4 commandments which I found

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Talakin/203/198/22

I found a 4-sided obelisk with useful advice to SL users on all 4 sides.

It is by a corner of the harbor by the seafood stall.

They are as follows. (I don't know who put them there.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good neighbor commandments for Second Life mainland

Thou shalt not block roads or sea lanes with thy objects, nor shall ye set ban lines, for they are the suck.
Thou shalt allow build and run scripts on thy land and use autoreturn to keep it tidy, for it is thy friend
Thou shalt beget privacy walls, screens, and shrubbery around thy land which please the eye of thy neighbor as they do thyself
Thou shalt not set thy security orb to teleport people without at least a one minute warning, lest thou beest a suck.

Edited by CaptainJack Grauman
add
  • Confused 3

On 3/1/2018 at 12:56 AM, CaptainJack Grauman said:

At

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Talakin/203/198/22

I found a 4-sided obelisk with useful advice to SL users on all 4 sides.

It is by a corner of the harbor by the seafood stall.

They are as follows. (I don't know who put them there.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good neighbor commandments for Second Life mainland

Thou shalt not block roads or sea lanes with thy objects, nor shall ye set ban lines, for they are the suck.
Thou shalt allow build and run scripts on thy land and use autoreturn to keep it tidy, for it is thy friend
Thou shalt beget privacy walls, screens, and shrubbery around thy land which please the eye of thy neighbor as they do thyself
Thou shalt not set thy security orb to teleport people without at least a one minute warning, lest thou beest a suck.

The problem I have with that obelisk is that some people use it as a form of griefing itself in fact, by pretending they abide by these rules, then putting in on small little parcels with other things that drive people away.

I generally abide by these rules as I don't allow security orbs on the ground, only in the sky, and don't allow ban lines. Re: shrubs/privacy screens, so often people put up photo-real boards that really look god-awful so I don't allow them in a lot of areas. Unchecking "avatars can see me" is the best form of privacy there is.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The problem I have with that obelisk is that some people use it as a form of griefing itself in fact, by pretending they abide by these rules, then putting in on small little parcels with other things that drive people away.

I generally abide by these rules as I don't allow security orbs on the ground, only in the sky, and don't allow ban lines. Re: shrubs/privacy screens, so often people put up photo-real boards that really look god-awful so I don't allow them in a lot of areas. Unchecking "avatars can see me" is the best form of privacy there is.

I don’t understand, so you are saying the “problem” with the “4 commandments” obelisk is (restated) that people who place it on their lands are sometimes hypocrites and don’t practice the 4 commandments which they are preaching? I have to interpret your statement that way, otherwise the fact that people don’t follow the commandments isn’t a “problem” with the obelisk - it’s a problem with the people.

• Like 2

A few days ago I was on a highish-level exploratory overflight in the Heterocera continent and I ran into a zero-time-limit security orb and it suddenly flipped me to Mauve. (Mauve presumably because, when I joined SL after I had been through an Orientation Island and a Help Island, I first went to Mauve.) I can't see how I could see or hear anything private on a high-level jetpack-aided overflight over the area, any more than in reality when I overfly city areas in an airliner.) It should be easyish for the Lindens to add a bit of programming overriding too-short time limits in security orbs.

How easy would it be for an administrator (or whatever they are called in SL) to write and run a script to search all sims for a particular sort of item and list its findings?

Edited by CaptainJack Grauman

22 minutes ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

A few days ago I was on a highish-level exploratory overflight in the Heterocera continent and I ran into a zero-time-limit security orb and it suddenly flipped me to Mauve. (Mauve presumably because, when I joined SL after I had been through an Orientation Island and a Help Island, I first went to Mauve.) I can't see how I could see or hear anything private on a high-level jetpack-aided overflight over the area, any more than in reality when I overfly city areas in an airliner.) It should be easyish for the Lindens to add a bit of programming overriding too-short time limits in security orbs.

How easy would it be for an administrator (or whatever they are called in SL) to write and run a script to search all sims for a particular sort of item and list its findings?

Your “home” spot / point must be set to Mauve. You can set it to someplace else.

*Edit* Then again..

CD3E90D9-2130-489E-9804-587A67320661.gif

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

If "a particular sort of item" were limited to, say, objects larger than 10m or tinted a particular shade of puce, no problem.

If it means objects scripted to behave a certain way: provably impossible in the general case.

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If "a particular sort of item" were limited to, say, objects larger than 10m or tinted a particular shade of puce, no problem.

If so, then it should be easy to make a general search for "sky junk".

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If it means objects scripted to behave a certain way: provably impossible in the general case.

As regards security orbs:

(1) Let the startup for SL include a link to click for users to report any case of them being bounced out by a security orb with an illegally short warning time.

(2) If a sky orb's script contains a characteristic piece of program text, scan for that text, in a way somewhat like virus-checking.

8 minutes ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

If so, then it should be easy to make a general search for "sky junk".

As regards security orbs:

(1) Let the startup for SL include a link to click for users to report any case of them being bounced out by a security orb with an illegally short warning time.

(2) If a sky orb's script contains a characteristic piece of program text, scan for that text, in a way somewhat like virus-checking.

Why search for “sky junk”?

I don’t believe zero-second ejections are “illegal” (against TOS).

2 minutes ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

Sky junk is miscellaneous objects floating about in the air above sims, and have been a chronic cause of complaints as impeding flying activities.

it's there by residents that most likely OWN the place... you as flyer don't have free access to that if you didn't ask them.

Orbs are  reccomended to give some time to get away, but it's not against TOS to simply eject without warning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

Sky junk is miscellaneous objects floating about in the air above sims, and have been a chronic cause of complaints as impeding flying activities.

Ok..how would you tell a skybox from “sky junk”? I think you are tilting at windmills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJack Grauman said:

One man's junk is another man's treasure.

In more ways than one

• Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, CaptainJack Grauman said:

Whoever owns the parcel has the right to put whatever they want in the air, at any height,  over their parcel.  The parcel owner does not have to allow anyone to fly through their parcel's air space.

People who think that they have a right to fly where ever they want have been a chronic cause of irritation to many parcel owners.  

You are free fly above linden roads, protected (linden owned) waterways and often can also fly above abandoned land - when flying in those areas, you shouldn't run into any 'sky junk' but if you do, you can report that if it is over linden owned land/water. 

On 3/2/2018 at 6:31 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I don’t believe zero-second ejections are “illegal” (against TOS).

Apparently not. But there's no reason they should be possible. llReturnObjectsByID needs a 1-minute delay built in before the return takes place. That would stop the overly aggressive security bots. For extra credit, LL could add a "targeted" event, which tells objects when an llReturnObjectsByID request has been made about them. Then aircraft would know to leave the area.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, animats said:

Apparently not. But there's no reason they should be possible. llReturnObjectsByID needs a 1-minute delay built in before the return takes place. That would stop the overly aggressive security bots. For extra credit, LL could add a "targeted" event, which tells objects when an llReturnObjectsByID request has been made about them. Then aircraft would know to leave the area.

But then you’d have to wait a minute to eject a real griefer. Whose side are you on?

-1 vote

• Like 1

On 02 March 2018 at 12:27 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Your “home” spot / point must be set to Mauve. You can set it to someplace else.

*Edit* Then again..

CD3E90D9-2130-489E-9804-587A67320661.gif

The day I arrived at my new desk in my first real "professional corporate I.T. Operations" job, there was a sign on the wall above it...

"There are TWO kinds of people in I.T.

Those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand..."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.