Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That's all the reason I need to request an "I didn't seem to even notice" emoji.

Just what we need: an emoji with a built-in paradox.  "I'm letting you know that I didn't notice what you just said."  I can do that in RL with body language that conveys studied indifference -- holding a newspaper just the right way in a bus, maybe -- but that's a heck of a challenge in an emoji.  I dare you to create one.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Use your words, people. If you don't like or agree with something, explain why, in a rational and humane way. Otherwise, you're adding nothing to the conversation.

There really have been times when I truly thought that nothing needed to be added to a conversation - and sometimes nothing should be added, it should be allowed to just fade away.

If I glare at you in real life, raising my eyebrows or shaking (tsking) my head, after you've said something, words are not always needed to convey my opinion of the comment.  The same can be true in the forums.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What I'm arguing is that the "pose of superiority" is part of the message, whatever else may be being communicated.

I think that sometimes that is true and sometimes not.  I also think that everyone, as noted by these various responses, views using just an emoji differently.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Or what if I thought that's what you would think, so I really wasn't ironic?  It's turtles all the way down.  🙃

But what if I thought that you thought I knew you were being ironic and then I reported you because you thought that I thought you thought that you were being ironic when you really weren’t but My feels got hurt?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Is it though? What if the person reading it feels the emoji is ironic because you said it was unambiguous?

Well, I did take the "unambiguous" as adding ambiguity, just like when I say "trust me, I know what I'm doing". But Rolig also knows me well enough to know I'd enjoy that. She really is my friend, so any interpretation of her comment is a win for me... all the way down.

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I find that the confused and laugh emojis are often used to denote a negative response. I see it all too often. That's why I think we really need an emoji that is specifically used for a negative response, because as it is now the meaning of those two emojis is very ambiguous.

I think that other than a very small number of people, the use of the laugh is usually more for a funny ha-ha reason rather than the 'are you freakin kidding me, that is ridiculous' type of response. I know that I use it sometimes negatively, but more often than not I am laughing at something I found funny.  Ditto with the confused one - most of the time when I use it or I see it, it does seem to represent true confusion over whatever the heck was posted (more often than not on one of those run on paragraphs without any punctuation and sometimes horrid spelling) and only sometimes does the confusion seem like an 'are you crazy' type of confusion.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I glare at you in real life, raising my eyebrows or shaking (tsking) my head, after you've said something, words are not always needed to convey my opinion of the comment.

I can't picture this without hearing laughter. As here, context is everything.

...peers over her glasses at you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So all the reactions are considered positive then?

My rep shows hundreds of reactions have been set and I had always interpreted a considerable percentage of the reactions in response to my posts as negative. 

Wow, I guess you all do love me after all.

face-with-rolling-eyes.jpg

And that laugh reaction was because you truly did make me laugh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well, I did take the "unambiguous" as adding ambiguity, just like when I say "trust me, I know what I'm doing". But Rolig also knows me well enough to know I'd enjoy that. She really is my friend, so any interpretation of her comment is a win for me... all the way down.

Don’t mind me. I feel like this whole discussion is silly and pointless. I’m just being silly at this point.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

@Madelaine McMasters I saw a perfect greeting card the other day: "We're been through a lot together, friend....  and most of it was your fault."

You'll notice a LOL reaction on your post, which is fairly uncommon from me. A few other people have mentioned that they don't use that reaction unless they actually laugh, which I just did. I have wondered whether to be a little more generous in the use of that emoji, as there is no shortage of humor here, but I remain frugal. It's a lot easier to make me laugh in RL where banging your head on a cupboard door would do it every time.

3 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Don’t mind me. I feel like this whole discussion is silly and pointless. I’m just being silly at this point.

Sometimes it can be fun to take that side to any discussion on any forums. Sometimes it is helpful because it reminds us we are human after all and not machines unless you are me, then most definitely I am just a machine. a biochemical machine but a machine. :P

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Sometimes it can be fun to take that side to any discussion on any forums. Sometimes it is helpful because it reminds us we are human after all and not machines unless you are me, then most definitely I am just a machine. a biochemical machine but a machine. :P

Oh believe me, I do it all the time on here. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

If you really want to get deep into it, we shouldn’t have positive or negative emojis at all. We definitely shouldn’t have negative ones because at best all it’s going to reinforce is that “someone doesn’t like you”. I put that in quotations because it’s all in your interpretation of the emoji. Which...when you think about it is kind of silly, because you’re in your feelings over what amounts to a sticker someone gave you.

The same goes for the positive ones. All they really do is reinforce a particular type of behavior, a certain kind of post...a certain mindset. Then you end up with a forum full of look at me posts. Just to get that little rush of endorphins you get from getting your daily fix of likes, people will go to some interesting lengths.

Other that the "look at me" threads, I never specifically go back to a post to see how anyone reacted.  I want people to like my pictures, but personally never cared much about misc reactions to posts.  If they want to specifically say something about it they'll quote it or tag me, and I may or may not respond.

I do react to other people's posts because I know that a lot of people do monitor their reactions and will thus usually get a little pat on the back / affirmation that someone agrees with them or every now and then a slight smack on the head that might or might not make them think.  If I give a reaction that is basically some sort of smack on the head, I will sometimes follow it up with an explanation of the smack, but sometimes I feel like the smack is enough in and of itself.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I've vexed countless people over the years by taking the unexpected side in a discussion. I might do that just to be silly, but I sometimes do it in serious discussions when I think the other side isn't being well represented and my side needs the challenge. During my professional career, I'd get an uneasy feeling when I'd propose something substantial and get absolutely no pushback. I ultimately retired because the risks I felt I was taking, usually with other people's money, were too large to be trusted to my judgment alone.

• Like 1

In defense of emojis, whoever posted the pic about a thousand words etc. is right: sometimes nothing says it better or more precisely, esp when we take the time to carefully select just the right one, especially from the collection up top. Just the right one is very effective! But would be more so if they were not so tiny.

I vote for emojis.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Other that the "look at me" threads, I never specifically go back to a post to see how anyone reacted.  I want people to like my pictures, but personally never cared much about misc reactions to posts.  If they want to specifically say something about it they'll quote it or tag me, and I may or may not respond.

I do react to other people's posts because I know that a lot of people do monitor their reactions and will thus usually get a little pat on the back / affirmation that someone agrees with them or every now and then a slight smack on the head that might or might not make them think.  If I give a reaction that is basically some sort of smack on the head, i will sometimes follow it up with an explanation of the smack, but sometimes I feel like the smack is enough in and of itself.

Well I mean more in the sense that you get a little notification when someone reacts to a post, you get a little chime. It’s basically telling you “Go back and look at what someone gave youuuu! They like you, they really do!” 

And I’m not judging anyone that likes that kind of thing. I’m just saying we’re conditioned for that kind of thing, that’s why it’s so successful.

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've vexed countless people over the years by taking the unexpected side in a discussion. I might do that just to be silly, but I sometimes do it in serious discussions when I think the other side isn't being well represented and my side needs the challenge. During my professional career, I'd get an uneasy feeling when I'd propose something substantial and get absolutely no pushback. I ultimately retired because the risks I felt I was taking, usually with other people's money, were too large to be trusted to my judgment alone.

Oh, I do that too. I take the side of the devil's advocate just because no one else was. There are always two sides to any situation, even when some don't think or want there to be. it is always good to have feedback on both positive or negative. it keeps us from maybe becoming obsessed with the idea that maybe we are infallible in what we think or feel at times.

No one is perfect in this world 100% of the time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.