Linden Clarification Please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:
46 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd hate to see Religion banned as a topic of discussion, though I'd understand it if the discussion always tended to devolve into extreme hatred. My only experience with it being mentioned on this forum was the lovely connection I made with Love regarding it in the Sansar section, and then an interesting woman who had a more Chinese slant to her Buddhist beliefs and so we did comparisons between Hinduism, Yoga, and her philosophy. Although I can't really say I would call some of these 'religions' per say...they are more systems of growth toward something deeper (and some call this aspect of life 'God' while some do not). Anyway, would a moderator have to make the distinction between Spirituality and Religion? Would be confusing.

More derailing.

Once again, people on this thread are wanting guidelines for what is admissible as a topic. While you began the thread wanting guidelines on whether 'politics' can be discussed here , many have suggested that 'religion' should also be considered.

So I am considering this too -- not derailing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

That would require a rewrite of the guidelines:

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

Agreed. I suppose my point in emphasizing one part over another is: the directive to “stay on topic” (for the post) doesn’t seem to be enforced very consistently. Perhaps only when reported..does that make it “ok” to derail perfectly good threads? Nobody asked me.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you could learn how to post your viewpoint respectfully you would not be reported so much. Until you learn the difference it would be best (so you don't get banned) not to mention politics at all.

the problem is, leftist viewpoints aren't worthy of debating, that would validate them and suggest they have merit.

I have my own personal religious and political beliefs. Mine don't align with any one belief system, so mine aren't popular. I typical rub someone the wrong way when I get into discussions about either. That's not to say I have a problem discussing my viewpoint, but throwing derailing comments about either politics or religion into a thread just isn't cool. Unless the OP specifically addressed a question regarding either then IMO it's always derailing to bring either up as it's most likely going to end badly. And if an OP is unfortunate enough to make a thread about either I think it's highly unlikely that such thread would not end in a lock.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Once again, people on this thread are wanting guidelines for what is admissible as a topic. While you began the thread wanting guidelines on whether 'politics' can be discussed here , many have suggested that 'religion' should also be considered.

So I am considering this too -- not derailing.

what would even be the point of discussing religion? Is is to share the peace and fulfullment your chosen path has brought you? Or is it to promote your path as the "one true way"

Religion is a topic of interest of mine, however until there is some assurance that all faiths will be fair game its best no one goes there.

Unfortunatly I'm sure critisizing any religion would be seens as violating the forum rules regarding tolerance so in the end I suggest religion even more than politics should not be allowed in here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have my own personal religious and political beliefs. Mine don't align with any one belief system, so mine aren't popular. I typical rub someone the wrong way when I get into discussions about either. That's not to say I have a problem discussing my viewpoint, but throwing derailing comments about either politics or religion into a thread just isn't cool. Unless the OP specifically addressed a question regarding either then IMO it's always derailing to bring either up as it's most likely going to end badly. And if an OP is unfortunate enough to make a thread about either I think it's highly unlikely that such thread would not end in a lock.

Some of our history buffs will either (or both):

- Declare how great things were when politics was ruled by religion

- Detail exactly how utterly awful things were when politics were ruled by religion, thus setting the record straight.

..argument continues anyway..

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sadly, many consider posts even slightly off-topic to be derailing.

We are not talking about the occasional aside or parenthetical detour but BLATANT,  persistent derailing of every thread entered. This thread has nothing to do with religion or politics — two subjects which the vast majority of us say we don’t want to read about here — but you plow on with it anyway. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

what would even be the point of discussing religion? Is is to share the peace and fulfullment your chosen path has brought you? Or is it to promote your path as the "one true way"

Religion is a topic of interest of mine, however until there is some assurance that all faiths will be fair game its best no one goes there.

Unfortunatly I'm sure critisizing any religion would be seens as violating the forum rules regarding tolerance so in the end I suggest religion even more than politics should not be allowed in here.

Why would “discussing religion” necessitate criticizing any religion? Not all discussions require criticism.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of our history buffs will either (or both):

- Declare how great things were when politics was ruled by religion

- Detail exactly how utterly awful things were when politics were ruled by religion, thus setting the record straight.

..argument continues anyway..

Anerica was founded as a Christian nation and went on to become the greatest country in the world.

'nuf said

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

We are not talking about the occasional aside or parenthetical detour but BLATANT,  persistent derailing of every thread entered. This thread has nothing to do with religion or politics — two subjects which the vast majority of us say we don’t want to read about here — but you plow on with it anyway. 

Did you miss the >3 times so far, where I brought it back to your original topic?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

In a recently closed thread in GD Kristen Linden said topics should be related to SL. A discussion we have had more than once, since what the Guidelines say is:

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

(This is saying something different from “stick to the thread topic” , which we have also recently been reminded of.) 

Just going to bring back Pamela's OP.  She wasn't asking which topics were allowed.  She was asking for clarification if ALL topics must be SL related or not.  If your question is can we talk about religion/politics/fred's new shed/is the sun shining today?  then start your own thread instead of hijacking this one for whatever your aim is.  This post is going off the rails, will possibly turn nasty and end up being locked which I am sure is not what Pamela wanted at all.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why would “discussing religion” necessitate criticizing any religion? Not all discussions require criticism.

I'm sure thats true in a touchy feelie feel good group hug kind of discussion but if you are gonna explain how wonderful your faith is that gives me the right to explain why it isn't.

5 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

if you are gonna explain how wonderful your faith is that gives me the right to explain why it isn't.

it gives you only the right to explain why YOURS is so wonderfull for YOU.

It's totally not your right to explain somebody else anything about their own faith, and even less on the SECOND LIFE forums. Find another way to spread your message.

If you see a post with religious content and you don't like it...walk silently away....

Religious opinions are only to be discussed in their own congregation, it's of nobody elses concern what is believed and why. ( as long no laws are broken)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

In a recently closed thread in GD Kristen Linden said topics should be related to SL. A discussion we have had more than once, since what the Guidelines say is:

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

(This is saying something different from “stick to the thread topic” , which we have also recently been reminded of.) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

it gives you only the right to explain why YOURS is so wonderfull for YOU.

It's totally not your right to explain somebody else anything about their own faith, and even less on the SECOND LIFE forums. Find another way to spread your message.

If you see a post with religious content and you don't like it...walk silently away....

Religious opinions are only to be discussed in their own congregation, it's of nobody elses concern what is believed and why. ( as long no laws are broken)

rest assured i have no intention to engage in any religious discussions in here. That is a guaranteed route to a ban

Edited by Phorumities
spelling

1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

rest assured i have no intention to engage in any religious discussions im here. That is a guaranteed route to a ban

in that case don't keep going on about subjects that are irrelevant for this thread and stay on topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.