Feature Wish | Name rant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right or not on how people lost their last names..Wasn't it something like ,if you made a display name that you lost your last name after that?

Something like that wasn't it?

I never made a display name so I'm not sure really..

Anyone who has had a last name that wasn't "Resident" has kept their last name, regardless of chosen display name(s). LL just removed the option for new accounts to choose a last name, assigning the default "Resident" to everyone henceforth.

1 minute ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Anyone who has had a last name that wasn't "Resident" has kept their last name, regardless of chosen display name(s). LL just removed the option for new accounts to choose a last name, assigning the default "Resident" to everyone henceforth.

Yea that I remember..But also remember something going on that messed with current names if you made a display name..Like it put a dot  between your two names or something in world..

I remember people getting upset about something like that that.. I'm not sure if I'm putting my finger right on it.. I just remember people being upset about something like that is all..hehehe

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Yea that I remember..But also remember something going on that messed with current names if you made a display name..Like it put a dot  between your two names or something in world..

I remember people getting upset about something like that that.. I'm not sure if I'm putting my finger right on it.. I just remember people being upset about something like that is all..hehehe

I admit I didn't use the display name feature for some time after it was introduced. I must have missed that particular brouhaha. I'm quite sure I'd have been upset too. xD

1 minute ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I admit I didn't use the display name feature for some time after it was introduced. I must have missed that particular brouhaha. I'm quite sure I'd have been upset too. xD

I think we had just switched forums again when they did that switch to display names, and  in that version of the forums your name had a dot in between the names..Some people didn't like that very much..hehehehe

I think that's around the time they started the online profiles where everyone had a dot between their name anyways..

I almost remember saying something smartassy about it back then also..something like,I'm never gonna make a display name anyways so I'm not worried about it.. kind of like,they'll never get me or my dog toto!! \o/ hehehehe

20 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The dot may have come about when web profiles came about because spaces don't work well in URLs.  There may also be viewers that only have a single login name field and want a dot instead of a space - I'm drawing a fuzzy there, but something like that sounds vaguely familiar.

I did create a display name for one of my alts once, but that was just for testing something related to display names.  I've always been happy enough with my name and group tag.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

@Patch Linden - Now here's an idea for coming up with those last name lists:

29 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Surely it couldn't have been that difficult to ask everyone working at the Lab to each come up with 5 surnames? Why put all of that onto the shoulders of just one or two people when everyone working at LL could have had the chance to put a small selection of names into the available pot? It could even become something of a workplace competition: checking the signup numbers each week or month and having small prizes (silly or not-so-silly) for whoever has the most signups on one of 'their' names that week/month.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The dot may have come about when web profiles came about because spaces don't work well in URLs.  There may also be viewers that only have a single login name field and want a dot instead of a space - I'm drawing a fuzzy there, but something like that sounds vaguely familiar.

Oh you know what? That might have been what happened with M's 2.0 viewer or whatever that terrible viewer was..

That might be what I'm thinking of ..That viewer was terrible..So was M..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

55 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right or not on how people lost their last names..Wasn't it something like ,if you made a display name that you lost your last name after that?

Something like that wasn't it?

I never made a display name so I'm not sure really.. ETA: Or was it that they wouldn't be a gap between them anymore?

I think creating a display name (which I've never done) changed the way your username was displayed, from Firstname Lastname to Firstname.Lastname.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Phil Deakins said:

to which you replied...

... and continued with a lot of stuff about Russian words. But I didn't see where Love referred to, or implied, Russia. Where is it?

It's actually 'citizen'. You were mistaken.

In films, people are referred to as 'citizen' in France, following the French Revolution. I've no idea if the word (french version) was used like that at the time though. So I assume that Love was thinbking France and not Russia.

I've never seen it scholarly verified but I believe you're correct. The Russian revolutionaries almost certainly borrowed the concept from the earlier French Revolution, which stressed 'citizen' (citoyen/citoyenne) as a form of address and rank for everyone. Egalitarian, you see. Did away with all that crud with titles. It's used in 'La Marseillaise': Paul Henreid is saying "Aux armes, citoyens!" (To arms, citizens!) with a fist-pump in one of my favorite scenes from one of the greatest movies ever made.

Vive la France!

Edited by Dillon Levenque

59 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I remember how the set of names from which to choose would change depending on the chosen first name. I think, looking back through the fog of time, I discovered that if I wanted a different set, given the same first name, I had to wait a few hours and try again. I always wondered how , from the periodic name batches, those subsets were generated.

I also recall third-party name places that exposed those multiple lists directly, so you didn't have to wait for them to cycle through the standard signup page.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We have three common versions of our SL names:

Modern accounts are created by choosing a user name, which consists of one name (no spaces).  A Display Name is a special case of this name, updatable by the user of the account

Legacy accounts were created by choosing two names: first and last names. These two names are used together to form the username.  To maintain compatibility with legacy scripts (that expect two names), modern accounts are given the legacy last name "Resident".

The Username -- that is, the name that you log in with -- for a specific Legacy Name is the Legacy Name in lowercase with the space replaced with a period. If the last name of the Legacy Name is "Resident", then the username is just the Legacy Name first name in lowercase (without the last name or the period).

The username is also compatible with many systems outside of SL (like some social platforms and marketing sites), and with systems that use an SL name in a URL.  To make matters slightly more confusing, some sites that use the username internally allow you to enter it without a dot (or, in the case of modern accounts, without the .Resident last name) as a default.

There are a couple of other hybrid name variants in use as well, including the Complete Name, which is created from the user's Display Name, followed by the username in parentheses.

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When you run into someone sharing your surname, do you chat them up?

I usually greet them and call the cousin.

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Interestingly, I already had my first name in mind when I decided to join, and then tried to find a name from the list that matched.  Since "Rolig" means "funny" in Swedish, "Loon" just seemed like the right match.

I did much the same.  Although this is not the first account I created it is was intended to be my permanent main "me" when I made it.  Huntress just sounded nice so I grabbed it.  If I had thought about it a little more I might have used Artemis Huntress or Diana Huntress.  Fortunately I am a bit impetuous so Rhonda it is; and I like the name.

For Clover we wanted name that someone might give a cat.  Jinx just sounded right.  I think we got lucky having a good last name for both of us available on the same day.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, BelindaN said:

Or just use your name???:)

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats 

“The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.” 
t.s. eliot
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats 

“The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.” 
t.s. eliot

Nice poem......

I do like Electra...... It would have to be Elektra obviously..........;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.