I am Too Complicated

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is mine...….I don't have a clue what that means, except I give out too many likes, and laugh too much, and thank too much, and get sad too easily, and am always confused...…..

All that in under sixteen months.

Addicted? Me???

df2753adeeef0be388710419f50a0567.png

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/9/2019 at 12:29 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Like Rolig, I hadn't realized this metric was available in our profiles. Seeing the distribution right there in front of me isn't shocking, but is food for thought. The distribution of my "Reactions Given" is quite different from "Reactions Received", and may explain my inability to shake the perception that I'm intimidating.

1436470811_ScreenShot2019-09-09at12_22_20PM.png.2ea055add828206b853ca30e47361c5f.png

Two things stand out to me:

• I don't give as much as I receive.
    I'd like to blame this on my years of participation in the Answers forum, where you'd expect a low ratio. I might be fooling myself.

• I'm stone-faced.
    Though I do laugh out loud in public settings, it's exceedingly rare for me to do so when alone. Right or wrong, this is how I've approached my use of the "Haha" button. I truly enjoy the wit, humor, and warmth you all bring to the forums, and I hope that shows through my lack of laughter.

ETA1: My confused ratio has climbed 0.02% because of this thread, so there's that consolation.
    ETA2: Thanks, Lindal!
    ETA3: Thanks, Par!
    ETA4: Thanks, Klytyna and Morena! (And anyone who clicks "Confused" on any of my posts in the future. My ETA window is closing.)

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My confused ratio has climbed 0.02% because of this thread, so there's that consolation.

Were it anyone other than you, I'd be confused as to why this was to be considered a "good thing."

But as it is you, near kin to chaos . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Untitled2.png.b497e0d6f1635ce300df34de35645a7f.png

^ And there be mine for what that's worth. As to why;

💙 If I agree with a post, or see a post supporting others, or to support or encourage others, I like it. 

🏆 If I find a post helpful, or think a point made is pertinent, I thank.

😄 If I find something funny, whether or not I genuinely laugh in RL or just appreciate the fact someone is attempting humour that's not obviously intended to provoke others, I laugh.

😢 If I'm attempting to express sympathy or empathize, I select the sad face.

😕 If I don't understand a post, or I am confused as to why someone would choose to respond in what I perceive as a consciously negative manner, I select the confused face.

It's not exactly rocket science. No doubt there are those with differing and ulterior motives.

Consciously I make the effort where possible to spread the focus so it doesn't seem like I am "playing favourites". The fact is there are members who do contribute positively and those who provoke for whatever reason. I'll admit initially when I first started posting I did care about reaching that first 1000 posts just so I could change my title. Then I changed it and the novelty wore off pretty quick. Now I post when I have something to say and react to others similarly. Sadly there's too much room for misinterpretation without non-verbal queues to decipher. A lot of people have their own opinions on what even those emojis represent. Recently I saw people clash over the use of a sad-face emoji as one thought it was a personal attack and the other saying it was meant to be sympathetic. Throw in cultural and language differences and no wonder so many people are confused. Many of us can't even read a sentence without getting offended these days...

I type a lot because I try where I can to avoid confusion (though clearly it still happens). I overthink everything, yes, and I usually spend a good long while going over and editing my posts (particularly longer ones) before I actually post them. I'm continually amazed at those who can post within seconds and pick out flaws of others' posts without putting much thought into their responses; just react when a more thoughtfully considered question to verify might actually go a lot further. No doubt that accounts for a good percentage of the confused faces (that and the general confusion as to why I in particular bother ranting at all). As much as I'd like to think the numbers themselves don't mean anything, I'm certain to some they do. Whether it's competitiveness or boredom who really knows. I certainly don't think they reflect activity or post content with any real accuracy.

Rather than find validation in numbers I find it more rewarding when someone posts (or sends an IM) saying thank you, or selects the like or thanks button, or laughs (if I'm trying to be funny, not to be sarcastic... though sometimes sarcasm itself is pretty funny so long as it's not ill-intentioned). It feels good to brighten someone's day even if it is a relatively simple or trivial matter to others.

Before I ever started posting I read many answers to questions particularly by @Rolig Loon, @Lindal Kidd and @Madelaine McMasters that helped me when it seemed like no one else would or could. They were and continue to be role models (penchant for setting people on fire notwithstanding). Their posts made me want to give something positive back, and I usually strive where I can to keep paying it forward. Even if 9/10 people don't read what I type there's that possibility that someone will and it helps them in some way. I'm sure not everyone actually wants to be helpful and that's their prerogative; to each their own. To me the numbers are great but not why I keep posting and responding. Unfortunately the negativity, confusion and trolling isn't going away any time soon, sadly. 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.