Second Life in the News

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A story about “security flaws” in SL showed up on my Google News feed today. Apparently an ex-employee decided to give interviews about it..9

Oh good grief.  I found the article easily and I can see the ex-employee is claiming 3 oppression points.  I wouldn't give her the time of day, let alone employ her.

• Like 4

ALLEGED security flaws. 

I've read this woman's lawsuit from the first word to the last word, and it seems to be quiet frivolous from my IANAL perspective. Nothing she has alleged seems to hold any merit according to information included in her lawsuit. 

As a woman and a non-Christian, it's embarrassing to see yet another woman filing yet another discrimination lawsuit because she was a difficult employee that couldn't get along with coworkers and overstepped her position and blames it on her gender, race, or religion with absolutely nothing to back that up. 

Women of her ilk make it much harder for people who actually are being discriminated against to be believed. It's shameful. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Anyway, in addition to her “oppression points”, it almost appears some of the “issues” in SL which are listed were intended to be, um, tawdry or inflammatory. We’ve been discussing those “issues” for years; maybe she was just extra “concerned” about those “issues”...?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

ALLEGED security flaws. 

I was chatting with someone in world who does scripting and he said he thought he found a flaw a few years back. He lodged a ticket at the helpdesk and a Linden did contact him about the concern. Found out it was a 3rd party viewer that had the flaw  and he lodged the into to the viewer's publisher.

• Like 2

Oh my it's Kavya (I know her on Linkedin and have read some of her articles about working on LL while she was still working with LL, which was positive at the time), it makes me a bit sad to see her doing this :( especially with the overt political overtones, I just wish this whole thing would be resolved smoothly without any negative impact to us residents, as most of these kinda things, contrary to the proclaimed intent, usually never end up improving anything 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

these kinda things, contrary to the proclaimed intent, usually never end up improving anything 

On the other hand..if she really was mistreated or disrespected because of her cultural heritage and/or ethnic background..maybe LL will start diversity training. My own company has a strong culture of diversity, with all kinds of training for it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Happens all the time, that’s why there are pushes to fix issues..like in the 70’s before sexual harassment laws, things got better in some places due to laws and increased awareness.

It does happen a lot, and that's why it's so despicable when someone cries wolf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Happens all the time, that’s why there are pushes to fix issues..like in the 70’s before sexual harassment laws, things got better in some places due to laws and increased awareness.

I'm referring specifically to LL, which is what you mentioned.  The staffing has been diverse for at least as long as the 14 years I've been around.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On the other hand..if she really was mistreated or disrespected because of her cultural heritage and/or ethnic background..maybe LL will start diversity training. My own company has a strong culture of diversity, with all kinds of training for it.

Given how diverse LL is and how supportive they have always been to things like Pride celebrations, I have a very hard time believing they would discriminate due to something like ethic background.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given how diverse LL is and how supportive they have always been to things like Pride celebrations, I have a very hard time believing they would discriminate due to something like ethic background.

I'm not buying the implied racism either. One of the draws of SL has always been LL's diversity.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I worked for Boys and Girls club once. You *cannot* find a more diverse anything with regard to race than at that place. So we fired an Afro-American (Calling him by simple description, here) - and guess what he does: Files a lawsuit on *discrimination*. A place where the minority population is literally 85% of the staff *and* clientele.

I roll my eyes HARD every time anyone brings up racial discrimination as the primary accusation in any dispute. It's also the hardest thing to prove in a court of law, yet they do it anyway. Not because they will win (they will not and know they will not) but rather, it's to "hurt" the company with bad publicity and legal costs they will be forced to pay. So I say poo-poo on this person, they're full of [common word for poo] because if it were legitimate, they wouldn't be tooting their horn in this way. One side of the coin painting the other side black. If it actually goes to trial I imagine the accused will easily plonk the accuser hard. But there is the cost in money, time, effort and all the rest they have to contend with. That's the real shame in it all.

It will be settled out of court to save costs and bad publicity suffered by LL and the accuser will "get away with it". Status Quo.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1717 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.