Landscape Photographs!

58 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

This was taken on my own land, which is a private estate. it's part of a larger group of islands that is ultimately owned and controlled by someone else who prefers the entire area not be overrun with strangers; he likes it quiet and private which I also appreciate so no landmark provided. It's always a work in progress - I am constantly changing it according to mood/season/whatever.  Or, maybe I'll do an open house at some point instead for a few days and give the owner fair warning 😋

Anyone interested in visiting, however, feel free to ping me in world. If I'm around and not too involved in other things, you are welcome to come over for a while to wander around. 

Home

Elora, your place looks lovely!

The light here is lovely, but my favourite bit is the horse at the bottom right. It reminds me of the way in which seemingly random animals and human figures are sometimes shown at a distance in 16th- and 17th-century landscapes. (I've been thinking about doing something like that too, perhaps with human figures.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Elora, your place looks lovely!

The light here is lovely, but my favourite bit is the horse at the bottom right. It reminds me of the way in which seemingly random animals and human figures are sometimes shown at a distance in 16th- and 17th-century landscapes. (I've been thinking about doing something like that too, perhaps with human figures.)

The horse was a very happy accident - which is something to look for when creating any kind of art.

I wrote about this on my Flickr page w/this photo. Was frustrated with working on another entirely different image and panned my camera around just to break my annoyance and do something else. I had the Windlight set on something other than it's usual view and one of my Teegle horses kept prancing out just out of frame. Grabbed a few shots not doing much in the way of composition - just intuitive shooting more like I'd do in RL if I was "in the moment" 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 6:29 AM, Elora Lunasea said:

The horse was a very happy accident - which is something to look for when creating any kind of art.

I wrote about this on my Flickr page w/this photo. Was frustrated with working on another entirely different image and panned my camera around just to break my annoyance and do something else. I had the Windlight set on something other than it's usual view and one of my Teegle horses kept prancing out just out of frame. Grabbed a few shots not doing much in the way of composition - just intuitive shooting more like I'd do in RL if I was "in the moment" 

Serendipity is sometimes the photographer's friend, I've found. Some of my most carefully planned pics have been "meh," and some of the ones I like best have just "happened" by accident. One of the things that draws me to landscapes is that there is more scope for happy accident, I think, than in avatar pics, which tend to be more carefully posed and set up.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, Kitten Kaos said:

Finding the Bellisseria continent to be so wonderful to photograph: 

Untitled

Beautiful lighting, and I love the lens flare! Did you use a single Windlight for this, or is it a blend?

9 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cosima/80/183/27

Not sure if this qualifies as Landscape as the building is fairly prominent?

Capturing the lightening took a few goes. I've visited this sim on several occasions because I love the permanent storm!

Windlight settings homemade.

mad avatar_068.png

Well, I suppose "landscape" can be defined variously, but I'd certainly include buildings, when they are clearly part of the overall spatial arrangement? Early landscapes in the western tradition certainly included buildings (and especially classical ruins), and additionally, landscapes were often commissioned as a way of showing off the patron's wealth, good taste, and ownership of the land through well-placed buildings integrated into the overall picture.

Sorry, unnecessarily pedantic response to a simple question. Simple answer: yes! This is a landscape!

The Windlight is cool: it's almost like a two-tone picture. And I've never been in a sim, I think, that had actual intermittent fork lightning!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Thank you @Scylla Rhiadra ! I'm enjoying this thread as I'm more inclined to take landscape shots and I've  been inspired to visit some of the sims featured in everyone's shots, so double bonus :)

Yay!

One of my motivations for starting this thread was indeed the hope that it would highlight some new places that are different or interesting -- for photography, or just to visit. I love, and use, Inara Pey's blog, as I know does everyone else, for that purpose, but it's great to learn about other places that may be off the beaten track.

I am honestly astonished when I reflect upon how much work, time, and money must go into the creation of some of these gorgeous sims. It's a lovely thing, I think, to acknowledge and record them!

• Like 1

This picture of CandleWood was somewhat inspired by a photo posted in one of the vanity threads by @StevenSmith1: a lovely picture of his alt on the bridge there. I've also done a picture on that bridge, but it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't sure what, exactly, the bridge was crossing.

Well, now we know.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/CandleWood/62/80/33

Bridge-at-Sunset-Blank.png

• Like 9

16 hours ago, StevenSmith1 said:

thank you, it's my own windlight I made I use it for most of my pictures I just happened to change the amount of haze to get the Erie feeling there is also some Photoshop work in that picture, I'm using the firestorm viewer not sure what the EEP viewer is. @Scylla RhiadraRhiadra

Well, the Windlight is lovely. I really need to become better at playing with it.

I didn't realize you could get the moon to look like that in Firestorm. The EEP is the Environmental Enhancement Project, a kind of update to Windlight that is supposed to make all sorts of new Windlight effects possible (as well as monetizing aspects of them), and that was rolled out about two months ago despite the fact that no viewers (including LL's own) currently support it. One of the more obvious effects is that the night sky has been badly borked in some old Windlight settings. There is a beta version of the EEP viewer available that allows one to build (and I assume, see properly) these new features, and I've seen some screen caps that do in fact look awesome, but I know too that there have been complaints, especially from the designer of the Black Dragon Viewer, that the project is a mess, and has seriously messed with lighting and shadows. I haven't noticed major issues, other than the stars looking like cigarette burn holes in the sky in some night settings, but the shadow settings on FS phototools are now producing some subtly different effects than they used to.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I didn't realize you could get the moon to look like that in Firestorm.

While I like Steven's lighthouse pic, the amateur astronomer in me has a bone to pick. There are regions of the moon's surface that are darker than the surrounding sky. That's not possible.

ETA: I'm also wondering if those meteor looking things falling in front of the lighthouse are actually seagull poop, targeted at the tent. Sadly, I think they'll miss.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

While I like Steven's lighthouse pic, the amateur astronomer in me has a bone to pick. There are regions of the moon's surface that are darker than the surrounding sky. That's not possible.

So, C- on astronomy, but A+ on aesthetics.

(You are wonderful, Maddy: it's so important that there is someone here more pedantic than me.)

27 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

Rosa Scotia, a lovely small island:Snapshot_2145_cr.thumb.jpg.7f2e61445904b84a43929539be86f435.jpg

One of my first attempts at landscapes - captured with the windlight and sun position that where at the location when I visited, no postprocessing.

Awesome pic, Taya!

It's a really gorgeous sim! I was checking out some of the interiors as well: it's going to be a great place for photos (assuming the lag is a bit better than when I was there the first time)!

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, StevenSmith1 said:

Thank you ladies for your kind words. The moon was added in Photoshop so I had to add a cloud kinda effect to blend it in better.

Oooh. Well then, if you add the moon in future images, keep it on its own layer and set the layer mode to "Linear Dodge (Add)". This will ensure that the moon can only brighten the sky, as in real life. You can then adjust the moon layer contrast/brightness/transparency to achieve the desired overall luminance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1