How is price of items determined by creators?

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because ... established creators can ask the price they want and those creating stuff at cheaper prices, are perhaps trying to cut into the market.

Because ... some creators still rely on quantity to achieve maximal revenue in spite of the high quality of their work.

Because ... any creator decides his own marketvalue of his creations.

Because .. you got it.

Just because something is for sale, doesn't mean anyone is buying it.

Sometimes people look at things like land near my sim and comment about how 'wow, land prices are absurdly high in this part of mainland'. But I look and notice that the same plots for sale now, have been there since I moved in in 2011, and most of them are for sale by the same people...

So a high price or even a low price is not necessarily tied to any logical "pure market capitalism wetdream theory."

Sometimes people just put on a number on things that they think is a nice number to have on things.

Some creators just do it for fun and don't care what they earn, so they sell cheap.  Other's rely on earning  money to pay for their SL expenses and some use the money to pay RL expenses either subsidizing thier RL income or actually earning their RL income in SL.  Many that depend on the money for RL do so because they can't work in RL due to age or disability and are living on a small fixed income or are unemployed.

Most things take hours, days, weeks or even months or years to create and there is nothing wrong with being compensated fairly for the work a creator does.  If everyone was forced to sell cheap, it wouldn't be worth the time for many creators and they wouldn't create.  SL would have a lot less content if this were the case.

Some creators are popular and prefer charging less and making their profit based on volume because they know they will sell a lot.  Other's can't count on volume sales either because it is a niche product or they just aren't well known enough to sell a lot of things and must charge more to cover their creation expenses and time. 

As a consumer you have a choice.  If you think something is too expensive don't buy it. If you find it cheaper and are satisfied with the quality, buy that instead.   But if you really want something and it isn't available cheaply then you will have to pay the price or go without.

Two thoughts went into my prices. One was that I honestly thought that some people charged way too much for some things. The other was that I'd rather sell 11 at 100L$ than one at 1000L$. That's an exagertaion, of course, but it states the principle. Back then, my stuff became very popular. Since then I didn't follow the trend to mesh but, even so, my stuff still sells.

Why do people get so disturbed over valid questions and post stupid replies like the one accusing me of being a bot? anyone who shops at maerketplace knows that you get excellent stuff even for just 10 L be it anything, the fact that everyone MIIGHt get it due to its price and it becomes common does not matter, we are talking about quality and price.

No one can really answer this except for their own products/price.

I price at what I want to price. There's not really a whole lot of method to my madness. I charge what I want to charge. I pay very little attention to those around me, except to note that I wouldn't pay their prices, regardless of how good the product is-but that only affects my own purchases, not the prices I charge. I can't say I base my prices on "the going rate", or similar products, or anything like that. It is truly random. Lower prices should never be seen as a merchant either devaluing their product, or as the product's quality being low. There is a varied amount of both high and low quality, at all price ranges.

I'm not necessarily sure there is a method to most merchants' madness, to be honest. I do not know how any single one of them would justify their prices, regardless of product quality. It would be an injustice(imo) to them to even try and guess why they do what they do with their own pricing schemes :)

In addition to all the reasons legitimate creators have for pricing, the mesh rippers -- and they are often ripping high quality mesh made by professionals -- usually price things very low, since their investment of time is almost nothing. Even so, when there are several copies of the same mesh ripped by different sellers, there will be a range of prices. 

I periodically check the ripped content thread over at "that other large SL-oriented forum", and it is amazing how many rippers are flooding the MP with stuff they did not make. 

For female skins, the market is really tough to get into. This is an area where you can really see the difference. You have group gifts where you have to pay to join the group - 250 L is a common price. Then there is free gifts for all to get. And hunts. And promos. And special priced skins in different venues. And full priced skins for 1000 L and up. All from the same creator.

Take WoW skins. The main store is busy so it works for them. I think the free and cheap skins is used as bait. When you get used to a face, you will continue to buy in the same style when you want another skin. Most free and cheap skins have a distinct makeup that you will easy get tired of... and it's not so easy to cover a makeup totally with makeup tattoos. Plus when you buy mesh parts like feet and breasts, you will have to continue to buy appliers from the same creator, to get a perfect match.

Another one that didn't succeed was Filthy skins. They set out top quality skins as group gifts every month. And even if the group cost money to join, it was free to join several times a year. So all you had to do was joining it when it was free, and get a good quality skin 12 times a year. Why it didn't work for them I'm not sure...

Clothing is another area where designers fight to get noticed. But totally free footwear is not so easy to find. The 10L market and up to 100 is enough to outfit you with lots...

Why do some sell boots for 899 L when others sell for 99? Same reasons as in the real world. Marketing, branding, or just quality. Or that people want what others can't afford. You can't get a §40 000 Birkin bag in RL, but you can buy a bag in SL for 1000L.

Marianne Little wrote:

Another one that didn't succeed was Filthy skins. They set out top quality skins as group gifts every month. And even if the group cost money to join, it was free to join several times a year. So all you had to do was joining it when it was free, and get a good quality skin 12 times a year.
Why it didn't work for them I'm not sure.

Perhaps it's because they gave it all away and sold very little. Why would anyone buy at the full price when they get a top one for free every month?

When I build things to put on my MP store, I price it baced on size of the object. I try to be reasonable with pricing. Every time I am looking for an item I always notice it's way more then what I am willing to pay. That said I try and keep my prices to what I would pay for an item. Seems to work.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

When I price, depends on how many colors in the set and how complicated it was to make. A simple sweater with 10 colors will be less than one that is long so requires the additional template for the lower body. If it involves multiple layers, like a vest as well as the blouse, that will cost more.

That's where I have a different mindset... My items are one cost per type. Shoes are one price, dresses another, shirts and skirts are another, Outfits are based on each component, IE if it has boots, a skirt and top it will cost more than just a dress and shoes.

It all depends. Like with shoutcast streams, most of the cheaper priced one are't very reliable, they oversell the crap out of their server(s), and in most cases, the support isn't good. Most of those don't even know much on how to actively support you. I could tell you stories of bad experiences... like the one where a provider was down for 1-2 weeks - kept telling us the downtime was out of their control and our best bet was to find something temporarily. You'd think if they were any good, they have a backup plan to at least be able to distribute temporary servers we can use until things were fixed.

Now, that doesn't make the higher priced ones that much better, although I know of 2 or 3 that in my book are probably the best in SL  You'll be paying a high monthly fee for those, which for me is just fine since I prefer good service and a stable high quality server. In the end, it comes to "you get what you pay for".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.