Being able to contact a person in-world,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would it be great if LL's came up with a way of being able to contact individuals  in SL without actually going in SL, This would be so useful, for instance, if I had a DJ set and was stuck in traffic or power has gone down at home and had to inform someone about the event I could use my smartphone to contact a person, rather than go into SL.

I'm aware of a program on android that allows you to access sl but none on iPhone, but I'm talking about contacting individuals 

whats your thoughts on this ?????

48 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I'm aware of a program on android that allows you to access sl but none on iPhone, but I'm talking about contacting individuals

friend them on FB?

If it's that important to them too, they will do that gladly.

If not, why add more rubbish to sl that can break/glitch/bug?.. for a handfull of members (for the reasons you mention)

1 hour ago, Nova Convair said:

You can send emails to objects.

So rez an object and put in a simple script that relays incoming emails to im's.

Excellent idea! The email can take minutes to arrive but that shouldn't matter in this case.

Edited by Phil Deakins

Scripts can also act as primitive web servers, so they can fetch up little web pages that could be used to mediate interactive, real time "chat" between external browsers and in-world avatars. The big limitation here is that the server's URL is ephemeral, changing every time the sim restarts (among other triggers), so a bit of extra plumbing is needed to really make this work. Still, I'd have thought somebody would have already done that and would offer it as a subscription service (to cover the ongoing cost of that "extra plumbing"). No idea, though, whether this all does indeed exist already.

[EDIT: It may be more practical to base this on an external web-based chat program, adding an interface that merely alerts in-world avatars to "calling" from that chat, instead of operating the chat itself from an in-world script. The in-world avatar's side of the chat will also be best handled by a web interface, so that may as well be from an external server -- assuming all hosting fees offset by subscription. Unfortunately, though, I'd expect the demand for this to be limited even at zero margin, so I'm not sure it's worth anybody's time to implement as a third-party service... and if that's correct, then it surely could never make the cut as SL feature.]

Edited by Qie Niangao

I've had an object that will relay messages from email to inworld PMs for years. Like was said above, it's an object that I rez inworld on my parcel. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't really remember the instructions. You can find them on the MP.

Edited by Aislin Ceawlin

3 hours ago, Aislin Ceawlin said:

I've had an object that will relay messages from email to inworld PMs for years. Like was said above, it's an object that I rez inworld on my parcel. I haven't used it in a while, so I don't really remember the instructions. You can find them on the MP.

I don't understand -- we can already reply to IMs-to-email, how is this different?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I don't understand -- we can already reply to IMs-to-email, how is this different?

SL's IM-to-email mechanism only allows an e-mail reply (within 5 days) to an e-mail message from SL that resulted from an IM.

Greek wants a way to send an unsolicited e-mail to SL that then gets forwarded to one or more residents as IMs (and might then be forwarded again as e-mails).

There is no native way to send messages into SL from the outside (other than as the previously mentioned replies), only to send them out from the inside. Scripted objects can work around this. I had one like the thing Aislin described.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 1:50 AM, Aislin Ceawlin said:

This lets you initiate the message rather than just respond

So, if I log into www.secondlife.com but not launch a viewer, can I initiate an IM conversation. I would get the reply by email and then could respond to that. Maybe I am missing something here but it would seem to me that when logged into the SL website you could initiate a conversation. If not, I have a desktop computer Windows 7. Is there a way?

• Like 1

You must be logged inworld - into the viewer - before you can initiate an IM (at least not using any additional products/services).  If the person replies and you are not online (or if they initiate an IM and you are not online), the IM would come to email (assuming you have that set to do so) and you could then reply.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You must be logged inworld - into the viewer - before you can initiate an IM (at least not using any additional products/services).  If the person replies and you are not online (or if they initiate an IM and you are not online), the IM would come to email (assuming you have that set to do so) and you could then reply.

Yes, I am looking at something on marketplace that may allow initiating an IM conversation when not in world

1 hour ago, AlleyCat Tyles said:

So, if I log into www.secondlife.com but not launch a viewer, can I initiate an IM conversation. I would get the reply by email and then could respond to that. Maybe I am missing something here but it would seem to me that when logged into the SL website you could initiate a conversation. If not, I have a desktop computer Windows 7. Is there a way?

This is what I'm trying to tell you, there are products on the MP that will allow you to initiate a PM from your email without being logged in. Look up Email to IM in MP.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.