Utterly off topic but...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I am the only person in my immediate family who has not watched more than one episode or read more than one of the Game of Throne books.  I did give it a try. 

I started on the GoT books many, many years ago - first book came out in Aug 1996.  Book #3 really started to drag, moving soooooo slow through the plot.  Then there was a 5 year delay before #4 book came out. Reading it was harder than #3 - like sludging through a tar pit.  I never made it - told myself I'd go back to it when book #5 came out.  It took another 5.5 years before #5 came out.  By then I had moved on to many other things and was just no longer interested, so I didn't even buy it.

I had such a bad experience with the books, that I really had no desire to watch the TV series - thus I've never seen a single episode.

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I started on the GoT books many, many years ago - first book came out in Aug 1996.  Book #3 really started to drag, moving soooooo slow through the plot.  Then there was a 5 year delay before #4 book came out. Reading it was harder than #3 - like sludging through a tar pit.  I never made it - told myself I'd go back to it when book #5 came out.  It took another 5.5 years before #5 came out.  By then I had moved on to many other things and was just no longer interested, so I didn't even buy it.

I had such a bad experience with the books, that I really had no desire to watch the TV series - thus I've never seen a single episode.

I could copy and paste that as my own experience.  He obviously did not want me to read his books anymore so I stopped.  I thought I would buy the remainder once the series was complete but I can't seem to get past the apathy to even try now.  The skin flix never held any appeal to me even with the promise of Jason Mamoa early on.  I understand it is very popular and the second biggest boon to the pizza delivery industry but ... I don't know.  I just don't care.  Besides, Stanley Cup playoffs are going on now. 

11 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I am the only person in my immediate family who has not watched more than one episode or read more than one of the Game of Throne books.  I did give it a try. 

I lasted a few episodes. The thing is it's exactly the type of show I would like. But that first season...it's soooooooo boring...I need to push through it to get to the good stuff but whenever I have tried I've been like "yeahhhhhhhh ehhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhh mehhhhhhh"

Game of Thrones? No.

Lord of the Rings? No.

I did watch the Hobbit, all three when it was on the TV, and it was ok, but not good enough for a rewatch.

My basis for films is the rewatch index. Now the latest Star Trek films, for example I can rewatch several times. Few films meet that standard, including Star Wars.

Salt meets the standard, as does Mission Impossible.

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The books are really good. He’s been holding Winds of Winter hostage for about 7 years now. Hopefully he finishes the books before he dies.

There’s another author that wrote a good series that has yet to be finished, the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. First two books are great. Been waiting on the third since 2011.

I read some interview where he said he wrote himself into a corner.

I’m pretty sure GRRM has written himself into a corner a few times at this point, there’s a lot of storylines to tie up. A feast for Crows is probably going to go down as the weakest book, if you can push through that it gets better.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

A Charlie Brown Christmas?

No. I don't live in the USA, somewhat limited exposure and haven't formed any type of connection with such historically important characters.  

I read the first Star Wars book and I have also read the Dragonbone Chair. Also Matthew Riley's works but that's about it. ^_^

Edited by Maryanne Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1830 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.