Is it possible to hide hoover text over objects?

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know I can blacklist the objects with hoover text on the parcel next to me. (Firestorm viewer)

BUT then the land looks empty with the default mainland texture. The farm looks nice. I have no issues with the objects. after_008.thumb.jpg.86e3faa2fe3ace56ed1ec9856986e459.jpgI just want to hide the text that float over the crops. Is it an advanced setting where I can turn off such text? See image.

23 answers to this question

The Hover Tips settings in Firestorm are for the viewer-generated tips (which are only visible to you), not the hover text that's in-world. Unchecking the Show Hover Tips box doesn't affect in-world hover text. However, the sliders underneath those checkboxes are useful. Set "Floating text fade distance (in m)" and "Floating text fade range (in m)" to zero and in-world floating text disappears. I've never tried that before -- learned something new.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yup.   Uncheck the ShowHover Tips box, if you're in Firestorm:

42429d0c8bb0131b2019e1f2b00952f9.png

Now I thought that was a GREAT bit of info ----

But it doesn't seem to work?  

image.thumb.png.4e7b72188bcb3b12f6e814a95d12bede.png

From my test, that seems to turn on and off the name and description and owner info.

tips.thumb.jpg.a3e2c46fb8ae8865f2257a7af2257e76.jpg

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yup.   Uncheck the ShowHover Tips box, if you're in Firestorm:

NOPE. That's for client generated "on mouse over" info floaters...

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

But it doesn't seem to work? 

Obviously...

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think you have to unclick the other hover text box too: Show extended information....

Still NOPE...

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I just want to hide the text that float over the crops. Is it an advanced setting where I can turn off such text?

There is actually an RLVa command to do exactly this... All you'd have to do is write a very simple script that does an ownersay with the relevant rlva command on attach, drop the script in a 0.05 x 0.05 prim, enable rlva in firestorm, add it as a hud, and presto changeo all the prim float text in sl will vanish while you wear that prim.

EASY!

11 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

There is actually an RLVa command to do exactly this... All you'd have to do is write a very simple script that does an ownersay with the relevant rlva command on attach, drop the script in a 0.05 x 0.05 prim, enable rlva in firestorm, add it as a hud, and presto changeo all the prim float text in sl will vanish while you wear that prim.

EASY!

Must I wear it on my avatar?

Can I have the prim rezzed in my garden?

If no, does it work when attached to HUD?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about this, then? I can't log in for 5 hours, so I can't test it now.

4 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The Hover Tips settings in Firestorm are for the viewer-generated tips (which are only visible to you), not the hover text that's in-world. Unchecking the Show Hover Tips box doesn't affect in-world hover text. However, the sliders underneath those checkboxes are useful. Set "Floating text fade distance (in m)" and "Floating text fade range (in m)" to zero and in-world floating text disappears. I've never tried that before -- learned something new.

the debug  - FSHudTextFadeDistance  

I added that to the Firestorm Quick Preferences Menu as a slider type control.  The distance slider thing allowing me to be able to see near stuffs (HUD or a vehicle I am using)  but can kill with joy the hovertext in the distance.

That and I kinda don't totally remember, but I don't think i found an actual   Hovertext on and off button.

Just click the wrench icon in the lower right of the FS quick preferences menu to get it into the mode to add a debug.

FSQP-ft.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for your help!

No more annoying text in my greenhouse!

5ac37451525e5_Nomoretext.thumb.jpg.cab3a1406d2b4902d4527514a7b56ed9.jpg

I used the settings in the window under. I noticed that the lower slider stops at 0,25. If I walk up to the hedge behind the greenhouse (the hedge is the parcel border) and press my camera into it, I can see a faint, almost transparent text. This really don't bother me. I don't go that close unless I change the hedge to a fence or some other planting on the border.

5ac375d578dbd_floattext_003.thumb.jpg.a423152a820c6aa6b3a66ff956e5e0b7.jpg

• Like 3

YAY!    Yup.    I wind up sticking more buttons and sliders and clickers and stuff in the Quick preferences thingie.    So I can actually remember what to mash to get stuff outta the way for (not viewer snapshot) pictures or videos.  Then I wind up getting sidetracked and forgetting to take the video, but ....  I could.   xD  

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

And we all learned something. Thanks for asking about this, Marianne. 

And we should have known that FS would have already added something SOMEWHERE to fix the issue. Happily I seldom see that stuff any more :D. 

8 hours ago, Klytyna said:

NOPE. That's for client generated "on mouse over" info floaters...

Obviously...

Still NOPE...

EASY!

Wow.  That's clever!  But I have to say that using RLVa to get rid of hovertext is sort of like using a nuclear warhead to get rid of ants in your kitchen...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wow.  That's clever!  But I have to say that using RLVa to get rid of hovertext is sort of like using a nuclear warhead to get rid of ants in your kitchen...

It's a good thing you didn't use cockroaches in your example. They're supposed to be the sole survivors of nuclear Armageddon.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

23 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's a good thing you didn't use cockroaches in your example. They're supposed to be the sole survivors of nuclear Armageddon.

Technically, of course, Marianne ought be able to get rid of any insects already.  She has a Hoover. ( A smart one, too. It can text. )  I've used mine to suck up box elder beetles that used to get into my sun porch.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Technically, of course, Marianne ought be able to get rid of any insects already.  She has a Hoover. ( A smart one, too. It can text. )  I've used mine to suck up box elder beetles that used to get into my sun porch.

I didn't want to mention the Hoover, nor the irony of having one that makes a mess.

I don't see many box elder beetles, but I'm always finding asian lady beetles around the house. They seem to know when I'm painting and like to drown themselves in the can, leaving orange stains on the surface. I have a central vacuum and get perverse pleasure out of hearing bug bodies click through the pipes on their way to the canister in the garage. Those zippy house centipedes with the long legs get them all blown off during the trip, leaving only a squirming torso in the dusty destination.

;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

20 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, it's not real.  Photoshopped!  Thank God.

It depends who one talks to... :D  But, all the 'REAL' sources of information on spiders say the picture has to be a Photoshop product. Largest spider

If you are used to looking at images to detect manipulation you will probably notice the spider's shadow is wrong.

51 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Or a cuddle..

RE: Lucas The Spider

Fake News!  They are using YouTube to spread their Propaganda!    Lure you to the web with a song.   Just don't fall for their tricks!

Edited by KathrynLisbeth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.