Why go mesh?

amywilders

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

What's more rewarding .. a lower ARC or LI score, or a product that sells.

There you go being rational... 

9 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

If we boil it down purely to sales volume, the quality of a product is of no importance.

I think that misses the point. If left solely up to the merchant then that is an accurate statement. But, it never is. The customer has a huge say in what the designer does by voting with their L$.

Back on topic...

My classic and prim appearance used to be in the hundreds of thousands. The classic avatar itself was efficient and low ACI (ARC...). But, the prim and sculpty clothes, hair, shoes... etc. were horrendously render expensive. The classic avatar has seriously annoying appearance problems. So, for years people were asking for an avatar with better mesh layout and uvmap. There was no legacy compatible way to do that. Mesh bodies are the evolving workaround.

Mesh bodies, clothes, and accessories are the render cost effective solution. The classic avatar is sort of the base measure for ACI, 1,000. The Lindens defined their ACI calcs from that starting point. My classic head and mesh body, hands, and feet have an ACI of 17k. My recent all mesh avatar has an ACI of 25k.

Those numbers seem to indicate a significant increase in render cost. Until one considers a complete outfit. I had to do some looking to find a 'classic avatar' look in my closet (Outfits). I put it together in 2012. Classic body and sculpty shoes/feet have an ACI of 199.6k. My most recent outfit with full mesh body (body, head, hands, and feet) has an ACI of 53.4k. While I may have added 24k to my base avatar cost over the base classic avatar I have reduced my overall cost by something like 150+/- ACI.

It is possible to save that 24k and use a classic avatar body. But, the classic body simple does not provide the appearance people want. Since people are paying for 'looks' merchants are going to sell looks. ACI conscious buyers push change. 

The Lindens are aware and are adding Bakes-On-Mesh to reduce that classic vs mesh body cost and bring them closer together. Along with that change they are working on redoing the LI and ACI calcs to influence designers to do better building of things. The actual pressure comes from the residents as they vote with their L$. I simply will not buy hair, for instance, with an ACI over about 10k when I can buy similar hair with an ACI of 1 to 6k. I have a prim hair that is gorgeous but it has 160k ACI...

Since viewers are adding more tools to let us see the LI and ACI problems in the stuff we build I expect designers to do better and LI and ACI to continue dropping. Mesh is best and getting better.

Aside...

5 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I'm not gonna derail this topic any further so to the ignore list it is with you.

Oh man... you are going to so miss out on [add your preferred noun here]. xD  But, thanks for not biting. 

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

You need your eyes tested... Avatar 2.0 is a semi anime "late teens" body. It's like claiming the Silver Surfer is similar to the Hulk...

Yeah, and I think it's not as popular as it used to be. But it is mod, so certain communities will glom on it. They do have thier own limits though, like Omega incompatability and smaller aftermarkets (clothing for Kuroo, for example, has maybe 2-3 clothing makers, and one of them is the creator).

I am a bit more optimistic about BoM. Sure as beans not using it for clothes, but there are a few nice skins and tatts that I want to use again.

11 minutes ago, Magnek Fang said:

What? There's a Ruth 2.0? Isn't Ruth something we usually try to cover up? I've took a break around '15 and came back late '17. I am adjusting though.

Yes and it is an open source low polygon bento full body update/replacement based on the classic SL body (inclucing the old UV map) - pretty much what Kyrah claimed Avatar 2.0 to be... hence my guess she could confuse them. Because I see no way Avatar 2.0 qualifies as replacement for the regular avi unless you aim for a teen look.

Edited by Fionalein

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Yes and it is an open source low polygon bento full body update/replacement based on the classic SL body (inclucing the old UV map) - pretty much what Kyrah claimed Avatar 2.0 to be... hence my guess she could confuse them. Because I see no way Avatar 2.0 qualifies as replacement for the regular avi unless you aim for a teen look.

Thanks but there is no confusion, the avatar 2.0 head is completely optional and I generally don't use it.

Why go mesh?
Well it was not the intended reason but it appears to be saving me money.
I have always browsed the Marketplace and seeing something cute getting it.
Now that can't be done, does it fit my avatar body, most of the time, no.
In the past I would browse and buy, now I brows and give up.
And yes I know, search for your body to find clothing, what a chore, I give up looking quickly, and just don't buy anything, and save money.

And all to often when something comes up searching for my body, when I look at the product, there is nothing for my body, its in the search line on the page but the creator does not sell it, that gets old really fast.
I set aside a set amount every month for SL, I have never in the past said, wow look how much money I have for SL, kind of cool I guess.

Sadly you have to use a browser addon or pull out the page sourcecode (and even then only the first dozen or so actually shows) to see which keywords a seller has used for a given product, so nowhere nearly enough keyword spammers actually get reported.

Thank you all for your inputs on the topic and it has been very informative.

However, I feel that the thread has derailed and since I don't think I as the creator of the thread have the power to lock it from further postings, I can just encourage everyone to stop posting anything more.

Again, thank you all for your inputs.

/Amy 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, amywilders said:

Thank you all for your inputs on the topic and it has been very informative.

However, I feel that the thread has derailed and since I don't think I as the creator of the thread have the power to lock it from further postings, I can just encourage everyone to stop posting anything more.

Again, thank you all for your inputs.

/Amy 

Speaking for the group... you're welcome. 

Threads often go off the rails. That is life in a forum. Oodles is learning about Klytyna. Don't take it personally. There isn't anything you can actually do until it becomes abusive in some way. Then you can report it.

• Moderators

Hiya everyone!

Man I hate to see a good thread go downhill so quickly. Please remember to stay on topic. If you'd like to discuss something with a specific Resident please use your private messages for that. Do not post your issue or your thoughts regarding that individual in the thread. That's not what the Forums are for. I really don't want to have to lock this thread since it is a good discussion. So let's keep it going with a good conversation and educated opinions. 

-Corky

• Thanks 2

Left: Pre-mesh

right: Post mesh (and this is even a Non-Bento head from Catwa, which I love still even though I own two others that are Bento from Catwa as well)

Why go mesh? Because you will simply look BETTER. See the odd angles on the head on the left, the sharp pointy angles as the features curve? Gone on the right.  Honestly, mesh just makes everything prettier and more realistic.

Did I get compliments for my avi pre-mesh? Sure! all the time, so? I still get compliments on my avi now, post mesh. 

Do I look the same? No, not really, but why would I want to really when my avi looks like that in a mesh head? 

I know that so many people will want to look "the same" because they "identify" with their avi and they spent time and money getting it to look just right.. but the one real thing that will always happen in the universe is change. The same for SL.. as technology advances they will advance and how awesome is that? I mean, the opportunity to improve ourselves is always a good thing! Even if its just our avatar :)

5b18778e03d34_profileprevspostmeshhead.thumb.png.ae93773dcf6cf0d5dd6e3c1e6b464779.png

With my bento heads, I look pretty darn close to my old look, mostly intuitively because I have a certain aesthetic that I am drawn to. 

Best bet is to look around, check out blogs, flickr, for examples of bento heads, and even youtube has videos that SL residents have made on heads, etc and demo, demo demo..Everyone above gave some awesome advice. Good luck !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tako Absent said:

Another reason why go mesh is something like this.

Exhibit A: on the right side of the photo is the human figure with clothing and on the left part is sex doll version with body paint clothing.

Capture.JPG

You make the best analogies! This and the TV one sum up my feelings about the topic.

Even today Miss Croft's clothes are still painted on for the most part.

Don't be too harsh with old Lara, it was different times where hardware acceleration did not exist and where the Playstation had ~2Mb of ram and no FPU, it's not so much the designer's fault as them doing the best they could with what they had.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.