesting that resources be diverted from the LH buildout.  

I am requesting that the development plan include the ability to comfortably circumnavigate Belli, even by those who are not as adept sailors as members of the clubs you mention.   More specifically, I'm thinking that an obvious 1-region water border around the main continental mass, possibly with a Southern sea like "Fourze Lake", would be wonderful to see before the LDPW moves on to new endeavors.  I believe it would encourage more water sports by all.  Even people who do not go on the water themselves often seem to like to see watercraft "out there". 

People at lighthouses and occasionally from a parcel will shout out an "Ahoy!".  I love that about Belli!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

I own 5 sailboats, 31 motorboats, and spend roughly at least 2 hours a day on the water in SL, so sure, I hate sailing ;) 

My reply has nothing to do with my own personal preferences, I was merely relating facts from an unbiased view.

Patch and the Moles have said repeatedly, the focus is (as it should be) on getting residents into new homes, not giving us sailors another playground

So basically your entire purpose in this thread is to be a naysayer and try and prevent us from getting anything...

That has been the sum total of every comment you've made in here... to rail against the desire for more water. I haven't see any comments from you other than variations of "no more water, don't need don't want, not here". For someone claiming to love sailing, you have a strange hostility to the desire for more water...

5 posts so far, in an only 2 page thread - telling us to not ask for water...

So yes... you hate sailing... It's in your own words.

I figured this would be a topic everyone could get behind, happily so; the idea of more water for us to enjoy. Most pepole seem to be for that to varying degrees... so the idea that it has a persistent naysayer so strongly resistant to adding water sims is still something I am not finding easy to comprehend the motives of... And maybe I am overstating you... but... I just don't get the hostile opposition.

You will never reach the sky unless you aim for the stars, and the early bird doesn't just get the worm, he gets the only worm... So being proactive on letting them know, in as early and lofty a manner as possible, it vital. Or the end product will be like Zindra.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I am requesting that the development plan include the ability to comfortably circumnavigate Belli, even by those who are not as adept sailors as members of the clubs you mention.   More specifically, I'm thinking that an obvious 1-region water border around the main continental mass, possibly with a Southern sea like "Fourze Lake", would be wonderful to see before the LDPW moves on to new endeavors.  I believe it would encourage more water sports by all.  Even people who do not go on the water themselves often seem to like to see watercraft "out there". 

People at lighthouses and occasionally from a parcel will shout out an "Ahoy!".  I love that about Belli!

A 1 sim border is exactly what is needed.

And as noted, not everyone is a skilled sailor. We've another thread that drives home that very point:

- A lot of people are like this poster. Frustrated from the difficulty of sailing in various spots. They need enough space because... much as I noted racing earlier - most people do not have that level of skill at it.

If this was a land-locked continent like the old Linden Homes... it would be out of place or early to ask for this. But it's not. A major portion of the homes are boathouses, there are boat and land-vehicle rezzing spots everywhere, there are airports aplenty, and a covenant designed to make flying those airports easier despite that being a much smaller segment of the residents than boaters.

Bellisseria was made to be toured and moved through... not just a place to set your 'TP-Home' as the older Linden Homes seem to mostly serve...

Reach for the stars... so you can get to the sky.

We've also got a topic about... is anyone sailing here, with replies in the affirmative:

I'd say, keep asking. We got rez zones that way.

I'd like to see a reasonable waterway width around a few tight spots, and good connections to the nearby continents. It should be possible to circle Belli, and get to places on Sansara and Jeogeot that have rez zones and road connections. Then you can Go Places.  Drivers of SL and GTFO both look for routes like that.

• Like 2

• Moles

That two region wide strip of open water was always intended to be filled (mostly) with land and houses. Building and providing homes is always going to be the priority. I try to do it in a way that gives an interesting coastline and leaves a passable channel for boats to get from one area of open water to another. Sometimes those channels are a little tight, but not even close to the way some areas on the mainland can be. (And which some residents sometimes block with their stuff and fill with offsim objects, but that's a whole other topic.)

If the Lab wants to add more open water regions around Bellisseria they can, but they need a good reason. You just need to give them a really good one (because that is a lot of empty regions). The most powerful argument would be if they see the ones that are already there being consistently used by residents. The same goes for things like public spaces for the community like Campwich Lodge. If they are being utilized and there is a call for more, we'll build more. Right now what is being utilized and called for the most is more houses, so that's what we build the most. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

If this was a land-locked continent like the old Linden Homes... it would be out of place or early to ask for this. But it's not. A major portion of the homes are boathouses, there are boat and land-vehicle rezzing spots everywhere, there are airports aplenty, and a covenant designed to make flying those airports easier despite that being a much smaller segment of the residents than boaters.

Bellisseria was made to be toured and moved through... not just a place to set your 'TP-Home' as the older Linden Homes seem to mostly serve...

That's the best argument for doing this I've seen. That seems to be why Belli is a success. LL got this right.

Roads and water are enormously  important to Second Life, even when not used much. Visit Corsica. Get 150m from road and water, and you're on abandoned land. Endless houses, like the old Linden Homes, are the run-on sentences of architecture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the basis of Abnor Mole's post, it seemed to me Bellisseria is gonna be , just another prettier, slightly better area of the old Linden Homes areas.

On that basis, I downgraded to non-premium membership and will forget Bellisseria.

The Blake Sea and private rentals will be fine for me.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

That two region wide strip of open water was always intended to be filled (mostly) with land and houses. Building and providing homes is always going to be the priority.

I do appreciate the effort that goes into planning and executing this project. Also as someone who was resident on a different grid which collapsed due to financial problems, I am glad that attention is paid to getting a return on any investment.

I guess as we don't have access to the details of the long term plans, then it is easy to build up hopes and ideas which were never intended to be fulfilled.

6 hours ago, KittenLuv Axel said:

I lover my Bellissia home.  Sorry spelling not the best.  Only problem takes forever to rez and see the beauty.

I also live on Belli and agree about the rez times being way to long. But I am betting that is the cost of what makes it beautiful.

My alt lives on Meadowbrook and never sees anything like the lag on Belli, and she has been there for years, and never lag like this.

But there is no denying Bellisseria is beautiful.

Even if you use it for nothing else but landing and rezzing in a skybox can be your friend. You can pick up a basic one that will use less than 10 land impact, set up a teleporter to your home at ground level. Set home to be in the skybox and rezz in there. You will find you rezz in yourself significantly quicker and when all assembled and ready to take on the world you can tp down.

Edited by Aethelwine

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Edmund Fitzgerald/247/20/36

Access between Haneulgil and Edmund Fitzgerald remains blocked.

original_5df7c050289dd23694903354.png

Otherwise, we have a wrap around the south now.

If you are extremely skilled and have a top notch connection you can sail that corner by crossing 3 sims at the same time and get through before the wall blocks you... Otherwise... exactly 1 more region to the coast would be EXTREMELY USEFUL here...

Ok, I'll be the naysayer.

If you want lots of sailing flying areas - buy or rent from the abundant lands existing in SL already or rezz your boat in the free rezz zones. Its not like the popularity of flying or sailing is new -  but if you want Blake Sea experiences for a small annual fee...pony up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.