Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

On 16/05/2017 at 8:22 AM, Xerxes Kingstop said:

I have pulled back from SL on two separate occasions.  

Each time I believed that I was not coming back, although the second time I was at least wise enough not to declare such out loud.  Each time it was for emotional rather than practical reasons.  Each time I was drawn back within a few weeks.  

Anyone have stories/observations to share?  

I have done the same thing a number of times, the longest was for a few years.
I think it is healthy to take breaks just because you can get jaded from it after a while.

Mostly I come and go a fair bit and sometimes for weeks at a time.
In fact I am like that inworld and on the forums, a bit of a drifter at times.
I see this as reasonably normal though, real life should come first after all and sometimes it demands all of my spare time.

I still very much enjoy my inworld experiences and have been enjoying the new forums as well.

• Like 4

In my case it was never a positive force pulling me away: IE having other things I want to do.   My meatspace life isn't that good.   I came to SL as an escape at the outset.  If meatspace was all that interesting I wouldn't have been here. 

It was a negative force pushing me away: emotions making SL difficult. 'Heartbreak' for lack of a better term.  

That 'real world' place that was so disheartening as to require escape became less problematic than the escape - the problem a lesser evil than the solution. 

*shrug* I'm not trying to cry on anyone's shoulder, I'm just sharing and looking to comprehend the common ground among us. 

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Xerxes Kingstop said:

In my case it was never a positive force pulling me away: IE I have other things I want to do.   My meatspace life isn't that good.   I came to SL as an escape at the outset.  If meatspace was all that interesting I wouldn't have been here. 

It was a negative force pushing me away: emotions making SL difficult. 'Heartbreak' for lack of a better term.  

That 'real world' place that was so disheartening as to require escape became less problematic than the escape - the problem a lesser evil than the solution. 

*shrug* I'm not trying to cry on anyone's shoulder, I'm just sharing and looking to comprehend the common ground among us. 

I left SL after ending a partnership, by placing Madelaine (Marbach) on a burning raft and setting her adrift in the ocean. (I really did that, it was both cathartic and amusing.) At the time of my leaving, Brenda Connolly said "You won't be able to stay away for more than three weeks." Five weeks later, Madelaine returned as a McMasters. The first thing I said to Brenda was "Ha, Proved ya wrong! Plplplplpl." (Or something like that, I'm sure).

My second tour is going out with a whimper rather than a bang, finding me in the forum far more than in-world. I've always been a creature of text and, for as wonderful as it is, SL requires more undivided attention than I have for it most days. I've participated in other forums for far longer than the nine years I've been in SL, so I don't expect to turn off the lights any time soon. Until then, thank you all for putting up with us (Snugs made me say that.)

;-).

• Like 4

GIF girl has it correct because the carriage carries the paper, not the print mechanism. . I only see one prehistoric typewriter on that whole page of search results with the return lever on the right side, the great majority are on the left. 

It was a good line, though. 

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I even had this in my sewing room until my daughter's steampunk obsessed friend stole it from me. (Not really, stolen.  I mean I have know her since she was born and I asked her if she wanted it after she was married and she ruthlessly said yes)

She probably dismantled it while watching my Repo Genetic Opera dvd  =@.@=

• Like 1