How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

Almost finished my Shakespeare's Women series. Which is a good thing, as it opens in 2 weeks.

Cleopatra.

It's pretty much impossible not to talk about Shakespeare's Cleopatra in terms of her powerful and, in the more traditional view, dangerously toxic, sexuality. I've tried to give it a more positive spin here.

Cleopatra-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.346b61b5addca7734c43d78798823e9f.png

I should add a quick word about my decision to depict Cleo as a black woman.

There is some evidence that Cleopatra, although by heritage largely Greek, had a great deal of Egyptian or Sub-Sarahan black in her. The Ptolemaic dynasty had ruled Egypt, after all, for over two and a half centuries. On balance, it seems probable that she was darker of complexion, at least, than contemporary Greeks and Macedonians.

But that's not the reason I've chosen to represent Cleopatra as black. My focus is on a sort of reading of Shakespeare's character, rather than the historical Queen of Egypt, and Shakespeare's text refers to Cleopatra as "dark" or "tawny" on a few occasions. More to the point, though, she is made to represent a dangerously alien and "exotic" set of values that contrasts with Rome's, and making her black underlines the sense of her "otherness" in the context of the play.

• Like 30

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Almost finished my Shakespeare's Women series. Which is a good thing, as it opens in 2 weeks.

Cleopatra.

It's pretty much impossible not to talk about Shakespeare's Cleopatra in terms of her powerful and, in the more traditional view, dangerously toxic, sexuality. I've tried to give it a more positive spin here.

Cleopatra-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.346b61b5addca7734c43d78798823e9f.png

I should add a quick word about my decision to depict Cleo as a black woman.

There is some evidence that Cleopatra, although by heritage largely Greek, had a great deal of Egyptian or Sub-Sarahan black in her. The Ptolemaic dynasty had ruled Egypt, after all, for over two and a half centuries. On balance, it seems probable that she was darker of complexion, at least, than contemporary Greeks and Macedonians.

But that's not the reason I've chosen to represent Cleopatra as black. My focus is on a sort of reading of Shakespeare's character, rather than the historical Queen of Egypt, and Shakespeare's text refers to Cleopatra as "dark" or "tawny" on a few occasions. More to the point, though, she is made to represent a dangerously alien and "exotic" set of values that contrasts with Rome's, and making her black underlines the sense of her "otherness" in the context of the play.

@Scylla Rhiadra Your picture and your reasoning behind it are awesome. I just now told Bill to get a copy of it on your opening day. Cleopatra looks so sweet, but there seems to be a sword on the floor. It's so much more ladylike than sitting on a submachinegun on a submarine. Us 80's girl's, you know?

submachinegun.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cirleen said:

@Scylla Rhiadra Your picture and your reasoning behind it are awesome. I just now told Bill to get a copy of it on your opening day. Cleopatra looks so sweet, but there seems to be a sword on the floor. It's so much more ladylike than sitting on a submachinegun on a submarine. Us 80's girl's, you know?

submachinegun.jpg

Pffft. Machine guns are soooooo passé.

Check out TikTok. ALL the influencers are tossing around pila these days.

7295aac758ffe71a72d91f60bfb8b45e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Pffft. Machine guns are soooooo passé.

Check out TikTok. ALL the influencers are tossing around pila these days.

7295aac758ffe71a72d91f60bfb8b45e.jpg

Javelins. So you're a 90's girl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5