Stalkers

JimTondini

1 hour ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

being stalked poses no risk of anything!

That is simply not true. As someone who has been stalked in RL by an abusive ex I had to be extra careful online to not reveal any personally identifying information. There is no question that he not only could have tracked me down, he would have. And having already had a 9mm aimed at my head while bullets went through the wall behind me, I wasn't about to allow it to happen again. Yes, he could have tracked me down in SL and from there to where I lived in RL, thanks to RedZone.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

being hacked is totally different from being stalked.. being stalked poses no risk of anything! Really need to grow some balls and pull yourself back into reality. MUTE, BLOCK, IGNORE. Job done!

And then they create an alt. And another, and another. After that, they slander your name and try to provoke you or make you "give up"...  You are shifting the blame onto the victim. If they feel annoyed or disturbed by the stalker, its their fault, right? If the person you stalk ever feels that way, they should man up, grow a pair and such, but you certainly didn't do anything wrong.

On the forums we also suggest to people to first try to block people and wait in the hopes that their stalker gets bored, because sadly, thats often their only option. We also often suggest alts as a method to escape. But does that make the stalkers actions normal or good? No.

Personally I don't believe in SL accounts getting "hacked". People use that word far to losely. Most people, who lose acess to their account, or get their money taken in other ways, weren't careful enough with their account information and safety or clicked links and objects without a second thought. They fall for bad people, scams or phishing. Does that make the accounts of the thief/scammer better or even justified? No. Same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is obvious that you haven't a single clue exactly how nasty stalking can get... Nor do you understand that you admitted to a light version of it in this very thread. 

Mute, Block and Ignore - yes. Then you move on. 

You don't use online tracker HUDs to see when they're online. You don't see where they go/hang out... Nothing. 

Move. On. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Syo Emerald said:

And then they create an alt.   ...  We also often suggest alts as a method to escape.

I would never do this.  I'm 13 years in SL and I have a life, friends and a closet full of all the shoes and clothes I want!  (Well, almost all.  There is always another dress or pair of heels.)  If a guy stalks me I'll do everything to keep him away and they always get tired and leave, eventually anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I wish that were true of all stalkers, RL and/or SL. I really do wish it were true. Some never do give up.

You're right, of course.  I knew someone when I first came to SL and she is still stalking me after 13 years.  It isn't constant, and sometimes there's a lot of time between moments that she'll show up, but then there she is again.  I always think "This time she won't be crazy" and of course she always is.

1 minute ago, Donna Underall said:

You're right, of course.  I knew someone when I first came to SL and she is still stalking me after 13 years.  It isn't constant, and sometimes there's a lot of time between moments that she'll show up, but then there she is again.  I always think "This time she won't be crazy" and of course she always is.

It's even worse when they don't give up in RL. There were only two things that did stop him. Doing time at Camp Fed and death.

There are those that inevitably prove they are not worth the effort to remove them from the block list.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Amber Swallowtail said:

being stalked poses no risk of anything! Really need to grow some balls and pull yourself back into reality. MUTE, BLOCK, IGNORE. Job done!

So you were happy that some "douche bag random person" found out your RL info?

On 3/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, Amber Swallowtail said:

I found the douche bag random person that hacked me once and stole my lindens and rl info

Oh, seems not.

What if they had suddenly turned up at your workplace? Or your home? Started threatening your family members?

Could you mute and block them in real life?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 5

Amber, simple question: why are you doing it?

They are your exes. By your account they're not even nice people. Why are you investing time and money in devices and flying around all over the board just to see them, or for them to see you? You say "to show them what they're missing", but you're the one creeping on them and spending your time and money forcing them to see you, not them. Why?

You're trying to impact negatively upon their SL experience by intentionally flying into their field of vision and keeping track of their online presence, when you know they have no desire to see you. Why?

They're off minding their own business in their current SL. Why exactly are you unwilling to do the same?

If it's for you, it won't go by you. They're exes for a reason. Listen to your own "it's not real here" schtick and move on.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Donna Underall said:

I would never do this.  I'm 13 years in SL and I have a life, friends and a closet full of all the shoes and clothes I want!  (Well, almost all.  There is always another dress or pair of heels.)  If a guy stalks me I'll do everything to keep him away and they always get tired and leave, eventually anyway.

I would also never do it, personally. But for some people its an option, at least for a while.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm having stalking issues too. I'm currently facing stalking behaviour from either an individual or a group, who are employing multiple alternate accounts across various platforms. They're adopting avatars and username that feel familiar to me, possibly as a means of trolling. I suspect they might even be using AI to enhance their activities. Despite lacking concrete evidence, these experiences have deeply disturbed me. While some, like my friends and family, suggest ignoring them, it's increasingly challenging as they intrude into the games I play across different platforms. This situation, even if intended as a joke, is far from amusing and has become extremely unsettling. I'm at a loss for what to do. I've attempted various solutions such as creating new accounts and emails, and even stepping back from social media games, but nothing seems to deter them. not sure if I have been hacked through accounts or data leaks, and it just seems like too much energy to put on one person though.... unless they do it to others out there as well.

Have you learned nothing from this thread...? smh.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:58 PM, Skell Dagger said:

being stalked poses no risk of anything! Really need to grow some balls and pull yourself back into reality. MUTE, BLOCK, IGNORE. Job done!

Also, don't drag old topics back from the dead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Have you learned nothing from this thread...? smh.

Also, don't drag old topics back from the dead.

A 5 year old thread is rather rank, however the topic is new for this poster directly above your response. Maybe someone has some new ideas for her?

I don't know what else to do besides muting & blocking those who annoy you, and if all else fails creating an alt account to be able to play in SL in peace. LL won't do anything about what happens off their platform & won't do much about what happens on their platform. Situations like this are generally treated like a resident to resident dispute, which we're expected to handle on our own, hopefully without escalating the conflict.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

A 5 year old thread is rather rank, however the topic is new for this poster directly above your response. Maybe someone has some new ideas for her?

I feel a bit for new posters. On the one hand, we'll sometimes lash them if they start a new thread about something that's been discussed already ("Why didn't you search? You'd have found this thread on the same subject!"), and on the other, we'll castigate them for necroposting when they clearly have searched for a topic, and found a thread that seems appropriate.

I don't think we've published a "best before" date for our threads anywhere? How "old" does a thread have to be for it to constitute a necroposting?

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't know what else to do besides muting & blocking those who annoy you, and if all else fails creating an alt account to be able to play in SL in peace. LL won't do anything about what happens off their platform & won't do much about what happens on their platform. Situations like this are generally treated like a resident to resident dispute, which we're expected to handle on our own, hopefully without escalating the conflict.

And yes, sadly, this is also true. There isn't really anything new to say on this subject.

• Like 4

create an Alt and run around in that for a bit.  Don't tell any one you are creating and alt  because the stalker might have an alt who is  a friend in the friend list