Linden Clarification Please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Just going to bring back Pamela's OP.  She wasn't asking which topics were allowed.  She was asking for clarification if ALL topics must be SL related or not.  If your question is can we talk about religion/politics/fred's new shed/is the sun shining today?  then start your own thread instead of hijacking this one for whatever your aim is.  This post is going off the rails, will possibly turn nasty and end up being locked which I am sure is not what Pamela wanted at all.  

Thanks!

Good grief, people.  Can we please try to get back to the actual topic instead of discussing why we shouldn't/won't/might discuss religion and politics?

Regarding Pamela's ORIGINAL POST...I have noticed a couple of things lately.

1. There seems to be more of the off-topic, argumentative, troll-inspired thread derailments here lately.
  2. There also seems to be more Moderator activity and locking of threads.

Golly gee, do you suppose the two could possibly be related?

I have posted wildly off topic in MANY threads over the years, usually because something struck me as funny or triggered a wild thought (my brain derails as often as the forum threads do).  I don't think I have EVER been the cause of, or contributed greatly to, getting a thread locked.

As for religion and politics, they are the two topics most likely to descend into heated argument.  Could we just please remember that?  This thread, for example, is heading full speed for a lock, I just betcha.

• Like 7

Off-Topic: It just occurred to me that the thread title could suggest this belongs in a cookery section.

On-Topic:  I do believe moderators are human, and sometimes forget things, and possibly there was an element of forgetting, but is it worth roasting* one over it?  We can read the Guidelines and no-one was really hurt.

*Not cookery again.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Regarding Pamela's ORIGINAL POST...I have noticed a couple of things lately.

1.  There seems to be more of the off-topic, argumentative, troll-inspired thread derailments here lately.
  2. There also seems to be more Moderator activity and locking of threads.

Golly gee, do you suppose the two could possibly be related?

Agreed. Hope I can say without getting in trouble, that perhaps the Linden “mis-spoke” on the recent thread in stating that topics must relate to Second Life, as Pamela provided different information..

• Like 1

Pamela, I would be unhappy with a policy that forbids any posts that are not SL-related.  We'd wind up losing a LOT of very interesting discussion.  Plus, given our crew of zanies here, I don't think it could be enforced without LL exerting a very heavy hand and making everybody very unhappy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Pamela, I would be unhappy with a policy that forbids any posts that are not SL-related.  We'd wind up losing a LOT of very interesting discussion.  Plus, given our crew of zanies here, I don't think it could be enforced without LL exerting a very heavy hand and making everybody very unhappy.

Yes, that’s the way it has always been, AFAIK. But this is not the first time that we have asked for clarification on this point, due to a mod stating otherwise.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Okey dokey I think we are ready for our lock now! <holds out wrists>

I'm tempted to suggest that you or someone else report the thread. It may be that that is the only way to get a response from a mod.

(And no, I haven't reported it.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

There are outside fora where one can discuss far broader topics - many started when Linden Lab decided (at various times) to no longer allow discussion unrelated to Second Life. 

Use them. 

And be sure to grow a real "skin" if you do. 

Two of the three hijackers have already exhausted that option, by doing there exactly what they do here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Two of the three hijackers have already exhausted that option, by doing there exactly what they do here.

Then use the tools given to you to ignore them. 

It's not all that difficult and unlike here, it doesn't get threads locked. 

Nothing has been "exhausted" - at all. 

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

hijackers

There was no hijacking here, Pamela. You are requesting a clear ruling from the LL moderators, and I think that's a commendable action. We differ because you just want the ruling without discussion, while others would like some discussion on the matter.

I trust that the moderators will deliver the rule that is most beneficial to all (including the face of SL that is presented to the public), and I trust they'd want to hear from us so as to take our feelings into account in making the best decision. Perhaps they don't have the resources to police us, and I can understand that. Perhaps they think too much arguing presents a bad face, and I can understand that. And so it could be wise to put a limit on topics that too easily become contentious. However, it does need to be taken into consideration the fact that when things are tooo restrictive this turns people off and they don't post anymore -- I've known people who felt that way.

But once again, I trust that they'd want to hear what we feel about it before making a decision. They do value fairness, at least those Lindens I've known.

• Like 1

General Discussion

Second Life discussions welcome here. Please follow community guidelines.

Seems to me that the general discussion forum is for any second life topic not covered by another forum.

Ergo if its not about second life don't start a thread.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Anyway, my vote is that Politics should be banned! 

But not religion....that is unless a pattern of contentious bickering is established regarding the topic....in which case perhaps it should be banned as well.

Politics and religion should both be banned for the same reason. They are both contentious topics that raise a lot of heat and produce absolutely nothing of value

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:
29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But not religion....that is unless a pattern of contentious bickering is established regarding the topic....in which case perhaps it should be banned as well.

Politics and religion should both be banned for the same reason. They are both contentious topics that raise a lot of heat and produce absolutely nothing of value

Yet I had a nice very long discussion on religion (think it went on for days if not weeks) with 2 people in the Sansar section.

Many SL Linden named sims are Hindu Gods.....and 'Sansar' actually means 'world' in Sanskrit...….so....

But I get your point, many people can't discuss religion without a meltdown and so perhaps it should be banned.

Most people don't have my take on religion, which is:

"The point of discussing religion is to learn about each other, and not to proclaim one has "the right true way". I had a delightful conversation with Love and another woman some months ago, and we just kind of compared notes, tried to understand the differing words we described our experience with (according to our religion and/or system of beliefs) that denoted a common experience.
How people go deeper into life or themselves, change, become better.... it's an amazing phenomenon, and I have respect for any way someone chooses to achieve these goals. I have no need for anyone else to use the words I do".

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

political affiliation is not protected in human rights legislation, but religion is, so religion is the topic that should be banned in this forum.

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

political affiliation is not protected in human rights legislation, but religion is, so religion is the topic that should be banned in this forum.

The notion of human rights is bollocks, you are born with one right. The right to die the rest is just waffle. My view on banning religion and politics is purely about pragmatism. It generates lots of hurt feelings and adds nothing to human knowledge

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

General Discussion

Second Life discussions welcome here. Please follow community guidelines.

Seems to me that the general discussion forum is for any second life topic not covered by another forum.

Ergo if its not about second life don't start a thread.

Except that per the Community Guidelines:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

"Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board."

Notice the last sentence of that.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Except that per the Community Guidelines:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

"Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board."

Notice the last sentence of that.

Typical, in two different places, there are two different interpretations. You are correct of course.

Maybe I'll start a thread about how a conservative  supreme court  will now revisit  its earlier ruling about separation of church and state which leftists have used to completely remove  Christianity from the public sphere.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.