Low lag Bento bodies and heads.

Eirynne Sieyes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In line with the myriad of recent discussion on how bloated SL has become, I would like to identify which heads and which bodies are well-made. I want to know!

I know little about mesh and Bento, but I can tell if I load quickly by watching with an alt. Two bodies that I found that load quickly for me are SLINK and EBODY. 

Haven't found a head yet. Ugh! Why are they so squished and ugly?

What have you found?

3 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

The heads just look so horrible early on.

Yes, yes they do. That's why there's a shape included. It's (supposed to be) the base shape the head was made on, which you tweak to customize to your tastes. I've found it easiest to copy all of my body numbers into a notecard, modify the shape included with the head to use those numbers, then mess with head and face sliders. It's possible to start with any random modifiable shape and get something usable, but it's much, much harder than it needs to be, and you need a lot of patience and the ability to see past the alien squishiness to the potential of the head.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I have no problem modding things. Just commented on how ugly they look when you first put them on. This thread is about lag.

So, what low lag heads and bodies have people discovered? 

it was just a valid response on things you bring in the thread yourself. Nothing wrong with that, and you can't prevent how a thread changes... some fast, some take a while, but the more secondary remarks in posts, the more and faster it goes.

About your question what lags and what not... there's a second not less important thing : your machine, and third: your connection

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

This thread is about lag.

The thing with 'ownership' of a thread that you have created is that its direction can depend on something rather vital: how you respond to other people who are posting in it. How you word the initial post is also critical in setting its direction fairly early on. Your initial post included the following words:

6 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

"Why does my face look squished and ugly?" is a common thing that is asked specifically about Bento heads in mesh head support groups. The person asking that question is always given the same initial response: wear the 'starter shape'  that came with the head, and then start customising that shape. Even purchased Bento shapes that are created for specific heads can cause issues, and - except in the case of a very few Bento mesh head brands - you should always begin with the starter shape, or at least be prepared for any other shape to look "squished and ugly". The 'starter shape' for that specific mesh head sets the 'ideal sliders' for the head, giving you a solid (and correct for that head) base to work from.

That is why Fiona's and Ariel's response to you was to suggest using the starter shape: you voiced a very common complaint (especially by using the word "squished") and they tried to help you by giving you the advice that anyone who works extensively with Bento mesh heads would give you. As your responses to them, you dismissed their help without giving any sign that you understood what they were suggesting. You simply said "I customise my own shapes". OK, so is your shape customised from the starter shape, or is it from a previous shape that you worked with? Because the latter will very likely give you 'squished and ugly' results to begin with.

However, if you are using the starter shapes and customising those, then with the following two remarks -

1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Just commented on how ugly they look when you first put them on.

6 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

The heads just look so horrible early on.

- you have just insulted everyone who wears a Bento mesh head and happens to like (and stick with) the starter shape that it comes with.

If Penny happens to lay eyes on this thread you might get an interesting discussion and plenty of information to learn from about 'onion skin' mesh bodies and lag, since that's one of her pet topics in Second Life. But when you have just called (three times, no less) thousands of people "squished and ugly" then don't be surprised if respondents to this thread focus on those words rather than on your initial question about lag.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Bento added a bunch of new bones to the head to allow enhanced expressions. The head makers, when rigging the new heads chose different weighting to the Linden Lab default mesh. Why they did this isn't known to me, I've always considered it something around trying to make the animations look as good as possible.

Wear the shape supplied with the bento head and start adjusting from there. I find it handy to send my normal shape to an alt and use that on screen number 2 to access my normal body numbers easier.

2 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

This thread is about lag.

It is? You ramble about loading speed and shapes and then wonder why folks pick up answering on those instead of lag? Lag has many aspects, as skell said folks will surely eventually hop in and tell you about their pet peeves, ... don't suspect any helpful answers from those discussions though.

Honestly, when I'm out and about I don't notice a huge difference between mesh bodies in loading time. They all come in pretty quickly for me. Early on Belleza took forever to load but that was with the very first version of the body. Since then the mesh has been optimized and loads about the same as any of the rest. And since lag is dependent greatly on your own system and connection, while this is my experience, it certainly will be different for everyone because our circumstances vary greatly.

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Bento added a bunch of new bones to the head to allow enhanced expressions. The head makers, when rigging the new heads chose different weighting to the Linden Lab default mesh. Why they did this isn't known to me, I've always considered it something around trying to make the animations look as good as possible.

Wear the shape supplied with the bento head and start adjusting from there. I find it handy to send my normal shape to an alt and use that on screen number 2 to access my normal body numbers easier.

The default mesh head doesn't use bones to change its shape, it uses morphs - pre-fabricated changes in the specific locations of the vertexes of the mesh. These morphs are hard-coded into the viewer. The Second Life graphics system doesn't allow any mesh other than the default body to use morphs, probably because of the amount of data that would be needed to be transmitted and processed if they were used for meshes you encountered walking around. 

The process of a mesh head's changing shape using bones is fundamentally different and there's no way to make a head rigged to bones behave exactly the way the default head reacts to the same sliders.

16 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The default mesh head doesn't use bones to change its shape, it uses morphs - pre-fabricated changes in the specific locations of the vertexes of the mesh. These morphs are hard-coded into the viewer. The Second Life graphics system doesn't allow any mesh other than the default body to use morphs, probably because of the amount of data that would be needed to be transmitted and processed if they were used for meshes you encountered walking around. 

The process of a mesh head's changing shape using bones is fundamentally different and there's no way to make a head rigged to bones behave exactly the way the default head reacts to the same sliders.

That was interesting. I didn't know that!    

But there ARE some mesh head makers who have evidently thought things through a bit and you actually can put on their head without their included shapes and still look  -- well let's say human LOL . So extra gold stars for them.  Not many. Granted.

And since there are two threads on this now I am going to paste in my "look at those nasty heavy bodies at LOD1" photo that I just took. Pretty much negates the whole point.  Could it be the COMPUTER and not the settings or the bodies?  :D

MAITREYA

image.thumb.png.5c4e7ed453f8db0ad892ff97e336d5bd.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

I'll do the same and just drag mine over here as well..

"Why were we doing this again? Because I'm not sure what is supposed to happen when I go to low settings..Things seem to just run better is all.

This is with Genus Project beta head and Maitreya body and BonBon mesh hair mesh shirt and mesh shorts and mesh shoes with mesh socks in mah mesh home with my mesh furniture.."

29389795457_c2d362844c_h.jpg

Edited by Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.