Lindal Kidd

I am Too Complicated

4 hours ago, roseelvira said:

so i do not understand what does win of the day mean  who won  what does that have to do with the forums

If you are interested in who won other days or other misc stats:

https://community.secondlife.com/leaderboard

ETA:  Oh, and if you want to have a better chance at winning more, start posting photos in the various Look at Me threads. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Fundamentally, it's figuring out how involved you are in keeping the forum culture alive, and it's telling Linden Lab some handy details about what we are all doing here. 

I love this perspective on it. Yes. And that's why it is at least notionally important -- not because of the way in which it putatively might help "engineer" behaviour here, nor because it establishes a pecking order, but because it is a means of measuring the health of the community.

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I don't think anyone here knows how the secret formula works, but that's OK. We can be entertained by looking at the results. The more competitive people in the crowd can get excited about getting more points than their friends, and we can all make little games trying to figure out what it all means.  Mostly, it's just silly.

Certainly, the competitive aspect of it is silly. But sometimes the stats are meaningful. In your case, a really large percent were accrued in Answers, before this gamification was introduced (largely unnecessarily, I think) into the rest of the forums. And those "likes" -- the ones you earned helping people, matter a great deal, at least to me.

For others of us, including myself, not so much. A very healthy proportion of my reputation points come from the vanity threads, and although, as I've said elsewhere before, I think that "likes" in that little sub-community fulfill a worthwhile function, they don't translate for the purposes of comparison with other parts of these forums.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

ETA:  Oh, and if you want to have a better chance at winning more, start posting photos in the various Look at Me threads. 

What this (surprisingly!) suggests is that I'm an even better attention whore than @Rhonda Huntress.

Or . . . that posh boobs are a more effective means of gathering likes than her (admittedly very shapely) ass.

Or both.

ETA. I'd like to thank the Academy . . .

I actually don't understand this stat. Do these points represent a particular span of time?

And seriously, Rhonda's butt is waaaaaaaaaay nicer than anything I have to offer. I find this metric highly suspect.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I actually don't understand this stat. Do these points represent a particular span of time?

The points span this version of the forum and the prior one, where you only scored points for answering questions. You've already mention this regarding Rolig, Lindal and others who built most of their reputations, a point at a time, by answering questions. The new iteration of the forum has, I think, significantly reduced traffic in Answers. That's not only because of Likes now being awarded everywhere, but also because the Answers area isn't quite as easy to police for new questions.

The current system rewards a significantly different kind of forum participation and is, I think, achieving it.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The current system rewards a significantly different kind of forum participation and is, I think, achieving it.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure it's had a (conscious) impact on my own postings -- although it is nice to be able to "reward" someone for a particularly pertinent, insightful, or witty post.

What is LL trying to achieve here, do you think? What exactly are they succeeding at?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure it's had a (conscious) impact on my own postings -- although it is nice to be able to "reward" someone for a particularly pertinent, insightful, or witty post.

What is LL trying to achieve here, do you think? What exactly are they succeeding at?

I don't know that LL is trying to achieve anything. As I recall, the new rewards system came with the new forum, or shortly thereafter. The bifurcation of Likes into the five kinds we have might be a conscious attempt to increase resident engagement, or it could be the result of a marketing e-mail from the forum software provider, showcasing another company's success with "Haha".

While it was nice to reward people for answering questions about LL, the new system encourages virtually any kind of participation. And the result seems to be a shift in traffic away from Answers (and perhaps Technical) towards photography. I haven't been logging post counts in the forum, so I can't say whether overall traffic has gone up as a result of the new system. It doesn't seem so to me, but I've no reason to think that my perception is accurate.

I am an outlier here, spending very little time in-world. This shift towards image based posting moves me a bit further to the edges, but that's fine. The forums should encourage activity in-world, not provide an alternative to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't know that LL is trying to achieve anything. As I recall, the new rewards system came with the new forum, or shortly thereafter. The bifurcation of Likes into the five kinds we have might be a conscious attempt to increase resident engagement, or it could be the result of a marketing e-mail from the forum software provider, showcasing another company's success with "Haha".

While it was nice to reward people for answering questions about LL, the new system encourages virtually any kind of participation. And the result seems to be a shift in traffic away from Answers (and perhaps Technical) towards photography. I haven't been logging post counts in the forum, so I can't say whether overall traffic has gone up as a result of the new system. It doesn't seem so to me, but I've no reason to think that my perception is accurate.

I am an outlier here, spending very little time in-world. This shift towards image based posting moves me a bit further to the edges, but that's fine. The forums should encourage activity in-world, not provide an alternative to it.

Interesting. I agree entirely that the forums should, as you say, encourage in-world engagement, rather than substitute for it. In some ways, though, the old system, with the greater focus on "Answers" (which were, most often, about in-world things) did that to some degree. I wonder, as a side note, if people feel generally "less supported" now than before? I should think not: they are just more likely to ask for help in the other forums.

(Side note to my side note: is the tone of the responses people get when they ask questions in, say, GD, the same as they might have once got in "Answers"? My sense is maybe no? That people who responded in "Answers" were/are there because they enjoy helping; as generally positive as the community in GD is, there is a great likelihood of a facetious or even perhaps derisive response here. Maybe?)

It's difficult to gauge the current popularity of "My Avatar" versus GD -- the stats we have go back to at least 2011 (for GD), or 2009 (for other forums). There's no denying that "My Avatar" is a popular forum -- but really, there are only two or three threads there that are really popular, and those are frequented by, I don't know -- maybe 40 or 50 people generally? I wonder if you don't overestimate its impact (although I like your notion that images and photographs encourage in-world engagement).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Interesting. I agree entirely that the forums should, as you say, encourage in-world engagement, rather than substitute for it. In some ways, though, the old system, with the greater focus on "Answers" (which were, most often, about in-world things) did that to some degree. I wonder, as a side note, if people feel generally "less supported" now than before? I should think not: they are just more likely to ask for help in the other forums.

(Side note to my side note: is the tone of the responses people get when they ask questions in, say, GD, the same as they might have once got in "Answers"? My sense is maybe no? That people who responded in "Answers" were/are there because they enjoy helping; as generally positive as the community in GD is, there is a great likelihood of a facetious or even perhaps derisive response here. Maybe?)

It's difficult to gauge the current popularity of "My Avatar" versus GD -- the stats we have go back to at least 2011 (for GD), or 2009 (for other forums). There's no denying that "My Avatar" is a popular forum -- but really, there are only two or three threads there that are really popular, and those are frequented by, I don't know -- maybe 40 or 50 people generally? I wonder if you don't overestimate its impact (although I like your notion that images and photographs encourage in-world engagement).

I don't think I've noticed much change in tone over in Answers. The regulars, though uniformly even-tempered and happy to help, were not the only ones to provide answers. Traffic does seem to be down there, but that could also be due to my spending less time looking. Rolig and Lindal might have a better grasp on this.

The impact I see in the forums is on the distribution of posts, not the quantity of them. Total forum activity seems a little lower now than in the past.

As an example, I'll use Answers powerhouse Rolig Loon. She has, until recently, pretty much kept to answering questions. Now she's become a goodwill ambassador of sorts, posting pictures of her travels in Bellisseria. It's a very nice thing to see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, I don't mean that my avatar's complexity is too high.

I happened to look at my Forum Reputation page,  and discovered...

reactions.jpg.63a565cc39f9f99b52ec3c732817a0ff.jpg

...that I have confused 44 people and made another 29 people sad.

This will never do.  I wish always to be helpful, informative, clear, cheerful and upbeat!

Now that I have made that very clear...

...stop reacting negatively, darn it!

(EDIT:  That means you, Alwin!  Yes, I saw what you did there!)

I voted 'Sad'.  Just wanted to even things up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The default timespan is the last month, there is a place to select other time periods, a day, a week, all time. It really is a measure of how many pictures you posted. Rhonda does not post as many pictures of her behind as some of us, so she does not rack up the points she deserves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i have decided that everyone who has less reputation points than posts is gunna get Liked whether they like it or not. Am gunna be here a while tho with people like Rolig and Qie who have 10000s of posts from the olden days. But I will hunt them all down and Like them

starting with everybody in this thread who is below 100% :)

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

For years and years, you were very much subdued under a very strong-willed and strong-voiced partner. You never used to talk at all. You would remain silent at meetings. Then, that person left SL and you began to find your voice. And now you boom it out whenever the whim strikes you. Perhaps it will balance out some day; perhaps not.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The people who were on the Second Life Leader Board (which was based on inworld activity under the old reputational system) have 1) died in RL 2) left SL 3) have been forgotten. I do have a picnic set one of them made that is like 100 prims though. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When I won the day one time, I don't think it was from people liking my posts. I think more likely laughing at one where I was taking the P out of myself which I am very happy about.  Some people on these forums take themselves far too seriously so if I get a laugh I am over the moon with it because for a nano second I brightened someones day. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

Rhonda does not post as many pictures of her behind as some of us, so she does not rack up the points she deserves. 

Well then, I vote we see more (in every possible sense of that word) of Rhonda's behind.

(BTW, bonus points to you for using the word "rack" in that sentence. I saw what you did there!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do not have  a competitive personality  in sl or rl  and i did not understand what the point thinggies were about. I look at the forums and a way  to learn about how to do  make things in second life and when people get upset try to calm them down real life has way ro much pain on many levels and there some where needs to be a safe place a soft place to land  , I know on a few bad day the jokes you  shared  got me and my rl husband  ( his chemo treatment days)  laughing . You are all blessings and very special and much loved . Hugging every one and yep in rl as i post this tears of gratefulness for all of yous,,,, ok ,,, getting a bit too weepy  anyway  love you guys

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i have decided that everyone who has less reputation points than posts is gunna get Liked whether they like it or not. Am gunna be here a while tho with people like Rolig and Qie who have 10000s of posts from the olden days. But I will hunt them all down and Like them

starting with everybody in this thread who is below 100% :)

Just for something to help keep the brain occupied I have been working towards a 1000 point spread. shiftyeyes.gif.c835fd5e89fa437ec59f3f78ec4ecd9d.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

When I won the day one time, I don't think it was from people liking my posts. I think more likely laughing at one where I was taking the P out of myself which I am very happy about.  Some people on these forums take themselves far too seriously so if I get a laugh I am over the moon with it because for a nano second I brightened someones day. 

I have a few spare lead balloons if you need them. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

I do not have  a competitive personality  in sl or rl  and i did not understand what the point thinggies were about. I look at the forums and a way  to learn about how to do  make things in second life and when people get upset try to calm them down real life has way ro much pain on many levels and there some where needs to be a safe place a soft place to land  , I know on a few bad day the jokes you  shared  got me and my rl husband  ( his chemo treatment days)  laughing . You are all blessings and very special and much loved . Hugging every one and yep in rl as i post this tears of gratefulness for all of yous,,,, ok ,,, getting a bit too weepy  anyway  love you guys

Once upon a time, I was like you. Don't let anything ever change that. The world needs more people like you so the rest of us don't become so jaded. grouphug.gif.5332ec07b98259fba44115fb699a5ddc.gifhearts.gif.4559236a0dd3129d236b77459bb25184.gif

And you can keep the smilies, my gift to you. Just right click and save them so you can use them in your posts. flower.gif.320da2d0352b384198af95a0dcb794e4.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

...sets you on fire and watches the steam vent from your teary eyes. Use the steam to take the wrinkles out of one of hubby's shirts. And when you're finally out of steam, set him on fire for me.

And tell him this story...

During my first chemo treatment with Taxotere, the television in my hospital room played, over and over, advertisements for a class action lawsuit against the maker of... Taxotere. I already found that amusing enough, but when the attending nurse expressed her mortification over it, I burst out laughing and had to console her.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

My rl husband said tell Madelaine  " you forgot the starch , I like my shirts starched" lololol hugs hugs hugs to every one and tons of love

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Talligurl said:
20 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

In my case it means I showed off my ass like the attention whore I am and got the most reactions on that day ...

Yes, exactly, winning the day, means you were attention whore of the day. A title I have won a few times myself.

I ain’t won forever, probably as punishment!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't think I've noticed much change in tone over in Answers. The regulars, though uniformly even-tempered and happy to help, were not the only ones to provide answers. Traffic does seem to be down there, but that could also be due to my spending less time looking. Rolig and Lindal might have a better grasp on this.

The impact I see in the forums is on the distribution of posts, not the quantity of them. Total forum activity seems a little lower now than in the past.

I agree, Maddy.  The tone in Answers has stayed pretty upbeat.  We've had an occasional "helper" who decides to make snarky comments or try to deliberately snow some poor newbie with technobabble, but the regulars are a pretty good lot.  Most have been with Answers for years, so we don't have to spend a lot of time guessing what the OP means or how to find an answer.  We each have some special area of interest and expertise too.  I typically defer to Nalates on hardware issues and I step aside to let Lindal handle land questions.  They usually wait till I grab the scripting questions.

I started hanging out in Answers in about 2008, when Void Singer made some comment about getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again.  It turns out that she meant "in the Scripting forum," but I took it as a suggestion to do what I could in Answers.  It just became a habit.  I suppose I would have stayed solely with Answers and Scripting if the tone in GD hadn't changed a few years ago. I'm fairly even-tempered but I don't have much patience with trolls and others who are deliberately nasty.  Since about 2014, it seems that a number of those people I had been avoiding in GD left, and the ones I enjoyed reading were on the ascendant, so I wandered in and have been enjoying myself.

• Like 6