Psychology of de-rendering

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Gadget Portal said:

Actually, if I can be serious for a second (it happens), the real reason is the scripted stuff is usually no modify and/or mess up your body if you try to change without getting naked in the process. 

Which could arguably be a good thing too. 

true dat. I sometimes have to do a relog to clear confused autohides from several costume changes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I de-render frequently - which is probably not a great surprise to some. Unlike popular opinion I don't want to see (my definition of) "ugly" wherever I go as much as I can help it; there's enough of that I can't escape in the real world. That's not to say I expect perfection; there's beauty in the flawed if its done well but some are beyond that and reaching eyesore territory. At least here if something truly annoys me in some way I can deal with it quickly with a click of a button, no muss, no fuss, and no hurt feelings. I don't feel anything untoward about it. Most times, and especially if it's a blacklisted de-render, once its gone I forget it ever was - unless it left a great gaping hole in the landscape etc. I've not thought to stop and consider if I should feel anything about it beyond relief whatever it was is now gone. And the fact I'm happier for it. I've got bigger more pressing RL issues to think about.

Generally I de-render anything full bright around me (sorry neighbours!) If I'm at a shopping event I de-render all but friends (that is to help my FPS more than anything). If I'm taking photos I de-render what's in the way or casting shadows where I don't want them and can't change etc. It should be said that I usually temporarily de-render most things, but especially full bright I black list, never to be seen again. That's because I do make use of various windlights. The one I often use cycles through day/night so FB anything (unless it serves a purpose, like flames) tend to stand out against the darkness, and if they do, they go. It's that simple.

If people bump me (and it happens) I don't worry about it. If they push in a way that's deliberately griefing I block them and go somewhere else where possible. If I'm entering a crowded event I fly upwards if I can to get away from the crowd and then as said de-render all but friends. I might apologize sometimes in local if someone mentions being bumped, even if I'm uncertain they're addressing me - it just seems like the courteous thing to do. Most people are friendly and understanding. The odd one or two get shirty and that's their choice. I have no worries about anyone sneaking up on me because if they're friends I'll see them. If not, then what? I can't worry about what I can't see until it's brought to my attention via other means. Out of sight, out of mind. Or ignorance is bliss. Or both, probably.

I've never considered de-rendering a bad thing. Personally I take the SL tagline literally; Your World, Your imagination. So it is MY world when I log in (or my slice of it, I'm not laying claim to the entirety of it, just my humble little account) and my choice to some degree what I see or what I don't need to. If people want to de-render me and all my "stuff" then they can. Even if they tell me I really don't care. They're just pixels and its your prerogative to take control over what you want in your world or don't. I'm not about to lose sleep over it. I still don't really see anything odd about anyone's decision to do so or not. The way I see it, it's just an option at our collective disposal. Kind of like commonsense. Some people use it, some people don't. Some should in my humble opinion and for whatever reason don't. But that's a whole other conversation, really. ;) 

• Like 2

I derender/blacklist around my Linden home.  I wanted an unobstructed view of the water so the houseboats blocking my view and the objects in them went Poof!  It took maybe 15 minutes, and I would have been sitting in my house anyway so why not?  I even blacklisted the docks, so I can sit on they rocks at the edge of my parcel and look out at the water.  I blacklisted a neighbor's house and belongings because he built a gawdawful (i.e. poorly textured) addition to the house that just hurt my eyes.  Sure, the lot is empty, but that happens in RL subdivisions too.  At least it's clean and the Moles have provided trees and other landscaping. 

I "show friends only" at crowded events and will usually fly if allowed so I don't bump into people.  When I shop, I'm not there to look at other avatars.  I'm there to look at the items for sale.

I've blocked/muted numerous people, especially those who leave their mics open so I have to listen to their TV blaring or their kid screaming and those who gesturbate like their lives depend on it,    I can't be "immersed" in SL if I hear someone yelling at her husband to pick up his dirty undies. 

• Haha 1

The first thing I did when I bought my water parcel was derender/blacklist the dock/club/pier between me and the open sea. It's seldom used, I think I've seen people over there once. I've  derendered ugly border markers put up by neighbors. I don't mind seeing neighbors' builds or even skyboxes, usually, but I do like having an unobstructed view of sailboats going by.

I derender as necessary but usually for short periods of time and then clear the list out.  I think the controls we have are great for controlling what we don't want to see though if we could derender all objects based on a name/owner combination rather than object instance ID (which is how it works now), I would really love it.  It would allow us to derender repetitively rezzing items which is futile at the moment.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

I don't derender except to fix something breaking SL. An avatar that's crashing my viewer, or something like that. I'll block avatars & objects with annoying looping gesture sounds. I was blocking people with their mics open doing stupid crap, but I think I'll start filming them now instead.

I use this around my land on the mainland to get rid of crappy low hanging sky boxes and other unsightly prim puke if there's no option to put up masking walls. You have the right to build what you want on your land. You don't have the right to force me to look at it. I'll also derender stuff around airports I land at regularly to cut down on texture render lag. I don't feel like it hurts my SL experience at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

I use this around my land on the mainland to get rid of crappy low hanging sky boxes and other unsightly prim puke if there's no option to put up masking walls. You have the right to build what you want on your land. You don't have the right to force me to look at it. I'll also derender stuff around airports I land at regularly to cut down on texture render lag. I don't feel like it hurts my SL experience at all.

This is why living on mainland (or any estate land that doesn't have a land compact) is a fate worse than camping in skyboxes. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.