Untapped Amenities

Hunny Bunny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Lindens and Moles went the extra mile to build beautiful public spaces all around Bellisseria and I believe they are being underutilized. Our pools are a just one example of this. Why is these pool area always empty and why are so many homeowners using their own prims to build in their own backyard a pool that doesn't even have swimmable water in it? 

Snapshot_070_edited.thumb.jpg.13924d4e2e2f997751d9120a28a0272a.jpg

One of the reasons I believe they are underutilized is, they're just not very user friendly.

BuildCommandment.thumb.jpg.2c0f6d82773540f86d8570d1a954006b.jpg                         We really should practice what we preach, shouldn't we?

I can not rez anything, not a towel, a chair or a float. While it's nice that they are provided, I believe many people simply prefer to use their own cute stuff.

notonesize.thumb.jpg.45705fc832c849229a5eb2855745b6ca.jpg

They are also not very friendly to the vertically challenged, like my friend here. He can barely get wet while I am about to drown.

toomuchtoolittle.thumb.jpg.f9d1980a501574b268c889c396d7c7a5.jpg

So, I wondered to myself, why didn't they just make a sloped floor, the way they do in real life, to provide a deep and a shallow end and an easy way to enter and exit the pool?

whynotsloped.thumb.jpg.df5b73c2fe1a18474a7fc8e2bc315441.jpg

We are not a one size fits all people and I don't know what has happened on those towels before I arrived (nor do I want to) but I would prefer to bring my own, how about you?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moles

For those of you who missed it because it has been a while, the main reason we do not allow everyone to rez their own things on the main parcels in Linden Homes regions is because that parcel must always support everything in the region outside of the resident parcels. That includes the houses. So imagine a scenario where you decide to rez a different house... and instead of the 200LI model you rez the 250LI model... but it never rezzes. Why? Because other residents have used up all the available LI by rezzing things on the parcel and it doesn't have enough left to support the house you are trying to rez. It's full. You don't get the message that it is full. You just don't get a house. 

The "Good Neighbor" kiosk I made years before we even considered rebuilding Linden Homes was in reference to resident parcels on mainland, not public parcels in Linden Homes where a full parcel could spell disaster. 

It's not that we wouldn't like to allow people to rez their own things. It's not that we didn't try to find a way it would be possible. The simple fact is allowing rezzing on the main parcel would present a very real and dangerous element that could break the way the system that allows you to have a house that does not count against your land to work. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 25

1 minute ago, Abnor Mole said:

For those of you who missed it because it has been a while, the main reason we do not allow everyone to rez their own things on the main parcels in Linden Homes regions is because that parcel must always support everything in the region outside of the resident parcels. That includes the houses. So imagine a scenario where you decide to rez a different house... and instead of the 200LI model you rez the 250LI model... but it never rezzes. Why? Because other residents have used up all the available LI by rezzing things on the parcel and it doesn't have enough left to support the house you are trying to rez. It's full. You don't get the message that it is full. You just don't get a house. 

The "Good Neighbor" kiosk I made years before we even considered rebuilding Linden Homes was in reference to resident parcels on mainland, not public parcels in Linden Homes where a full parcel could spell disaster. 

It's not that we wouldn't like to allow people to rez their own things. It's not that we didn't try to find a way it would be possible. The simple fact is allowing rezzing on the main parcel would present a very real and dangerous element that could break the way the system that allows you to have a house that does not count against your land to work. 

Thank you Abnor for your reply and I understand the reasons. Would it be unreasonable if we had, say a small 4-16 rez zone that would support a handful of prims, enough for a towel or a chair of our choosing that we could sit on and move into position?

2 minutes ago, Evarne said:

I put in a modest pool at my place but it doesn't include the beefcake in your pics.  Really, it's a paddling pool with prims.  All it is lacking is a rippling muscled beefcake.

I like beefcake 😋

Yes and this is exactly what I'm talking about, you settled for a paddling pool made of prims that doesn't have Linden water and counts against the LI of your parcel instead of a community gathering spot that has all those features. Why? Was it for privacy or was it simply to use your own stuff?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

Yes and this is exactly what I'm talking about, you settled for a paddling pool made of prims that doesn't have Linden water and counts against the LI of your parcel instead of a community gathering spot that has all those features. Why? Was it for privacy or was it simply to use your own stuff?

I didn't put in a pool since I'm on a boat, but I did put in a hot tub. If I had a house, I'd most certainly put in my own pool, and as soon as I get my hands on a trailer, it's going to have a pool. 

Why? Because everything needs the sort of animations public parcels don't allow due to the moderate rating. 😉 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

I am sure the team is aware there are ways to separate parcel prim allowances. Different owners, different groups, etc. Could even manage prims via scripts instead of parcel/region settings. Tools are there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moles
7 minutes ago, MichaMoz said:

Thank you Abnor for your reply and I understand the reasons. Would it be unreasonable if we had, say a small 4-16 rez zone that would support a handful of prims, enough for a towel or a chair of our choosing that we could sit on and move into position?

If we could rely on residents not to abuse the practice, it's not. But that is a very very very big if, and we have to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like houses not rezzing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

If we could rely on residents not to abuse the practice, it's not. But that is a very very very big if, and we have to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like houses not rezzing.

Then it seems all your hard work and the land impact against the regions that went into decorating the space, will go largely unused as little more than scenery rather than places for residents to gather, have fun and chat. Looks pretty though.

• Like 1

• Moles

Keep in mind the Moles have always been advocates for increasing residents' freedom and ability to do things like rezzing. From the early days when we fought to add rezzing zones to the mainland roads all the way to today. Many Lindens in the Lab (especially the ones dealing with governance issues and abuse reports) prefer to lock everything down in public spaces. No Build, No Entry, No Scripts = No problem. They have given us more leeway in these things over the years, but we aren't going to risk a situation that would cause them to lose the trust they've placed in us that has taken many years us to achieve in determining cost and risk vs benefit.

The consequences of that would be... stifling.  

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 16

2 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Keep in mind the Moles have always been advocates for increasing residents' freedom and ability to do things like rezzing. From the early days when we fought to add rezzing zones to the mainland roads all the way to today. Many Lindens in the Lab (especially the ones dealing with governance issues and abuse reports) prefer to lock everything down in public spaces. No Build, No Entry, No Scripts = No problem. They have given us more leeway in these things over the years, but we aren't going to risk a situation that would cause them to lose the trust they've placed in us that has taken many years us to achieve in determining cost and risk vs benefit.

Thanks Abnor and I'm not faulting you or the Moles one bit. I do genuinely believe that these are truly beautiful spaces and they go unused because residents can not supply their own props, for photos or lounge furniture/floats in the case of the pools because we love our own stuff too.

• Thanks 1

As someone who has used the new public pools, I'd just be happy with swimming/diving animations. I could dig out my own, or buy a swim AO, but it's easier and faster (to me) to sit on a diving board and use the included animations. They won't line up for ~everyone~ I'm sure, but there are good ones I've not had to adjust at all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hendrix Portal said:

As someone who has used the new public pools, I'd just be happy with swimming/diving animations. I could dig out my own, or buy a swim AO, but it's easier and faster (to me) to sit on a diving board and use the included animations. They won't line up for ~everyone~ I'm sure, but there are good ones I've not had to adjust at all. 

I agree. I don't see a need to rez more stuff, but animations is what makes stuff like pools fun.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I agree. I don't see a need to rez more stuff, but animations is what makes stuff like pools fun.

I find the animations in the stuff provided a little lacking which might be fine for you but I would simply prefer to bring my own. That is one of reasons I started this thread and one of the reasons I don't use the pool.

Just now, MichaMoz said:

I find the animations in the stuff provided a little lacking which might be fine for you but I would simply prefer to bring my own. That is one of reasons I started this thread and one of the reasons I don't use the pool.

As I said, I was agreeing with Hendrix about how it would be nice to have swim/dive animations in the pool. *shrug*

• Like 1

• Moles

We can always look at improving the amenities at the community areas and gathering spots. It's one of the reasons those pools were made to take advantage of Linden water, so wearables and swim AOs could work.  At the moment though... building more homes has to take top priority. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

We can always look at improving the amenities at the community areas and gathering spots. It's one of the reasons those pools were made to take advantage of Linden water, so wearables and swim AOs could work.  At the moment though... building more homes has to take top priority. 

While swim AOs might work when you're two feet tall, in the case of my friend he found it difficult to swim in waist high water.

• Moles
2 minutes ago, Seba Serpente said:

I have a pool near my home, is much higher than sea level, sea level was not risen on the region setttings to make it work neither. Thatone is literally just decor.

You live in one of the first regions that was done. Sinking the pools to take advantage of Linden Water didn't happen until later. Maybe you should try moving. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.