How do I give a gift premium membership to someone?

DeepBlueJoy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

You contact your friend in RL and send her  the cash, along with a nice card explaining how you are intending your gift to be used.  You cannot register in SL for someone else because the account owner is responsible for all account activity, not you.  The account owner must accept the TOS and be responsible for any violations that may occur.  She is responsible for paying all bills as they come due. You cannot make those commitments on your friend's behalf.  She has to do it herself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2018 at 7:22 AM, DeepBlueJoy said:

I want to give my friend one year's membership in Second Life.  How do I do that?  I am already a premium member and I want to share the love. 

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Technically you don't. Rolig explained why. Also, ToS prevents the obvious ways to gift an account. But, you have created an account so you know how it is done. You have all the information you need to figure out a gifting process.

Actually, You can:

So just open a support ticket and ask for it - I expect that you need to name the avatar *account* name to gift it to, and you will need to specifically say that it is okay to CHARGE YOUR ACCOUNT for the cost.

I recommend you have at least $72 in your account as a credit (not Linden Dollars (L$) - but actual U.S. Dollars, that way there is no chance of payment info SNAFUs or glitches. If you already have the credit in your account it should all go slick as snot.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Lindal Kidd and @Love Zhaoying - thank you.

It's actually kind of strange to me... My RL requires a LOT of research on things (because legal accuracy, etc.) so I have a little practice in finding stuff. Because of this, I have a weird memory: if it's information I found more than a couple days ago, I lose track of timeline; I couldn't tell you if it was a week, a month, or five years ago. But I *do* remember the content of it and generally where I'd found it. I just apply that to here. ~Beams~

Edited by Alyona Su

I too would like to gift a friend premium membership.  I’m not a premium member myself, so I asked a friend to look into this for me.  This is what they told her:

Thank you for contacting Second Life support! In order to gift a premium membership both parties (The gift giver and the recipient) will need to submit support tickets to confirm this is something they both want to do. After that we will be able to move forward with the gifting process.

So I tried to submit a ticket a few minutes ago, but the system is a little confusing, and I’d like to be certain I’m doing this correctly. 

I’m assuming that the Issue Type is either Account or Billing.  If I pick Billing, should I then choose “Real World Payment Issues” in the drop down menu? 

I would appreciate it if someone could guide me.  Thank you 🙂

48 minutes ago, Devriv said:

“Real World Payment Issues” in the drop down menu? 

you can pick that, but be sure to cross reference to eachothers ticket nr.

Be aware of the payment date .. premiums need to be cancelled upfront or you'll be paying again, and if there's no payment source, the account will get locked. The subscription is automatic, not manual renewed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the reply Alwin.  The ticket # is given only after clicking submit, is it not?  If so I can’t reference my friends ticket.  Perhaps just her inworld name would suffice?  I could then give her my ticket number when she submits hers.  Would that be alright?  Thanks again

2 minutes ago, Devriv said:

Thank you for the reply Alwin.  The ticket # is given only after clicking submit, is it not?  If so I can’t reference my friends ticket.  Perhaps just her inworld name would suffice?  I could then give her my ticket number when she submits hers.  Would that be alright?  Thanks again

you can always edit or add info to the ticket, by that it's possible to cross reference, numbers is always easier to find in a system ) but a name of course is also a help..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Devriv said:

I too would like to gift a friend premium membership.  I’m not a premium member myself, so I asked a friend to look into this for me.  This is what they told her:

So I tried to submit a ticket a few minutes ago, but the system is a little confusing, and I’d like to be certain I’m doing this correctly. 

I’m assuming that the Issue Type is either Account or Billing.  If I pick Billing, should I then choose “Real World Payment Issues” in the drop down menu? 

I would appreciate it if someone could guide me.  Thank you 🙂

As I recall, I ended up sending the person the money.  They already had a non premium account and they applied the money to the account and became premium.  You can buy lindens and send them all those lindens, or you can figure out a way to send money directly to them.  (It helped that i already knew them personally and trust them)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.