Does anyone make a Bento head that can ignore or override furnitire Bento face animations

Emanuelle Fermi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lots of new furniture is coming out with ridiculous and immersion breaking Bento facial expressions / animations. On my Catwa head I can't use my own animations or stop Bento furniture from making my face show silly and stupid expressions.

I go to a lot of sims where I don't own the furniture so I cant turn them off at the furniture level. More and more furniture makers are adding silly Bento expressions to their products so this will just get worse and worse. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying expressions if they don't work when you are on furniture and its really important to me to control my own expressions during interactions.

Are there any Bento head makers out there (Genus, LeLutka, Fiore) that allow you to ignore Bento furniture expressions and use your own? Or that just override the furniture when you use built in expressions.

I know LAQ has a "Furniture" button for this in her Bento hud but it is currently not working.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Emanuelle Fermi said:

Thanks Cindy, the first couple sets of Bento furniture I checked (AnimAlive, Ruckus) do not have a setting like that :(

The AVsitter script for bento by black tulip is only new. A week or so old. So expect to see it more as creators update.

Some creators will directly use AVfaces instead of Black Tulip's script extension...

Advantages: less scripts running, no conflict between two simultanioulsy running face animations

Disadvantages: only either bento expressions or morphs, not both. No option to turn them off but editing the AVpos notecard.

Honestly I am torn between user friendlyness and script polution. Maybe wisest way would be to stay with the good old expression morphs and let translator HUDs do the work. After all the translator HUDs by Happy Dispatch and Sweet animations work fine. These HUDs however will conflict with any animation triggered by the additional scripts in the furniture - highest prio or in case of a tie last called will win. (yeah predicting what your customer uses will be a mess - worst case will be a face shook with spasms or deformed by a tongue animation that was canceled before it ends... good luck selling that).

One way to go would be to aquire low priority facial bento expressions as those will be overriden by higher priority expression HUDs, but alas we have to be glad there are animations available at all* (most are just static poses to switch between - my private furniture uses animations I gleaned from Lelutka animation packages).

3 hours ago, Emanuelle Fermi said:

I know LAQ has a "Furniture" button for this in her Bento hud but it is currently not working.

Huh? I thought this button is supposed to do the opposite: when a face morph is trigged (those are the classic head animations) a fitting bento animation will play as well. See above on potential pitfalls, basically it is the same as a translator HUD)

* hey creators, still looking for that "get rich fast in SL" scheme? Here is one: Create fullperm bento face animations that work with most heads (Catwa, Lelutka, Akeruka, 6Doo, LAQ and maybe some others are similar enough in weights that most animations are interchangable).

Edited by Fionalein

8 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Honestly I am torn between user friendlyness and script polution.

got to admit, we have been using the new black tulip script this week in some new releases and the only downside to me was it bumped the LI up into the next figure 

1 minute ago, Emanuelle Fermi said:

Thanks Fionalein, at this point if I can't control my own expressions on popular furniture any more I will probably just move to a mesh non-bento head and be done with it.

Wait until enough complaints about it make them include the button Cindy mentioned ;)

• Like 1

Some creators provide a few versions of their furniture; classic, bento hands and bento head+hands. I don't buy anything that only comes with "full bento" for this exact reasons - they look awful and in most cases don't even work that well. I suppose this is a bigger problem if you visit public places where you can't control what kind of furniture there is. I also do hope all creators will get enough complaints about that and start include option to turn them off or at least add alternative (non full bento) versions to the box.

P.S.

In my opinion it's not worth to use non-bento mesh heads because of that, though. Not only their expressions are limited to what head creator decided to add or sell as animation packs, they also use frame by frame (or whatever proper technical term would be) animations, which look almost robotic compared to bento ones. They were okay pre-bento, I had one myself, but these days.. not so much.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

P.S.

In my opinion it's not worth to use non-bento mesh heads because of that, though. Not only their expressions are limited to what head creator decided to add or sell as animation packs, they also use frame by frame (or whatever proper technical term would be) animations, which look almost robotic compared to bento ones. They were okay pre-bento, I had one myself, but these days.. not so much. 

I found one non bento one that is pretty amazing but I will wait a bit and see if the furniture creators get their acts together.

I don't like the forced Bento face animations either, the club I am going to, is using more and more of these, they force the face into a silly Joker grin. The facial HUDs made for each head is better, much better. I hate that it is no way to avoid this, other than not using club dances. And the clubs have so many more dances than me, it's annoying to not use them.

• Like 5

Always try stuff before you buy it. If your facial animations are distorted and there's no option to turn them off, that might be an item you don't want to buy. If the creator updates it down the line to add a means of turning them off, it might be something you want to consider. Same with any dances or animations in otherwise, too. If you don't like what you see, simply don't buy it - maybe give it as feedback to the creator. I often send notecards to stores when there's a flaw or issue with something, but I do so before I purchase it. Some creators are very happy for such feedback, some have even sent me a giftcard as thanks for pointing out an issue so that they could fix it. Others are less nice about it, and then I just don't buy the product - and may leave review on the marketplace if it was a demo I'd gotten from there. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Always try stuff before you buy it. If your facial animations are distorted and there's no option to turn them off, that might be an item you don't want to buy. If the creator updates it down the line to add a means of turning them off, it might be something you want to consider. Same with any dances or animations in otherwise, too. If you don't like what you see, simply don't buy it - maybe give it as feedback to the creator. I often send notecards to stores when there's a flaw or issue with something, but I do so before I purchase it. Some creators are very happy for such feedback, some have even sent me a giftcard as thanks for pointing out an issue so that they could fix it. Others are less nice about it, and then I just don't buy the product - and may leave review on the marketplace if it was a demo I'd gotten from there. 

True, while not applyable to her case directly she can tell the sim owners who updated the items pretty much the same... "sorry I cannot use your place anymore as it is incompatible with my head since the update"

Stay polite and  they might leave some unupdated ones aound or find a way to disable it on request.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

True, while not applyable to her case directly she can tell the sim owners who updated the items prettys much the same... 

Ah, skimmed over that detail.

Well, it still sort of applies though - if a sim owner decides to 'upgrade' their furnishings to something that turns off visitors, that's something that might be a concern for them. I'd speak to the sim owners. For dances though I generally prefer using my own anyway, it's easy enough to make a FS AO with dances in place of stands to avoid lag and script limitations - or just manually playing the animations. Then again, I prefer listening to Spotify whilst I'm there as there isn't a whole lot of Deathstars or Gothminister going on at most venues. Actually it's pretty rare for me to at all go to clubs. But when I do, I bring my own music and my own dances - or just stand in a corner whilst watching 8 out of 10 cats do Countdown on YouTube with the viewer muted. 

<-- Not a particularly 'social creature'. 

Just want to add that although most of us (a lot of us) (some of us)  prefer not to have the facial animations on in furniture,  it has been in recent weeks our most requested feature...  give us bento head animations in furniture.  Hence us going to the expense (and time) setting it up for our new releases BUT only with the on/off button for those who want to use their own huds.  Personally I think it's only important for open mouths when you don't want a lollipop stuck up your nose obviously 👼

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Just want to add that although most of us (a lot of us) (some of us)  prefer not to have the facial animations on in furniture,  it has been in recent weeks our most requested feature...  give us bento head animations in furniture.

I think its one of those things where the idea sounds like a much better than the reality. If the expressions were subtle it might be interesting but I don't know anyone that wants their face to continuously loop in the "suffocating fish" expressions most furniture uses during a romantic scene. Especially when we could echo our own sensations with animations we bought. Thanks for letting us turn them off though! Its appreciated.

• Like 2

The basic heads before Bento are cheaper...

One of my alts still have a Pre-Bento head and use it. It is more fun taking her out dancing, bacause I can use all the dance options in the club, and when I compare her face to the strained grins on the others I think the old head still looks better.... even if her animations are old Tech, she is using only 2 of them, and the most subtle smiles.

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Olivia Rizzo said:

These furniture-triggered expression are always completely awful, no exceptions. I don’t understand why head makers don’t have a setting to prevent any external triggers of the facial expression.

Because it's impossible to prevent animations from being played on the avatar by other objects.

The only way to "beat" other animations is to play one at a higher priority yourself, but nothing stops other people's stuff from using the same or higher priority.

Furniture makers (or rather, the animators) shouldn't be combining full-body animations with facial expressions because of all the different bone setups between heads.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Because it's impossible to prevent animations from being played on the avatar by other objects.

The only way to "beat" other animations is to play one at a higher priority yourself, but nothing stops other people's stuff from using the same or higher priority.

Furniture makers (or rather, the animators) shouldn't be combining full-body animations with facial expressions because of all the different bone setups between heads.

It is very rare now to find furniture that does not offer the option to turn off faces in the menu. I would not buy adult furniture that did not have this feature. I'm not a huge fan of facial expressions in furniture but do add them to the furniture I sell because it is a standard feature offered by almost every store. I have thought about doing a version without facial animations, as I have seen one store do, but then it just gets unwieldy because I tend to provide RLV and non RLV versions of my furniture, and how many versions can I realistically offer, so I think people can just turn them off in the menu. 

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

It is very rare now to find furniture that does not offer the option to turn off faces in the menu. I would not buy adult furniture that did not have this feature. I'm not a huge fan of facial expressions in furniture but do add them to the furniture I sell because it is a standard feature offered by almost every store. I have thought about doing a version without facial animations, as I have seen one store do, but then it just gets unwieldy because I tend to provide RLV and non RLV versions of my furniture, and how many versions can I realistically offer, so I think people can just turn them off in the menu. 

I was at a place yesterday where it couldn’t be turned off on some items. Or access was denied to turn it off on others (owner only)

Also commonly furniture won’t remember that it’s turned off so it has to be turned off every time you sit again.

Mesh heads generally have a HUD button to open your mouth which was the use case mentioned above.

But yes, I can appreciate that managing different versions would be difficult and time consuming.

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

What you're referring to is furniture that has two separate animations (the pose, and the expression) which are played together and can be turned off (if scripted correctly).

What I'm referring to is animators including facial expression as part of the rest of the animation. When they do this, it literally cannot be turned off and can only work for certain heads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What you're referring to is furniture that has two separate animations (the pose, and the expression) which are played together and can be turned off (if scripted correctly).

What I'm referring to is animators including facial expression as part of the rest of the animation. When they do this, it literally cannot be turned off and can only work for certain heads.

Oh wow I have not seen that. I would be very annoyed if I purchased furniture and that was a "feature".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.