Oh, help, low LI curtains?

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Oh help, curtains! 

We have a bedroom with many lovely windows, and it really needs some sort of window treatment.  BUT we are almost out of prims, and 4 more per window is not possible. *regretfully puts away What Next curtains*

I went to the marketplace, there's a gazillion curtains to sort through.  Alpha on prim that claims to be mesh .... sculptie ... probably sculptie .... this could take years.

I want to keep the room light and airy feeling, even a nice valence might do.  *regretfully puts away DDD curtain kit, kinda massive feeling*

Something that looks like a nice sheer would probably be fine.  They do not need to work.  But of course there's alpha in the window glass, so hoping not to add any more alpha across the window.

I was going to just ask in the "Show off your Home & Garden" thread, so many decor geniuses post there, but didn't want to derail.

Ideas?

• Like 1

The Mudhoney Roman shades and relaxed shades are 1 LI when I link off the root prim with the texturechange script. This also has the benefit, I can hang the shades in another room and change the texture without changing the first ones.

If you have the double windows, you need 2 shades. For the narrow ones, like the 2 next to the entrance room in Winchester, it is enough with one.

The Soy reed screen rolled blinds are 1 Li.

The Milk Motion linen curtains are 2 Li each for a double window when they reach the floor. They have alpha blending and will clash with the glass. I am using them with alpha masking and cutoff 200. I think it looks good enough for me. I edit linked parts and the Li does not increase. First I stretch the curtain rod, then both the side curtains.

Do you need to the floor curtains? Maybe shorter ones will be lower Li

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use curtains from LaQ home decor. They are mod so you can stretch them to to correct size. I couldn’t make them to the floor because they would be two  li each, but with some tweaking I was able to make them 1li. Also they have a texture changing hud. 

Edited by Kaylee Romano
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't use curtains per se, I use a shower curtain from a FP bathroom set from {XO}, I just retextured it and edited alpha to make it more transparent. Since they're FP you can modify as you like. They're 1 LI each but when you link 2 you still only use 1 LI. They're not scripted. Personally I never see the need for scripted curtains myself when I can just manually edit them open or closed and do away with the script altogether - but that's personal choice. Easy to drop scripts in if you wanted.

• Like 4

I made some curtains for myself when I had a prim issue on a rental awhile back .  If I make it into the Hop and Shop, they will be out there in the Linden Home section LOL cause we know prims are important there.    I used them happily in my new place where there is no prim issue.  They are typically 1 LI and mod. A few different tintable fabrics. 

image.thumb.png.033079c15046bfc5e4a28ab5b6058146.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I recently bought these: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ValArt-curtain-Snow-white-Gift/18085438

image.png.930e8950a3d01eded8b8da74c2c482cb.png

Please excuse the AO, haha.

They are actually very nice. Pretty sure they are meant to go to the floor, but i'm not complaining. 😃 Actually liked them so much I went and bought some of the other versions this creator has(50L each).

Note: They don't open or close.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This is my add-on with 3 large windows. The curtains are the Toronto Curtains from Bazar. I stretched the wood top - what you call it in English, I don't know. It saves Li so I can use only one of these top planks. This wall with 6 floor length curtains and 1 wood top is 5 Li when linked.

The default curtains are 2 Li. They come in nice patterns and the canvas one is white so you can tint it. If you do as me and stretch the wood plank, you must use another seamless texture, so the wood won't look strange. Any tileable wood will do. Or you can use any other texture that's seamless. You could use the wall texture too, I assume.

curtain_001.jpg

curtain_002.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

I am slowly chewing my way through all these wonderful suggestions!  In thanks to all, I'll post a few review-like notes.

On 11/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, Marianne Little said:

The Mudhoney Roman shades and relaxed shades are 1 LI when I link off the root prim with the texturechange script.

Aha!  Thank you for this hint.  Tell me, do the Roman ones look good if you shrink them vertically so they take up less of the window?  I know the relaxed ones would probably look fine, but those wonderful 3D folds in the more expensive ones are very tempting for the living room!

On 11/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have these in the bedroom of my house.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sheer-Shade-Curtain-b2/5258046

This is just a textured box, and works fine!  How often are you going to cam up close to your windows looking for 3D detail?  With a little touch of wind courtesy of the very fun menu, it created a nice open-window ambiance, without having to actually mess around with flexi params myself.  Because of the alpha, you may wish to make it just a small valence (masking did NOT look good).  Although its notecard makes reference to open/close, I wasn't able to find it in the menu.  But it resizes well, and the freebie curtain script works fine in it (once you remove the menu script).

On 11/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

I own a lot of curtains from OPI.

This is a real find, thank you!

On 11/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, Kaylee Romano said:

I use curtains from LaQ home decor. They are mod so you can stretch them to to correct size. I couldn’t make them to the floor because they would be two  li each, but with some tweaking I was able to make them 1li. Also they have a texture changing hud. 

Reasonably priced at 200, nice textures, and not as deadly triangle-heavy as some of their other low-prim items. 

On 11/25/2019 at 5:10 AM, Chic Aeon said:

I made some curtains for myself when I had a prim issue on a rental awhile back .  If I make it into the Hop and Shop, they will be out there in the Linden Home section LOL cause we know prims are important there.    I used them happily in my new place where there is no prim issue.  They are typically 1 LI and mod. A few different tintable fabrics. 

image.thumb.png.033079c15046bfc5e4a28ab5b6058146.png

What is "Hop and Shop" ?? I would like to buy these but could not dfind them in your MP shop.

4 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

What is "Hop and Shop" ?? I would like to buy these but could not dfind them in your MP shop.

I think she means her inworld store, see her profile.  I went there, there IS a LH section in her prefab room, but as of last night the curtains were not yet there :(

(Her store is not named Hop and Shop btw.  Reminded me of Stop & Shop, the ubiquitous grocery in New England!).

Edited by Nika Talaj

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

That is the big twice yearly Linden "sales" venue.   Lots of turquoise and BIG MALL feel?  I bet you have been there and didn't know what it is called LOL.  

@Clover Jinx  Nothing at all to do with the Winter Expo if you mean the RFL venue opening on the 5th. Hop and Shop opens mid month.    People getting in haven't been notified yet, so fingers crossed.

If I don't get in Leora I will dig them out for you :D.  There are some other really nice looking ones in this link though so the OP is set.  

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. I just thought all you shoppers would KNOW. My mistake. 

This is from last summer:  https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2019/06/hop-and-shop-june-2019-store-list-and.html

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

That is the big twice yearly Linden "sales" venue.   Lots of turquoise and BIG MALL feel?  I bet you have been there and didn't know what it is called LOL.  

I doubt so as I nearly NEVER go to any shopping events.

Could you not just put them into your MP? Or into your inworls shop? (which I hope to find over your MP)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I doubt so as I nearly NEVER go to any shopping events.

Could you not just put them into your MP? Or into your inworls shop? (which I hope to find over your MP)

I will try digging them out. I just found this one set for my new house and it was perfect so didn't look any further.   

AH, found them.  I had taken them off the MP listing (OR THEY GOT UNLISTED?)   LOL.    

Here are the ones in the photo: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/One-Land-Impact-Mesh-Drapes-with-Cornices-All-4-Styles/12561047

These work well in some places and not others (depends on window height and if the windows are WAY high (like mine are in the AF house).   You can see them inworld here:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Peony/157/22/29

And this is a bigger set but no patterns.   

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Cornice-Drapes-ALL-PATTERNS-35-items/12883849

THANKS for this. I didn't even know those were up and not listed.  So now I can find them all for the Hop and Shop as needed :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

This is just a textured box, and works fine!  How often are you going to cam up close to your windows looking for 3D detail?  With a little touch of wind courtesy of the very fun menu, it created a nice open-window ambiance, without having to actually mess around with flexi params myself.  Because of the alpha, you may wish to make it just a small valence (masking did NOT look good).  Although its notecard makes reference to open/close, I wasn't able to find it in the menu.  But it resizes well, and the freebie curtain script works fine in it (once you remove the menu script).

I went back to the house to check this -- I posted in this thread from my MP purchases.  Anyway, went up to the bedroom in the house - hadn't been up there in a while - and the curtains weren't hanging.  I then found a note in the folder in inventory mentioning the alpha issue and that I needed to play with them, but of course I hadn't yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I am slowly chewing my way through all these wonderful suggestions!  In thanks to all, I'll post a few review-like notes.

Aha!  Thank you for this hint.  Tell me, do the Roman ones look good if you shrink them vertically so they take up less of the window?  I know the relaxed ones would probably look fine, but those wonderful 3D folds in the more expensive ones are very tempting for the living room!

I have not tried it before, so I took some pictures. They are expensive yes! The left shade is default.

shades collage.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.