Lumiya mobile client no longer on 3rd party viewer list?

Diana Tyran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't keep up with mobile or text viewers any more. I use Google's Remote Desktop to access SL from my phone. It is a bit of a PITA, but it works well and is free. Not all that bad. I need a stylus and the Hackers keyboard for it to work. My fingers are too big for the S8's screen and the nails make it even more difficult. A tablet will run Remote Desktop and would be ideal, IMO.

By using Remote I have my main computer rendering SL, not the phone. So, the 1920 image from the desktop displayed on the S8 is gorgeous but tiny. Some if the scenic places in SL look real on the phone.

Inara does a better job than I keeping up on Lumiya. Her last article was Dec 2016. Her articles are here: Lumiya. Inara points out it has Daydream VR... way neat.

The Lumiya web site seems to have last updated about September 2017 and the viewer is at version 3.4.1.

It looks like Lumiya may have just been blocked by LL. Or at least is having login problems. Starting today when I tried logging in through Lumiya I get "Secondlife Cannot be accessed from this computer" and I'm not the only one. I have seen 5 other cases of folks not being able to log in through Lumiya today.

2 minutes ago, JuanPablo Asp said:

Wow, I can not access with Lumiya now, there will be some problem for not being on the supported 3rd party viewer list?

No.  I imagine that it's the other way around.  A TPV does not need to be on the list, so removing it from the list would not make Lumiya unavailable  I suspect that Lumiya is no longer on the list because it is unavailable.

If the creators account gets banned from access SL the viewer is removed from the TPV

BUT, the viewer still works.

The only reason a viewer gets blocked would be using "illegal" functions, doubt thats the cause here.

More likely that users cannot connect because SL acting up especially using non wired internet.

Monti

That list of Third Party Viewers is not an "approved" list.  Linden Lab does not put viewers on the list.  The creators of the viewers do that themselves by self-certifying that their viewers conform to acceptable standards. There are some viewers that are perfectly safe to use but not on the list, simply because their designers have decided not to self-certify.  The confusing part is that many viewer are also not on the list because they are unsafe, so you can't tell which ones are which.  As Monti says, Lumiya has been around for a long time and has been reliable.  It's likely that it is missing from the list now because its own designers have removed it.

• Thanks 1

Per Diana above, the viewer was removed from the TPV list by a Linden last fall.  Also according to above, the creator has now been banned from SL (confirmed by the fact that the user's profile is no longer available).  However, the creator being banned does not specifically imply that there are issues with the viewer.  Even though it is not on the TPV list, if it can connect, then LL has not banned the viewer itself and thus it should be safe to use.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

... if it can connect, then LL has not banned the viewer itself and thus it should be safe to use.

Well, no. There are a number of viewers that are known to be unsafe that can connect to SL.

The problem is the SL servers can not reach into your computer and see which viewer you are running. The SL servers are dependent on the viewer to tell them which viewer it is. So, when a hacker wants to scam you they build their own version of a viewer and simply have it lie. Sometimes the user's behavior reveals they are using a 'lying' viewer. But, it is the user that gets blocked not the viewer.

So, you have to make a call. Do you trust Lumiya? 

If not, you can use it with an Alt-Avatar. Inconvenient, but workable. The basic security step is log off, go to the website and change the Alt's password. Every time you use the Alt with Lumiya. PITA.

People do trust Lumiya and use it. Either because they blindly trust or are unaware of it coming off the list. Either way, if people were having a problem we would hear about it here in the forum.

I pointed out my alternative here, 

• Thanks 1

The viewer hasn't hasn't been banned from accessing the grid i've used it today so i would consider it safe to use. i've not heard a single thing as to why the viewer is no longer on the TPV or the creator is banned. it's the only android viewer worth bothering with so i do hope it doesn't get banned

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Well, no. There are a number of viewers that are known to be unsafe that can connect to SL.

The problem is the SL servers can not reach into your computer and see which viewer you are running. The SL servers are dependent on the viewer to tell them which viewer it is. So, when a hacker wants to scam you they build their own version of a viewer and simply have it lie. Sometimes the user's behavior reveals they are using a 'lying' viewer. But, it is the user that gets blocked not the viewer.

Yes, that makes sense.

So, while any new downloads of the viewer might or might not be questionable, if you can log on with an existing download (that has not been updated since last fall), then that would imply that LL did not ban the viewer (since that version would likely not be lying to LL about who/what it is)  - correct?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, that makes sense.

So, while any new downloads of the viewer might or might not be questionable, if you can log on with an existing download (that has not been updated since last fall), then that would imply that LL did not ban the viewer (since that version would likely not be lying to LL about who/what it is)  - correct?

Sort of... but, the point is the SL servers only know what the viewer tells them. So, today I can compile a new viewer and have it tell the SL servers it is an older version. So, you're still reading too much into the process. The Lab's servers cannot distinguish between a lie and the truth. So, if the Lab were to ban Lumiya, a new version just lies and says its some other viewer.

Firestorm has a problem because the copyboters make their viewers pretend to be Firestorm to hide in the crowd. Nothing the Firestorm people can do to stop them nor the Lab to detect the bad viewers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry to hear that it appears Lumiya's creator has been banned, or at least has left SL.

I have used Lumiya for a long time with no problems (that I know of).  However, I would be very reluctant to use a viewer that is a) not on the TPV list and b) was created by someone who may have gotten in trouble with LL.  We DO NOT KNOW whether that was because she put something dodgy in her viewer, you see.  After all, that has happened before.

I guess I will be removing Lumiya from my smartphone.  I'll miss it.

• Like 1

Another clearance.

To get "your" viewer on the TPV list your account must be in - good standing.

I guess that means, if you are banned from SL, your viewer will be removed from the list.

Wouldn´t untrust Lumiya now, just not update it anymore - if the creator has interest to do so anyway.

Monti

• Like 1

Why not sale Lumiya to linden labs they have a ready made App or to one of the third party viewers.

Do not need to develop one from scratch. it is still best one and only one that is good on android phones and pads. 

And now they lose out people on Android pads that do not own PCs or Laptops that use second life 

Edited by Somersetnudist1

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Lumiya is no longer on the Google Play store either.

For tablet and Chromebook users, there is a subscription service called Bright Canopy that will get you into SL.  https://brightcanopy.com/

Oh screw that, that's absolutely disgusting. $17 a month and you get 10 hours, $0.03 for each additional minute over and it takes 30 minutes each time you start that program regardless if you use it for 10 seconds. I hope Lumiya stays cause that pricing is garbage.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.