Psychology of de-rendering

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tend to really overthink things. I always want to know what's at the root of everything, and why certain things are looked at in different ways by people.

With de-rendering, some people will happily have their viewer to set show friends only, and click click away, de-rendering objects they don't like. I feel so odd if I do this. Even if people and things make my fps drop to 2.5, I want to see what's around me! If I erase parts of SL it feels like a malfunction. I know things and people are there, they're just ghosts, and I feel "off"

Do others feel like this? And what basic factor in people do you think causes the difference? Is it immersion? Is it a "my world, my way" thing, rather than accepting all the speed bumps and imperfections at face value? I also wonder if people who erase parts also are the same ones who always use their own windlights. I feel like that's connected.

Just curious what others think.

• Like 2

i use de render only to get rid of things and people that are excessively lag inducing

example the person in the parcle next to mine flooded there land with complex items to the point my FPS went down to 3.  rather than sell my land i started derendering stuff until i was back to a acceptable frame rate. not complaining other than her overly stuffed build she is a great neighbor.

So i see it this way Derendering is a tool to turn good neighbors into great ones.

• Like 3

I’m not beset by visuals (or by others’ need to strut like peacocks), most are just a once-over for me, so on my previous PC I used to derender a lot of eye candy. Less so now, but I still far prioritize usable FPS.

Edited by Ren Toxx

I understand the why of it all, either performance or aesthetic, just trying to figure out why most are indifferent to taking those things out of the equation.. Is it truly out of sight out of mind? If I derender anything, it's like a hangnail that's still there, only even worse now that I can't see it. It's like I'm in denial and aware I'm in denial and don't *want* to be in denial!

Maybe part of it is wanting to see what everyone else sees, no exceptions. A hive mind thing....

It's an interesting phenomenon, derendering something you want to have out of your (visual) way. No matter what reason (you're trying to make a snapshot, or it's just a plain eyesore, or, as you mentioned, to increase your frame rate), you know it's still there, in your mental map, and I can appreciate that derendering would trigger feelings of cheating or guilt. Interestingly, it's a feeling unique to Second life. I know of no other situaltion in this universe that triggers the same feeling.

Should you feel off or odd? I think it's a healthy human response that could be related to someone's capability to empathize (and ability to feel spooked :D).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I know of no other situaltion in this universe that triggers the same feeling.

Should you feel off or odd? I think it's a healthy human response that could be related to someone's capability to empathize (and ability to feel spooked :D).

We 'derender' so much of reality in both RL and SL that we really should feel spooked all the time...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morena Tully said:

I tend to really overthink things. I always want to know what's at the root of everything, and why certain things are looked at in different ways by people.

With de-rendering, some people will happily have their viewer to set show friends only, and click click away, de-rendering objects they don't like. I feel so odd if I do this. Even if people and things make my fps drop to 2.5, I want to see what's around me! If I erase parts of SL it feels like a malfunction. I know things and people are there, they're just ghosts, and I feel "off"

Do others feel like this? And what basic factor in people do you think causes the difference? Is it immersion? Is it a "my world, my way" thing, rather than accepting all the speed bumps and imperfections at face value? I also wonder if people who erase parts also are the same ones who always use their own windlights. I feel like that's connected.

Just curious what others think.

It's no different from blocking someone who harasses you. It's just a different form of harassment you are blocking/de-rendering.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

I have some annoying coworkers I would love to derender today.

In SL I don’t derender things or avatars usually. I enjoy seeing how people present themselves and create environments. It’s not an immersion thing for me, since I’m never particularly immersed. And I often use a windlight that differs from the region setting.

1 hour ago, Morena Tully said:

I also wonder if people who erase parts also are the same ones who always use their own windlights. I feel like that's connected.

I don't derender, even at large shopping events.

I use my own lighting all the time.

Both for the same reason.  I like to see what's around me

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's no different from blocking someone who harasses you. It's just a different form of harassment you are blocking/de-rendering.

I should add I don't block anyone... Once or twice I have, temporarily til  I was confident it had blown over, then unblocked.. I do block spamming objects though!

38 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I like immersion and feeling like I'm totally seeing what's 'there' (including what others create or exist as) so I accept quite a bit, but if something is very problematic I would derender it.

That's more or less my own attitude.  I don't block or de-render things.  Ignoring them takes less effort.

• Like 1

The only time I do “Show friends only” is if I’m at a super crowded shopping event. Most of the time though I don’t derender individual objects, because I like looking at things the way whoever made them intended them to be seen. I get that people derender for performance reasons, so I don’t knock it.

As far as why people do it, I’d say it’s a combination of performance issues, SL my way, and just because they can.

Just now, Morena Tully said:

I should add I don't block anyone... Once or twice I have, temporarily til  I was confident it had blown over, then unblocked.. I do block spamming objects though!

Very few make it to my permanent block list. Those that do deserve far worse for making it necessary for me block them permanently.

I derender to...

• To fix issues with the rendering of objects I don't have permissions to fix
  • Remove objects or jellydolls that are affecting or in the way of the end result of my photograph. Examples of objects being weather mesh systems, mesh sun rays, or poorly positioned objects with baked cast shadows floating in midair.

Otherwise, everyone is jellydolled. I think that's about it.

Do note that with the Black Dragon viewer, you do have some extra client-side only control to force items (where you don't have permissions) to masked alpha or even remove baked cast shadows if you wanted. So, you don't always have to derender.

Edited by Kurshie Muromachi

I derender on a temporary basis quite regularly, when taking snapshots, to get rid of objects or people that are in the way of an otherwise great shot.

Then there was the time I tried to de-render an ugly skybox that was in view of my own, and quickly realised that didn't work so well, as trying to also derender everything inside it was nearly impossible.

The other thing I always derender is fullbright signs, trees and flowers.

De-rendering doesn't break immersion for me. Usually it helps, because the things I am de-rendering are themselves breaking immersion. My current neighbour has a giant privacy screen with pictures of animals on it. Not ugly in itself, they are nice pictures, but it looks out of place so I de-rendered it. The parcel behind the screen is much more natural-looking, with a little cottage and some trees. 

• Like 5

I really only derender when I'm taking a picture and someone's walking through the frame. That saves me the trouble of having to ask them politely to move a little, and it's never permanent. One relog, and they're back. In large crowds, I crank up the imposter number in graph prefs instead. If someone deliberately blocks the view by wearing large prim nonsense, I'm tempted to derender them permanently and totally not feel any guilt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

…..

The other thing I always derender is fullbright signs, trees and flowers.

De-rendering doesn't break immersion for me. Usually it helps, because the things I am de-rendering are themselves breaking immersion. My current neighbour has a giant privacy screen with pictures of animals on it. Not ugly in itself, they are nice pictures, but it looks out of place so I de-rendered it. The parcel behind the screen is much more natural-looking, with a little cottage and some trees. 

See I think that's the gist of it.. for me. I don't necessarily want to immerse myself in SL version of reality, I just like experiencing a whole different place than reality.. SL in all it's glory, the good, the bad, and the ugly, things that make it SL and not the world our other selves live in. There's no right way to do SL, we have the amazing capability tomake it whatever makes us happy :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I really only derender when I'm taking a picture and someone's walking through the frame.

Pretty much this and only this for me. To derender is to wear the Emperor's clothes; all that stuff and avatars are still there, still pretty solid and will block your way. Maybe derendering the reason for those people who look like they're in lag-hell constantly walking into that wall?

Though I will derender the sky at my mainland parcels like a psycho.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

I use the temp derender all the time.  I don't think it hurts my immersion at all.  I use it mostly for things that interfere with my vision, like bling or someone who is standing too close to me and blocks my view.  I also derender advertisements.  I derender annoying people sometimes rather than muting them if I still want to hear them but don't want to see them. Anyone who wears bling gets derendered.  Avatars that have "look at me!" AOs or attachments get derendered.  I don't tell anyone that I'm doing it and I don't make a big fuss about it.   I just like my sl to be the way I like it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

How do you know the thing you derendered isn't sneaking up on you?

I have eyes in the back of my head.

At least, all my kids were convinced of it. They never realized I could look through windows or peek around corners or listen from an unseen spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't derender avatars. I set them to not render (turns them into a jellydoll) or block (grey jellydoll)
That way I don't step on them by accident and can step on them on purpose. 😎

And for the feelings of things being there or not - nothing is there, everything is virtual and if I feel the need to filter stuff I do that.
Of course there are possible incidents - If your avatar can't pass an open space you maybe need a better memory about what you have derendered? 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.