You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hangars Liquides is really one of the most beautiful sci-fi sims ever to have existed in SL. That New World Notes blog calls Djehan a genius. I couldn't agree more. And truly, no one builds like that any more. It's (purposely) dim, and has always given me an incredible Blade Runner feel (which Djehan once said was actually fully intended). It's tightly packed, but an architectual marvel, maybe precisely because of it. There are so many levels, literally and figuratively, it's stunning, really. 

I honestly hope this can stay preserved somehow.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Being Dutch myself, I have no problem with someone using Anne's words at all. In fact, should I ever say something as beautiful like that, which can still inspire hope in ppl, and a trust in mankind under such dire conditions, 70+ years after my death, I already, hereby, give you permission to use it. :)

Ik dank je hartelijk voor deze woorden.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, MoekoTatekana said:

I'm so very sad that HL may have to close.  Sci-fi in many forms has always been something special to me.  I love visiting both Hangars & Insilico.  I'm joint owner of a Sci-fi/Fantasy store and would happily rent space for our Sci-fi stuff to help if that was of any help, but I am unsure if that can be done with the discussion around non-profit and land fees?  I would also happily rent a little home there!  Hopefully we can all pull together and help somehow.  😞

Yes, I will be happy to rent a place there too! 

And I'm sorry for being a bit late to the whole discussion, but didn't I read somewhere that LL can choose to preserve sims of value? If so, I want to petition them to do so. HL should be reserved, for the history... of history (to quote 'Contact'); because the loss to SL would be enormous. I get that not everyone is into sci-fi; but HL is about much more. it's the apex of an era in which real architectual geniuses, like Djehan, created sims ppl can now only dream of.

LL should not be petty, and worry about the loss of a few L$, just Djehan tries to defray some of her bills, by renting out spaces. Instead, they should worry about losing what is a sure and proud monument to what helped made SL great. Because the loss of the latter is irreplaceable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Yes, I will be happy to rent a place there too! 

And I'm sorry for being a bit late to the whole discussion, but didn't I read somewhere that LL can choose to preserve sims of value? If so, I want to petition them to do so. HL should be reserved, for the history... of history (to quote 'Contact'); because the loss to SL would be enormous. I get that not everyone is into sci-fi; but HL is about much more. it's the apex of an era in which real architectual geniuses, like Djehan, created sims ppl can now only dream of.

LL should not be petty, and worry about the loss of a few L$, just Djehan tries to defray some of her bills, by renting out spaces. Instead, they should worry about losing what is a sure and proud monument to what helped made SL great. Because the loss of the latter is irreplaceable.

we love you Kira!

• Like 1

The Anne Frank Memorial

(Notecard to HL group today):

Hello,

"In spite of everything i still believe that people are really good at heart", is a quote by Anne Frank.
It is placed in the city, on the outside walls of the Candy Shop, which is the only protected happy place of hangars liquides.

This is a dark and dystopian city, this is not a place we want our children to be or grow up in. But unfortunately we can not protect all the kids enough and what happened to Anne Frank, after I read her diary, is to me, the prime example of what is the most disgustingly dystopian in our world.

In all the darkness, I made that very colorful  innocent place with giant candies, flowers and pancakes, it is not a place for adults obviously, but more one to go celebrate your 10th birthday with your schoolmates. As an artist everything I do has an meaning behind it. and the meaning behind placing a quote of Anne Frank on the outside walls of the colorful candyshop caught inside a monstruously dark city is to try to remind people, just like she did by saying it, that yes in spite of everything, let's try to believe...A message of hope.

It is a memorial dedicated to her and other innocent kids who died and still die today.
A memorial is a place of contemplation, calm, remembrance.

I am being told that some people publicly say that I used that quote "ironically", you see what is in between the lines here, and I have to make it clear that I am not a fascist, for only fascists could use such a quote ironically.

There are other historically relevant illustrations all over my work in the city, 911, Tien an men, the japanese kamikaze, seppuku, the war in syria, authoritarianism, fascism, antifa, WW2 resistance, slavery, basically all these things evolving around the subject of dystopia, the wars, the corrupt politicians, I am a dystopian artist, dystopia is the subject I work with, it is not happy or anything, and it can get heavily politicized.

I have received death threats due to my work, more than once, even though I never felt endangered, internet being the internet, but I did receive some. Maybe that means I am doing my job right, I just want people to think about our world, and how to make it better to fight dystopia, and we ought to do this to protect what we have that is the most beautifully innocent, our kids.

Have a good day everyone.

Djehan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

LL should not be petty, and worry about the loss of a few L$, just Djehan tries to defray some of her bills, by renting out spaces.

You may be focused on Hangars, but the Lab has a larger -- not at all "petty" -- principle to defend: fairness to those who pay undiscounted fees for their regions. If everyone paid the same amount -- everybody gets the rates currently afforded non-profits -- then offering rentals to defray costs would be fine. But it would be a lot more than a few L$s to do away with the non-profit discount by giving it to everybody.

19 minutes ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

[quoting a notecard] I am being told that some people publicly say that I used that quote "ironically", you see what is in between the lines here, and I have to make it clear that I am not a fascist, for only fascists could use such a quote ironically.

That's idiotic.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's idiotic.

I' d invite you to read Djehan'  statement about it.

Nobody is accusing you of being a fascist, but there is a certain reason why Djehan uses this specific quote. It' s intention is all but ironic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TDD123 said:

Nobody is accusing you of being a fascist, but there is a certain reason why Djehan uses this specific quote. It' s intention is all but ironic.

Well no, I didn't take it that way: I didn't use the quote. But I certainly wasn't accusing Djehan of being a fascist if it had been intended ironically.

Trying to keep this from becoming a long tangent, but there's another interpretation of Anne Frank's quote that is not at all optimistic, and that interpretation is every bit as moving and respectful of her memory as the reading where her belief in humanity is justified. Especially now -- the immediate proto-dystopian now -- while the folly of politicians dooms the entire planet, the darker interpretation may be especially apt.

It's fine if the quote was used unironically. It would have been fine if it had been used ironically -- and it meant more to me that way.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You may be focused on Hangars, but the Lab has a larger -- not at all "petty" -- principle to defend: fairness to those who pay undiscounted fees for their regions. If everyone paid the same amount -- everybody gets the rates currently afforded non-profits -- then offering rentals to defray costs would be fine. But it would be a lot more than a few L$s to do away with the non-profit discount by giving it to everybody.

Petty, in this case, is staying focused on the strict letter of the law (after all, in all these years before, it was never an unfair issue with them either). Or, if they insist on doing the 'must be strict' thing, then petty for not having the vision to take on HL for themselves, as a preservation project.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's fine if the quote was used unironically. It would have been fine if it had been used ironically -- and it meant more to me that way.

From what I just read from Djehan above (even though I knew it already), she was being everything but ironic with it. And I thank her for her almost poetic explanation, really, as to why she figured it was such an appropriate quote for such a dystopian world she created.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You might even argue that by running a commercial venue on a non profit region, the Hangar Liquide creator essentially defrauded Linden Lab of money.

I addition, I can't find the article anymore but a region to even qualify for preservation must be free of commercial activity for several years before application.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I addition, I can't find the article anymore but a region to even qualify for preservation must be free of commercial activity for several years before application.

That, among other things, is where the 'petty' would come in. :) LL can, at their sole discretion, decide to preserve anything they want, whenever they want.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

It' s intention is all but ironic.

Djehan failded big time then.

25 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

I think Qie and I did - irony's keen edge has been a staple tool in sarcasm and black humour for ages. Claiming you cannot use it ironically without being a fascist while using oneself in a provokating ironical way leaves me to say:

@Djehan Kidd Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

I want to ask you, Qie ... HAVE you ever visited this sim ?

Yeah. It's well done.

I've seen a lot of amazing builds come and go. I've often wished there were a virtual world Wayback machine to be able to visit them again. Of course there are compatibility problems in being able to do that with technologies as dynamic as those underlying Second Life, but I've always wished I could visit, for example, the "Starry Night" region Robbie Dingo created for "Watch the Worlds" (even though that piece was about the creation process itself, not the artifact).

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Djehan failded big time then.

I think Qie and I did - irony's keen edge has been a staple tool in sarcasm and black humour for ages. Claiming you cannot use it ironically without being a fascist while using oneself in a provokating ironical way leaves me to say:

@Djehan Kidd Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. ;)

Ubi maior, minor cessat.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence Celestalis said:

Ubi maior, minor cessat.

And I was beginning to wonder what role you were playing - thanks for the clarification ;)

But why does Djehan send you hither then?

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.