Landscape Photographs!

18 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Can't believe I've not posted any pics to this thread yet, considering how much I love landscape photography in SL. here's a few of my favourites:

131019_003s.thumb.jpg.c162262fbae5ed40d28dafd7eacf1c9a.jpg

140707_001.thumb.png.6af33091b914596adbafc4762f1f435d.png

171113_photohunt_mysticforest_020.thumb.png.66973e8b82a783dc9c522e3a7dbdfaa8.png

131017_012s.thumb.jpg.137d9146a5004d5a5851b68e5157c7db.jpg

More please ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  I could stare at these for hours.  Ok I do stare at these for hours.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Can't believe I've not posted any pics to this thread yet, considering how much I love landscape photography in SL. here's a few of my favourites:

131017_012s.thumb.jpg.137d9146a5004d5a5851b68e5157c7db.jpg

Wow, so many great shots. This one is my favourite!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kiramanell said:

Damn! Those truly are exceptional! 👍

Thank you!

All of them except the one with the swans are raw, unedited screenshots. And all I did with the swans was add a vignette and frame. Everything else is just down to composition and custom windlight effects; I rarely use a windlight "as is" but I tweak it to suit the scene, and I rarely do any post-processing on a landscape other than cropping and re-sizing. The northern lights effect in the second batch isn't a lighting effect, it was actually a mesh sim-surround.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Thank you!

All of them except the one with the swans are raw, unedited screenshots. And all I did with the swans was add a vignette and frame. Everything else is just down to composition and custom windlight effects; I rarely use a windlight "as is" but I tweak it to suit the scene, and I rarely do any post-processing on a landscape other than cropping and re-sizing. The northern lights effect in the second batch isn't a lighting effect, it was actually a mesh sim-surround.

I started another thread asking about what kind of treatment photographers give their landscapes versus the treatments they give portraits, so I was very interested in your analysis of these shots.  I agree that it feels so unnecessary to further process a landscape shot and we tend to just let those shots be in all their windlit glory ❤️  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Clarrellae said:

I agree that it feels so unnecessary to further process a landscape shot and we tend to just let those shots be in all their windlit glory ❤️  

I think that this is such an interesting question.

I don't think that there is a "right" or a "wrong" answer to it, but my own views, or at least my own practices, are represented by this shot, which has undergone post-processing (cropping, a slight adjustment of brightness/contrast, and a relatively light application of a single PS filter). If I get some time, perhaps I'll try to explain why on your thread.

Bellefleurs-Back-Blank.thumb.png.61c03d517bfd93395c5cbbaed1c89f94.png

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think that this is such an interesting question.

I don't think that there is a "right" or a "wrong" answer to it, but my own views, or at least my own practices, are represented by this shot, which has undergone post-processing (cropping, a slight adjustment of brightness/contrast, and a relatively light application of a single PS filter). If I get some time, perhaps I'll try to explain why on your thread.

Bellefleurs-Back-Blank.thumb.png.61c03d517bfd93395c5cbbaed1c89f94.png

I absolutely agree that there's no right or wrong way to do it.  And that's a great shot!

I think you have enhanced the scene with a subtle touch rather than change the character of its natural state, with those treatments you describe.  It looks serene and lovely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another pic of Bellefleurs.

It can possibly be argued that this isn't really a "landscape," but rather an architectural picture. And to some extent that's correct, of course. But the idea that landscapes are purely depictions of unspoiled nature is actually a pretty new one, historically speaking (dating mostly from the Romantics and the 19th century): landscapes in the Renaissance and 18th century, for instance, were often designed to show of the wealth, power, and prestige of a particular landowner, and especially how he had "improved" the work of nature through art (see, for instance, Gainsborough). And, of course, there is no "nature" in SL: the trees are as fabricated, virtual, and man-made as the houses.

Besides, I'm the OP, so I get to decide what counts. Right? 😉

Bellefleurs-Roof-Forum-Blank.thumb.png.45a271f7f7ac82ccefb6263c9bc81cb2.png

• Like 11