Corrections, grammar, spelling etc.

pennytrated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is often easy to distinguish difficulty with the language from plain laziness or not caring or text speak.  Not too mention that much of the time, it is not necessarily about actual grammar, but simply trying to make something readable.  If it is a long post, it really is difficult to read if it is not broken up a bit with some line spacing.  Ditto if the post is just a huge long run-on sentence.  Many of us just won't bother and and then the OP is going to be limited in responses.

I don't both correct various spelling errors or the misc. grammar issues.  However, I will mention the lack of line spacing and/or run-on sentences if they truly make reading the post difficult.  IMO, mentioning such is actually helpful to the OP as it may help more people actually read the post and give replies.

IKR?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

My Spanish is sorta stuck on one handy, use it in all situations, phrase "una pelicula de vaqueros".

Mine consists of the two phrases that are important when I travel:  dónde está el baño and otra bebida por favor

Oh - and also:  habla usted Inglés

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

English is my second language. I started having English classes in school, when I was eleven years old. Outside of that time in school, the Internet has always been the only place to practice my language skill. Fortunatly, I picked up English well enough to be able to watch movies and TV in English or read a book. I can communicate with people and as far as I know, I'm not sticking out like a sore tumb on forums (or so I have been told from some US guys on another forum). Of course, I'm FAR from perfect and my spoken English likely sounds horrible.

Yet, I also belong to the group of people, who (sometimes) complain about the way others write. I do that in both languages, English and German. Not because I'm perfect and not because I wouldn't know how much others may struggle to express themselves, but because to me making the efford to write good is pure respect and politeness, especially when you want something from others. If someones does their best to be understandable, I see that they care and that they want to make it as easy as possible for me. If instead someone just throws out incomplete sentences with lots of shortened words, makes spelling- and grammar mistakes that clearly come from lazyness and does not care to add any punctuation/paragrahps at all...well, then I get the impression this person does not only wants something, but thinks they are entitled to it, even if they give me the extra struggle to read the mess they just typed down.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Sadly i just feel entitled enough to correct german. :)

"Bier schmeckt besser wie Wein".
"Nicht wie, sondern als!"

"Ich hab´ Schmerzen in die Schultern."
"In den Schultern!"

I may have to add, I can correct them on a far higher level in german. For english its just the most cluttered mess. xD

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Mine consists of the two phrases that are important when I travel:  dónde está el baño and otra bebida por favor

Oh - and also:  habla usted Inglés

Dos mas cervezas, por favor. (Two more beers, please)

No es mi trabajo. (That's not my job)

Coma esta frejoli. (How have you bean)

That's about all the Spanish I know.

9 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

This should be "Not to mention" 

Gah.  KanT U speek gooder English!

Oh, woe is me.  How could I have made such a mistake?

What?  How dare you be so arrogant as to correct my spelling/grammar?  Maybe I'm just not as educated as you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Bad grammar and incorrect spelling doesn't bother me as much as a lack of punctuation and paragraphs.  I can generally translate bad grammar and spelling errors in my mind as I read the post.  

A long post with no (or very little) punctuation, bad grammar and spelling errors, though, is very difficult to read and interpret. I don't think it is wrong to indicate to the poster that they should use punctuation and break their post up into multiple paragraphs, so that their post can be better understood.  (Long posts which are well formatted are not an issue.) 

• Like 5

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Feel free to fill this out and submit it!

402CBEE7-97D4-499D-A7CB-F6A86A59AD97.jpeg

To be candid...how is this productive?  Is it up lifting or constructive.  I would say Other...it is lack of consideration for someone that was asking a honest question.  Move past oh yes....I usually do when I met toxic people.  TC

1 minute ago, pennytrated said:

To be candid...how is this productive?  Is it up lifting or constructive.  I would say Other...it is lack of consideration for someone that was asking a honest question.  Move past oh yes....I usually do when I met toxic people.  TC

It’s a way of saying, “lighten up.” Therefore, it should be uplifting if one can laugh and not take themselves too seriously.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Feel free to fill this out and submit it!

402CBEE7-97D4-499D-A7CB-F6A86A59AD97.jpeg

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I agree with you to a small extent. I saw a case where someone was making some grammar and spelling mistakes.

The judgment was that they may not have English as their first language, so be sure to get their business info proof-read. Response: English WAS their first language.

That being said: people will take your posts more seriously if your posts have good grammar and spelling. Long run-on sentences with many grammar and spelling errors make many of us just..stop..reading.  It’s nothing personal!

ok...Since when were any of us given the right to judge anyone here?  Or in RL?  Any one having the balls to post deserves respect.  So does that give me the right to tell you that your neko look really blows, and could give you at least other places where you can lose the noob neko look.  No.  I have no  right,  YOU or anyone was given the right to judge.  So feel free to ridicule others what ever makes you feel better.  If I use your or you're,  will the world cave in..no.  Will someone take away your birthday ..no.   But from personal experience starting  a "helpful" comment with a dig its not only demeaning, but disrespectful.  Think: Is what you are about to respond is it up lifting, is it caring,  does it show you care about them, does it reflect understanding or is it making a hurtful situation worse.  When some one hurts the last thing I care about is run on sentences, miss spelled words., and anyone one and I mean ANYONE that is reaching out,  has to be taken seriously.   No offense either ....Ever notice that those that are being treated like this...never post again?  So did we help or hurt? 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, ThorinII said:

In chat, I can ignore grammar and spelling mistakes - but here in the forums, where you (general you) have the time to skim over your reply and edit it if necessary, I'm not as lenient.

That said, English actually IS my second language, so I do occasionally have to look up some word, or do make the occasional grammar mistake. And yet, I always try my best - and expect the same from others. ESPECIALLY when it comes to posts in which they try to sell something, advertize an event, or are asking for help. After all, they want to be understood by the majority here, so (in my opinion) they should do their best, too. B|

So? How many times have you said your when it should have been you're.  No body is perfect, and while I appreciate your efforts...when you are handed a black robe and a gavel?  You and again kudos, can not foist your expectations on others.  Hey go steal their shoes and walk in them.  Its not fair to put your ideas to someone else.  I have lofty expectations of my self, and a strong ethical expectation of myself.  But that's to me.  Chat, IM, and forum are one in the same. ....When you are perfect every day of your life.  Then apply to be judge.  For now, you would get more appreciation by tossing the petty stuff out and bring the human back in.  ...No offense, just my thoughts.   I went in to SL not to be judged.  I dont care if someone wants to run around as a 10m Tree, I wont judge,  I will laugh but hey this is their fun.  Personally I hate judgement.  In a role playing game...ffs.  Isnt judgement and freedom to be what we want the whole idea of RPG?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.