If Linden Labs had created Second Life 2.0...

PhantomPixel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, PhantomPixel said:

Time for a random fun....what if thread! xD

Okay so, lets suppose that LL had decided to develop SL 2.0 as opposed to Sansar.

What new features would you love to see in SL 2.0 and what features would you carry over from Second Life and how would you improve them?.

a great feature is nobody can take lindens out  so that will put a stop to all those girls workin as hookers in sl and also charging lindens for webcam shows on skype and also a great thing would be to make avatars that have a set hieght an cant be streched out to giant sized bigfoots by girls that dont know what they are doing female avatars 4'4 to 5'5   male avatars 4'8 to 5'9 nothing taller then that

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

...and also charging lindens for webcam shows on skype...

You realize they will just charge RL money for those services then, right? BTW is that even TOS-legal?

6 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

... and also a great thing would be to make avatars that have a set hieght an cant be streched out to giant sized bigfoots by girls that dont know what they are doing female avatars 4'4 to 5'5   male avatars 4'8 to 5'9 nothing taller then that

Afraid of big girls, are we?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Quinn Lysette said:

a great feature is nobody can take lindens out  so that will put a stop to all those girls workin as hookers in sl and also charging lindens for webcam shows on skype and also a great thing would be to make avatars that have a set hieght an cant be streched out to giant sized bigfoots by girls that dont know what they are doing female avatars 4'4 to 5'5   male avatars 4'8 to 5'9 nothing taller then that

Male 5'9" ?! Never !!! I am proud of my RL 6'2" ! Want me to be 5'9" in SL, you want me to be a midget ?! The hell with that !

Good grief, Quinn, that'd destroy SL.  You might get rid of the hookers, but probably not.  Most of them just make enough to go shopping for shoes and hair.  But if you removed the ability to cash out, every creator and every estate owner would close up shop.  SL would die overnight.

• Like 2

Well, let's see...

• VR support, with a viewer designed for it.
  • Weather, with precipitation and collision detection or volume exclusion to keep the rain and snow out of your house.
    • And bring back volumetric clouds, so we can fly through them!
  • Cloth dynamics and collision detection, for real hair and fabric movement.
  • Ability to drive an avatar's facial expression from its operator's facial expression
  • Either larger sims ("mega" sims without all those sim crossings every 256m) for ocean areas, or a better system for handling sim crossings.
  • An ecology.  Plants that grow, insects and birds and animals and fishies.
  • Haptic feedback full body suits.  Bring touch to SL.
  • Blocking an avatar also turns you phantom with respect to them, so they can't ever bump you.
  • Ability to upload much longer sound files

That'll do for a start.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:
  • Account names separate from avatar names.
  • Mass media
  • CPU bans for repeat IP thieves
  • Sim instancing
  • Scratch and Sniff prims

I agree with all of these except, I think "mass media".  I'd wanna know just what you mean by that one.  I come to SL to get AWAY from the mass media.  And I dunno what "sim instancing" would do.  I'm all for the scratch n sniff prims...in fact, let's bring both smell and taste to SL.  Never mind the fact that we don't know how to do that yet!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JJack Montreal said:

Male 5'9" ?! Never !!! I am proud of my RL 6'2" ! Want me to be 5'9" in SL, you want me to be a midget ?! The hell with that !

I always think it a little sad when someone has only things they had no effect on to be proud of.  I am glad of any gifts  and advantages I was born with but I am not proud of them, since I didn’t cause them.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I always think it a little sad when someone has only things they had no effect on to be proud of.  I am glad of any gifts  and advantages I was born with but I am not proud of them, since I didn’t cause them.

Be sad, as i am sad you didn't get the joke. I have much more to be proud of... Neither i feel the need to share with people since its not a proper thread for it. And sorry if you, and any future upset people feel diminished, it wasn't the goal. Can you just tell me how do you reached the conclusion that was the only thing i coulb be proud of ? I think you saying things far above your knowledge since you don't know me at all... But its ok, you not the first pseudo virtuous person i met telling things far above their comprehension. You want to look good and virtuous, be my guest ;)

Edited by JJack Montreal
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

proud
adjective: proud; comparative adjective: prouder; superlative adjective: proudest
  1. 1.
    feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one's own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.

Technically, Pamela is possibly correct, but only technically, and only possibly, imo. For instance, I had no control over when I was born. There came a time when I always knocked 10 years off my true age when asked (socially), and nobody ever questioned it, or even raised an eyebrow. But when I reached a certain age, I found that I was unexpectedly proud of it, and I haven't knocked 10 years off ever since. Technically, 'proud' is the wrong word, but it's not uncommon to use it for things over which we have no control.

In SL 2.0, the word 'proud' will mean whatever the user of it wants it to mean.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Technically, Pamela is possibly correct, but only technically,

No, I am completely correct when I say I think it is sad that people are proud of things they had no hand in. I do think it.  I didn’t say everyone thinks it, as clearly they do not. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JJack Montreal said:

Be sad, as i am sad you didn't get the joke.

I am not sad, I think what I described is sad. And no I did not get “the joke”. I suppose you mean being proud of things like ones height or skin color, is laughable — which They would be if they were not used as the basis of discrimination. 

You are totally correct in that you described what you mean by 'proud'. And that's fine.

I used the word 'possibly' because of a word in the definition - 'qualities'. It could be argued that people had no hand in their qualities, and that it's all in the genes, or they are formed by their upbringing, neither of which they had a hand in. They were merely the recipients. And yet the definition allows us to be proud if them.

JJack could argue that he is right to be proud of his height because he did have an effect on it by doing what he was told and ate his greens when he was growing up :)

What I don't understand why you mentioned it at all.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It could be argued that people had no hand in their qualities, and that it's all in the genes, or they are formed by their upbringing, neither of which they had a hand in. They were merely the recipients. And yet the definition allows us to be proud if them.

Again: I am not making any claim about the definition of the word. People can and do take pride in all kinds of things. And some, who may have nothing else, take pride in physical attributes they were born with — such as height or race —  and may even feel superior because of. And that is to me sad. 

As to why I mention it,  as I have said, pride in these kinds of things is used as the basis of discrimination. One of the best things about SL has always been that these things don’t matter, but only what you do.

Edited by Pamela Galli

7 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ok Pamela, but it seems a bit odd to even bring it up - odd to me, that is. And saying it's all the person has to be proud of, is even odder. I suspect that I've missed something somewhere that doesn't appear in this thread.

I didn’t introduce the topic. And I didn’t call people who are only 5’9” a “midget” , an insult,  like Jack did. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

I didn’t introduce the topic. And I didn’t call people who are only 5’9” a “midget” , an insult,  like Jack did. 

You did introduce this bit, Pamela, when you said, "I always think it a little sad when someone has only things they had no effect on to be proud of". However, I now see what it was that caused it. I don't know why it would cause it, and I don't want to know. I'm 5'9" these days. I used to be a 5'10½" giant, but we shrink a bit as we get older :(

Anyway, I just thought the reaction was a bit odd, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:
  • Account names separate from avatar names.

This one is kinda account security 101, it's frankly shocking that your account name is broadcast to everyone so easily - especially since the signup process tricks  you (tricked? haven't checked recently) into thinking your account name is just that, a private account name.

• Like 7

Judging by what's been posted here recently, it does look like they aren't planning on having a seperate account name and, what's far worse, is that they aren't intending to tell new people that the name they choose will be their inworld avatar name, and that they should choose it carefully.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Judging by what's been posted here recently, it does look like they aren't planning on having a seperate account name and, what's far worse, is that they aren't intending to tell new people that the name they choose will be their inworld avatar name, and that they should choose it carefully.

To be fair: they don' tell you it isn't either - folks should know that behaviour from browsergames by now... It's not as uncommon as the complaints crew wants to make us think it is.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.