We need more sailable water around the Bellisseria edges

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Abnor Mole@Whitney Linden

With the addition of the new southern half of Bellisseria we have lost a 2 region wide pathway that sailed between the continents. The pathway from the continent north of Bellisseria to the one south of it is now very thin in some places.

A few regions: Port Track, Fog Bank, Jonahs Keep, Clean Air, and Mermaid Frolic have yet to be filled in as I type this - and may or may not narrow this gap even more. SSPE638 and SSPE682 show where it gets thinnest.

This is a request to please ensure we keep a sail-able path between the continents north and south of Bellisseria. A path on each side of Bellisseria - east and west coasts both. Preferably one with at LEAST a full water region of width off the coast.

Ideally, I'd like to see a new 'Blake Sea' amount of sailing out here as the area fills in - one not cursed with the coastal blight that represents Blake Sea. Given the number of houseboats and boat rezzing spots Bellisseria has - it is only logical that it should be the new focus of sailing in SL, or at the least competitive with other mainland equivalents.

There is also concern to be had over what will fill the gap between Abrus <-to-> Grunion Beach and the mountains north of it. That looks like it will need coast of some kind, a rapid transition. Hopefully that is also an opportunity for some water.

Map screenshots below to show the status:

NeedMoreWater_001.jpg

NeedMoreWater_002.jpg

NeedMoreWater_003.jpg

NeedMoreWater_004.jpg

NeedMoreWater_005.jpg

NeedMoreWater_006.jpg

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given how much everyone requested this in the beginning of Bellisseria -- and LL responded - my bet is that the current situation is temporary.

I agree. Most likely this. They are still building-out a LOT of Houseboats, and they know most wanting a houseboat is so they can rez and keep their watercraft out. And the only reason to do that is for boating. Sometimes, I guess, it's hard to remember we cannot see the forest through the trees; the big picture is a lot bigger than any of us can really know.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given how much everyone requested this in the beginning of Bellisseria -- and LL responded - my bet is that the current situation is temporary.

Perhaps. But we can also look at all the older continents and see that ... as soon as a new project kicks up, this kind of issue has historically been forgotten about. So it's important to make sure that doesn't happen here; especially given the prevalence of houseboats and rezzing spots and a covenant that has already ensured benefits for other forms of vehicle enjoyment (the no skybox under 2000m rule).

It would be a shame if all these houseboats and water lots had nowhere to sail, but that's the very story for most other coastal / water mainland. History is just NOT on our side here.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It would be a shame if all these houseboats and water lots had nowhere to sail, but that's the very story for most other coastal / water mainland. History is just NOT on our side here.

Again, I agree.  LL has shown that they can be responsive, so I think they need to hear this loud and clear.

Belli is the best sailing venue, with the greatest variety of waterways and destinations, in a long long LONG time.  Particularly now, with the "clumps" making an appearance.   With enough water to allow passage between all the involved continents, "clumps", and reefs of houseboats, this would be the most awesome cruising venue in SL.  And I know that's not the goal of this project.  But you are SO SO close, at this moment.

Incidentally, @Abnor Mole, could you possibly make each of those clumps of homes have an identifying feature ... say, one has a blue-textured top to its lighthouse, another has an immense version of the common sand sculpture you use, another has ALL bright red recreational furniture in a park ...  so we can give them nicknames and use them as destinations/racing markers?  You know, like daymarkers in RL?  Maybe a few of the pier tips of the new strings of houseboats too?

The LCC would worship you.

I bet that one of your terrific magic Moles could do this in, like, an hour, once the marker items are decided on!  There aren't all THAT many places!    *bats eyes sweetly*

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

Jumping the gun a little here I think :P

How about we wait for LL to finish before we start complaining about lack of sailing area. Except for the channel between the Squishy Pickle and Bellisseria, there's no one-region -wide channel now, yet you can navigate round Belli quite easily, at least unless you plan on sailing an aircraft carrier, which of course is rather out of place in a suburban area ;) 

A look at the SSP continent already tells us what is most likely going to fit the current gap between new and old Belli, and that's a winding river where the roads and railways cross over.

If you look further south, around the Pyri Peaks region, you can also clearly see that LL have added a few extra regions there, so there is now more of an sea between Jeogeot and the new mini-continent there.

Just take a breath and relax: remember when Bellisseria first opened there were no airfields, you could use banlines, and the rez zones weren't identifiable - and LL showed they were pretty quick to resolve those issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Jumping the gun a little here I think :P

How about we wait for LL to finish before we start complaining about lack of sailing area.

That's kind of why we don't have such water around places like Zindra and old mainland.

What is this bizarre 'don't request things' viewpoint that has popped up in here? That's basically how one gets nothing...

A request for a feature to be made is not a complaint.

This has to be the last kind of topic I would have expected to get a clapback argument out of...

• Like 2

There is no "don't request things" viewpoint in my post, I am simply advocating patience.

As evidenced by the number of regions that were added to the Jeogeot coastline before Bellisseria was even released, LL have shown that they aren't just slapping these areas down without a thought - they are in fact planning this with due consideration of the majority of residents' needs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I know that LCC and GTFO are both watching and hoping that this is just their working stage, that in time, we will all see wider areas to sail and enjoy.  As was mentioned, with the houseboats being such a huge hit, it does show that there is a definite love affair with waterways and interacting with the LL oceans.  I also know that I have been hearing quite a few concerns about the width of those coastal water areas, by a number of individuals.  Maybe the Moles and Lindens can look at this thread as a confirmation of the residents desire to have a larger water way and ocean, in time.  Yes, they are right now in the developmental stages, but I would love to see the areas around Bellisseria developed eventually, water-wise, to the point where these areas don't just rival Blake Sea but surpasses it.  

Edited by Vega Firelyte
typo
  • Like 5

For a sightseeing sailor like myself the Belli covenant which prevents low slung skyboxes already makes the experience so much more pleasant than Blake sea. I actually find myself feeling angry so much of the time there when people have taken prime coastal spots, surrounded by caring residents and utterly ruined the wider views for everyone with careless builds...and they must have paid good money in order to do it, which is even more bewildering. 

Anyway, there is no harm at all in reminding busy people that open sea-ways are important, good thread @Pussycat Catnap

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

But we can also look at all the older continents and see that ... as soon as a new project kicks up, this kind of issue has historically been forgotten about.

That's a problem. Examples are the raw south edge of Sansara, and the southeastern corner of Zindra.

A few more water sims along Sansara's southern edge would connect the water route from Bellisseria to the road system of Sansara. You can sail to Sansara now, but can't get anywhere once you're there.

Zindra needs about three more land sims east of the info hub. Four roads that should connect dead-end into nothingness there.  Clearly the plan was to extend the continent, but it didn't get finished.

Where else are there unfinished edges like that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, animats said:

That's a problem. Examples are the raw south edge of Sansara, and the southeastern corner of Zindra.

A few more water sims along Sansara's southern edge would connect the water route from Bellisseria to the road system of Sansara. You can sail to Sansara now, but can't get anywhere once you're there.

Zindra needs about three more land sims east of the info hub. Four roads that should connect dead-end into nothingness there.  Clearly the plan was to extend the continent, but it didn't get finished.

Where else are there unfinished edges like that?

Heterocera is another example.  You will find roads that dead end suddenly and there are some cute areas but, it feels like it is still waiting to be finished over there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vega Firelyte said:

Heterocera is another example.  You will find roads that dead end suddenly and there are some cute areas but, it feels like it is still waiting to be finished over there.

Yeah if you wait till something is 'done' to tell them things you have an interest in being addressed... the team members you wanted to address will have likely been assigned to new projects already... And so stuff never gets cycled back to... So let them know early, while it can still be put into the scrum for the next dev sprint.

Likely anything added now wouldn't be in for 3-4 more sprints at best... so, it's vital to make an effort to get them to put things in, super early... as in this thread itself is way late.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 12:18 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Just take a breath and relax: remember when Bellisseria first opened there were no airfields, you could use banlines, and the rez zones weren't identifiable - and LL showed they were pretty quick to resolve those issues.

People commented about those issues and so those issues got resolved. If people had waited for the continent to be finished, it still wouldn't have happened. That's precisely why it's a good thing to talk about stuff when it can still be changed. It's not about lack of patience... it's about putting the comments out there when it can still make a difference.

In this case, it might be they plan to add more buffers. They have in some areas. But it might also be it wasn't in the plan. We don't know, so it doesn't hurt to talk about it. I would like to see this extend to sorting out the coastlines on all the mainland. Pyri Peaks not having a west coast was always a little odd and it makes sense to sort it as the homes will border it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This just showed up for me on the map WEST of the continent that is South of Bellisseria:

LindenHomeCamPerspective_001.jpg

The -region- the map says I am in is called "Less Watery" on the map. But if you teleport to it you instead end up in "Undine" which on the map is now 2 -regions- west of "Less Watery". :P

I wonder if "Less Watery" got its name in response to this thread... :D Or just happened by chance.

32 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This just showed up for me on the map WEST of the continent that is South of Bellisseria:

LindenHomeCamPerspective_001.jpg

Interesting -- that has all been on my map for a day or two now, though it was spotted on that aviator map a day or two before that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Interesting -- that has all been on my map for a day or two now, though it was spotted on that aviator map a day or two before that.

It was probably there for me too. I just didn't think to look down there until today. Hyper focused on Bellisseria and such... :)

• Like 1

boatoffnorthforepaw.thumb.jpg.685c3f2721f2e179a1372861e5b397cf.jpg

My boat went into a new area, without me. I was trying to edge around the new area and take a look, then go north to my place in Bellisseria. Can't do that right now; key water sims are offline or blocked off. I'm looking forward to the sailable water situation improving.

My least favorite permission combination: avatar cannot enter, but objects can. Violently ejected from the vehicle. Stuck on the bottom of the ocean, unable to move. Boat ran away.

• Sad 3

On 12/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, Polenth Yue said:

In this case, it might be they plan to add more buffers. They have in some areas. But it might also be it wasn't in the plan. We don't know, so it doesn't hurt to talk about it. I would like to see this extend to sorting out the coastlines on all the mainland. Pyri Peaks not having a west coast was always a little odd and it makes sense to sort it as the homes will border it now.

Pyri now has a west coast. Not sure when it happened, but I like the water buffer there between the boat regions.

09c0c-727222c7-8245-4b0c-ad68-50b9b95d5c

Edited by Hendrix Portal

15 minutes ago, Hendrix Portal said:

Pyri now has a west coast. Not sure when it happened, but I like the water buffer there between the boat regions.

It appeared when the rest of the map settled down, so hard to say when it was actually added as the map can be a few days out. They did also shift the island above it back one space for a buffer, so that's a step in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.