Everywhere I go, there's hardly any people. Can you tell me some places on here where people actually meet up?

SecretarySherry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Id also recommend searching "Groups" and check out group chat for some topics you're interested in. Avatars might not always be hanging out together, private messaging and group messaging are much more convenient if you're "body" is busy doing something else. It can also help you be notified when events or gatherings are happening at certain places 👍

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Most places are empty... you have to find the populated ones ;)

Actually,  as someone who  likes to take pictures, and often uses her nude body posed artistically in the shot, an empty sim is not always a bad thing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Sherry,

Most of SL is empty, or nearly empty, most of the time.  It's just simple math.  There are about 20,000 regions in Second Life.  At any given time, there are 35,000 to 45,000 people logged on.  If we were all spread evenly around the grid, that would be about 2 avatars per region.  But we aren't evenly distributed.  People congregate at popular places and events, which means a lot of regions will be completely empty.

This is not entirely a bad thing.  Most regions in SL can only support a maximum of 50 to 100 people, and the lag starts to get annoying well before that limit is reached.

You can get around this low population density in several ways:

• Join groups for places and activities that interest you.  Many clubs use their groups to announce events.
  • Use the Destinations guide.  You can access it from your viewer, or see this link: https://secondlife.com/destinations
  • Check the Events listings here on the website.  https://secondlife.com/my/community/events/?lang=en-US
  • Some viewers have a "What's Hot Now" feature.  This will give you a list of places that currently have a large number of people present.
  • Look on the world Map for clusters of green dots.  Those are people!  Put your cursor on them and hit the Teleport button in the map legend.  Once you get there, if you don't see the people, check your Mini-Map.  Dots are people at your level.  If they display as chevrons, they're above or below you.
  • Visit some "newcomer friendly" places like Caledon Oxbridge University, New Citizens, Inc., Firestorm Help Island, or New Resident Island.  There are usually people there, including some experienced helpers who can answer your questions about Second Life.
  • Visit the Portal Park.  There you will find the entrances to Linden-sponsored game areas.  Some of these are only available to Premium members, but others are open to everyone.
  • Like 4

Let me add, that with time, you should start to establish friendships with others... like in rl (real life) if you nurture them, connect up often and hangout in the same places at the same times, more experienced users can show you around and you will probably really appreciate  having some wonderful sims all to yourself and select friends like Talligurl said.

Another place you are guaranteed to see others is at any of the popular shopping areas. However, most of us are so focused on shopping that the social thing is usually a distraction (for me at least).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.