Identifying an alt

usedcars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:00 PM, Simo Vodopan said:

I've got a number of ways of finding out if it's an alt of a person or not. ....

Ofcourse once the jig is up they'll do anything in their power to deny that it's them and yeah, but we know better.

and now we declare you the best inquisitor for finding alts. I'd also suggest a little torture to be sure, but it's your decision.

Against you, the proud ones grovel  and the bold ones tremble.

GOOD JOB. Torquemada will be proud.

*** About the poster : Kweopi is a professional demotivator with multiple experiences in ruining dreams  since 2009.(And an alt, of course.But sure you knew that.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kweopi said:

and now we declare you the best inquisitor for finding alts. I'd also suggest a little torture to be sure, but it's your decision.

Against you, the proud ones grovel  and the bold ones tremble.

GOOD JOB. Torquemada will be proud.

*** About the poster : Kweopi is a professional demotivator with multiple experiences in ruining dreams  since 2009.(And an alt, of course.But sure you knew that.)

Inquisitors in this sector!? Now that's an Exterminautus if I've ever seen one.... we must cleanse this unholy site of heresy indeed!

(If anyone gets the reference kudos)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I didn't say that specific post did, it has to do with the TOPIC of this thread, though. My later post refers specifically to your topic, however.

No,it's not, maybe to you it is because you wouldn't do it, but it's not nearly as odd as you think. What's odd, to me, and probably other people (as already pointed out, that probably is a definite) that buy fp or make fl stuff, is that your first thing to do was jump to "OMG it's an alt, doing nefarious things". I've been a fp creator, I buy from fp creators...your approach to someone giving you money for your goods is weird af to me. 

I don't need to, the community standards for here already does that :D  We're not allowed to do it, regardless of who we are, or why we're doing it.

You sure are, and you should do so. Your claims have nothing at all do with that protection, though. I am 100% for protecting one's work, at all times. I support that, and I stand by that support of creators. 

Like claim they know things they don't, or can't, and try to cause trouble for other people after profiting off them, even.

Like I said, I've been there, I've had a creator here who also used to sell fp stuff (probably still does, at least I hope so, that person did do fabulous work) go batpoop crazy because I bought several items that they were selling. I was accused of everything in the book....for no real reason, lol. That used to be my favorite fp creator too, I was kind of sad when that ended. I'm a mere peon, not even a cog in the machine, really, so, that person's loss of my sales will have likely meant stuff all to them. It definitely meant way more to me though, as the purchaser, accused of sinister things I didn't do.  Making wild claims against people just because you and that person have some kind of tiff between you, won't bode well for either party, honestly. It's more likely to get your own self blacklisted by people who would otherwise purchase your stuff.

Hell I own some of your stuff too, not that it should matter, as my opinion definitely does not matter in the grand scheme, and certainly never would matter more than the opinion of another. I wouldn't have ought anything of yours if I didn't think you were a good creator, no one would. I don't think people are going around buying your wares simply to piss you off, that's a bit far fetched lol.  I'm just saying things like that tend to backfire and make others who would likely shop for fp stuff avoid you like the plague out of fear that should they buy more than one item, or also be a fp seller themselves...they'll be next on the list (or worse, lumped in with that. eh hem "gang", lol)

I'm not trying to cause trouble for her.  Truly I'm not. And there is no Tiff between us. I did have one customer literally buy almost everything in my store, which is a bit unusual, so I looked at their MP store. I didn't see my things being used in anything they made. So it does make you wonder what they are doing with the stuff. And I'm sure I am not the only fp person around that this sort of thing would trigger alarms with. And thank you for the compliment and for buying some of my things : ) And I think my Group and my customers are aware how much I appreciate them. And I certainly don't think she bought my things to make me mad. The "gang" I refer to is quite different than what you might be imagining. And I can't explain it here without digging myself a deeper hole. But pretty much they like to cause trouble for people and that seems to be a major past time for them in SL. So the bottom line here, and I hope this all ends here, is that I have not tiffs with her or rivalries. I'm not trying to cause her any trouble. I'm just hoping the feeling is mutual.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Katz Republic said:

I did have one customer literally buy almost everything in my store, which is a bit unusual, so I looked at their MP store. I didn't see my things being used in anything they made. So it does make you wonder what they are doing with the stuff.

Maybe she just thought you were hot and wanted to get your attention?

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2931f3342df45c46a9e7

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katz Republic said:

I did have one customer literally buy almost everything in my store, which is a bit unusual, so I looked at their MP store. I didn't see my things being used in anything they made. So it does make you wonder what they are doing with the stuff. 

Using it for their own personal use perhaps? I do that a lot, because full-perm mesh templates (usually) come with texture maps etc, which makes it easier to re-texture them than regular modifyable but not full-perm items. If a fatpack of no-mod t-shirts with 12 colours is L$200 but the same template full-perm is L$300, you can bet I'm gonna spend the little bit extra and buy the full-perm one. Then I've got 65,000 colours.

Setting them all up for sale? I don't have time for that.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Katz Republic said:

My post has nothing to do with alt shaming. I don't care how many she has. I think the point is how you use them and why you have them. I myself was made as an alt. My original account had 2 alts. I'm one of them. Being a full perm content creator I would never use an alt to go to another fp creators store to join their group and buy tons of merchandise. I mean, what is she going to do with all of it? And why would she do that I think is the main question. And instead of sneaking around about it, why didn't she use her actual account to do it? People have told me that she went on some kind of rant on her Facebook page about some competitor trying to set it up to make it look like she was a copybotter.  When someone's mind works like that it's hard to tell what they're thinking. I guess the main question remains is why didn't she use her own account to make all these purchases with. Were her intentions less than honorable? If she wanted to rip apart and dissect something I did to see how I did it, she could have asked me. It would have saved her a ton of money and saved me a lot of anxiety. There's something just not right about this whole situation.

I don't see how it matters which account people use to buy content; we're allowed to, aren't we?

I haven't sought out fp stuff before so I might be wrong, but my understanding is that as long as the buyer isn't breaching any conditions of the purchase (eg. selling under a certain amount, or selling the item as is without significant modifications), what they do with the item they purchased is their business and within their rights, including dissecting the items.

I can only guess you're paranoid that a certain person has used an alt to purchase from you to avoid being caught breaching your T&C under their main account. If that's what you're saying, then I empathize. If I was a full perm creator, I think I'd worry about that sort of thing. But I also think you should be mindful of the signals you're sending as a seller. I mean, if I were to spend a considerable amount of money at a store, and the thanks I get is suspicion and/or accusations, then that would be very uncool.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Katz Republic said:

I'm not trying to cause trouble for her.  Truly I'm not. And there is no Tiff between us. I did have one customer literally buy almost everything in my store, which is a bit unusual, so I looked at their MP store. I didn't see my things being used in anything they made. So it does make you wonder what they are doing with the stuff. And I'm sure I am not the only fp person around that this sort of thing would trigger alarms with. And thank you for the compliment and for buying some of my things : ) And I think my Group and my customers are aware how much I appreciate them. And I certainly don't think she bought my things to make me mad. The "gang" I refer to is quite different than what you might be imagining. And I can't explain it here without digging myself a deeper hole. But pretty much they like to cause trouble for people and that seems to be a major past time for them in SL. So the bottom line here, and I hope this all ends here, is that I have not tiffs with her or rivalries. I'm not trying to cause her any trouble. I'm just hoping the feeling is mutual.

There was once a store (not yours) that I did my damndest to buy nearly everything she produced, in just a few days, because at the time I could and I just loved her stuff. I'm still buying some of her creations I wanted years ago.

My point is, regardless of whether or not I (or anyone) uses FP in their creations, if your creations are "good enough" there is always at least one person who would buy everything you produce, if they have the means to do so. That's just how humans work.

It's nothing to get paranoid over. It's nothing more than a customer who loves your work enough to want it all even if they can't afford to buy it all. Like me.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

Me and my alt. His name is Glory, and I think of him as a brother; the kind of brother that you don't actually like that much and you're only nice to him cos he's family. Turns out that today is the first time I've logged him in for more than a year. 

200212_001.thumb.jpg.1a0eef97422c5561342ba004f87f1ccd.jpg

I see where I get my sometimes-blonde hair from now...

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

I don't see how it matters which account people use to buy content; we're allowed to, aren't we?

I haven't sought out fp stuff before so I might be wrong, but my understanding is that as long as the buyer isn't breaching any conditions of the purchase (eg. selling under a certain amount, or selling the item as is without significant modifications), what they do with the item they purchased is their business and within their rights, including dissecting the items.

I can only guess you're paranoid that a certain person has used an alt to purchase from you to avoid being caught breaching your T&C under their main account. If that's what you're saying, then I empathize. If I was a full perm creator, I think I'd worry about that sort of thing. But I also think you should be mindful of the signals you're sending as a seller. I mean, if I were to spend a considerable amount of money at a store, and the thanks I get is suspicion and/or accusations, then that would be very uncool.

Right?

Can't go anywhere these days without feeling like a criminal somewhere, welcome to Second Life where accusations are thrown everywhere regardless of action being done. "Damned if we do, damned if we don't, there's always gonna be at least one triggered person".

>Simply exist, accusations fly.

• Like 1

Hell, it's not easy being an alt.  People that don't even know anything about you will judge you and find you sub par.  Not only that, your loved ones will never quite trust you because they know what you could do even though you don't. Now I've learned that the simple act of purchasing things will make some people suspect you of even more dastardly deeds. Where's the humanity?

image.png.30482481c94c572b801cdeaf0be71db6.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.