why do you feel the need to create a new online identity?

emmadavies1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey,

I'm an Anthropologist, i'm currently conducting research around 'The Second Self'. Any replies to this question would be helpful! Why do you feel the need/want to create a new online identity? All answer will remain anonymous in my research, open to private emailing!

First of all these kind of research questions are better placed in the normal forum. The answer-section is designed for people with actual questions, for example if they encounter a technical problem with their viewer. Beside that your researchrequest as a rather unprofessional look, as you can claim to be anyone and anything online. Right now, this could even be another attempt of the home security department to spy on us. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

You didn't include who you are, where your from, what kind of research this is and you stayed a bit vague on what you mean by "new online identity".

Also, how should someone email you, if they don't know your email adress?

• Like 1

If and I doubt it, you are an Anthropologist,, then this question "Why do you feel the need/want to create a new online identity?" could be answered by a ten year old. Maybe you got your qualification from a box of chocolates.

ADDED: And yes that was meant to be rude, it is people like you that make people like some of us in the forums who have doctorates really upset.

emmadavies1 wrote:

Hey,

I'm an Anthropologist, i'm currently conducting research around 'The Second Self'. Any replies to this question would be helpful! Why do you feel the need/want to create a new online identity? All answer will remain anonymous in my research, open to private emailing!

So, emmadavies1, this is your name as it appears on all your ID, like say, your drivers license? If not, why did you feel the need/want to to hide who you are and create a fake online identity?

Looks like you can do all your research looking in a mirror.

Now I'm assuming that you are not the famous actress Emma Davies nor the Olympic & Commonwealth cyclist. Your credentials and curriculum vitae would be nice to have. If you require anonymity then that is telling as well.

With respect, your question is incredibly vague given the scope of the subjects the "'The Second Self'" & "Online Identities". No entry criteria has been stated to narrow the expected response audience. [e.g. Please respond only if your Second Life online identity and presentation is not you as you are in real life; Other? ]

You should rethink your question methodology and prepare a proper static response audience survey with the essay component narrowed to those who fit the research entry criteria.

Just sain'

emmadavies1 wrote:

Hey,

This question is very vague and misleading.  What do you mean by the "second self"?  Do you mean an on-line identity?  If so do you mean only in second life or in other on-line social sites and/or MMOs?  Do you mean only alts or do you mean your main avatar also (or only)?

Even if this question is explained maybe it would be better to include a list of reasons and have respondents check all that apply.  Have one reason listed as "other" for those reasons you didn't think of.  Then you would have some sort of quantitative data to go along with anecdotal comments.

Studio09 wrote:

What do you mean by the "second self"?

She's obviously doing research following up Sherry Turkel's now antiquated (first published in 1984, when there wasn't an internet!) treatise on human-computer interaction, generated principally as a result of her hanging out and eating pizza with geeks in MIT.

The book's title "The Second Self" was almost certainly the inspiration for naming Second Life, although Philip Rosedale would probably deny it as he might have to pay royalties.

**********Rudi**********

Cooperation is mandatory. I'm not sure if we have any uncivil rights. I've never liked the word behave because it reminds me of the word beehive. It's kind of like Reba, but that is a much longer story.

A person needs to create an online identity to prepare for the consciousness energy transition, better know as the Shift. Vibrations from frequencies in the solar plexus will begin to rise, breaking electro-chemical bonds which have held man in mineral servitude for the past... 400,000 years.

When multidimensionalism is achieved humans will exist as spectral auras.

I'm just guessing. We're supposed to be evolving. What will we be when we are done?

Edit: who loves typos

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

What new identity?  I am the same person on line as off line.

Ditto! .... Well except I may have shaved 25 years off my corresponding avatar/human age relationship! And my avatar's perceived weight is closer to when I was in my 20's. Yeah - That's my story and I'm sticking to it :P

I don't have a need to have a online indentity.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the users here don't initially think, "Oh boy! Time to be a completely different person and have this as an outlet."However, since I don't know every single user, that's my opinion.

From the get-go I didn't come to act completely different from myself IRL, it's actually one of the things I try to avoid most of all when using SL because I feel like I'm lying to myself. From time to time I do catch myself being a bit different from my RL self but it's not from much.

I would say If I had to choose an example it would be that I'm more prone to start a conversation and may be a bit more talkative than IRL. I guess it's natural with SL being a social platform and all but, you have this advantage of thinking before you reply so when you do get into a conversation, that pressure is mostly gone and your words are more fluent.

Anyways, my purpose for using SL, and still, is to explore, chat, create and discover. It's one of the few communities where I feel it's like a melting pot with a variety of age groups, personalties that may or may not change yours as well.

emmadavies1 wrote:

Hey,

When I joined Second Life, we had to pick from a list of possible last names.  I did try to pair my RL first name with various SL last names, and each time got the message that the name was already taken.  So, I created a name.

What I haven't done, is create a new online "identity", as this identity is the same as my "real life" one.   With the exception being that in SL, I can fly!  Also, in SL I can create amazing things and connect with people from around the world.  For me, that's the lure here, not new "identities".

emmadavies1 wrote:

Hey,

I've no idea if you are an anthropologist or not - probably not - but whatever you are you're hopeless at conducting research. Your question assumes that people have "a need" to create a new online identity, and that assumption is plain wrong.

End of any valid research here.

Incidentally, anyone who really is doing the research you claim you;'re doin g would ask the question along the lines the following:- If you felt the need to create a new onlline identity, why did you feel that need?

The OP question should read as.

Why do I feel a need to perpetrate a false image of my self instead of accepting who I am.

Answer: The beliefs you have about yourself often appear to be statements of fact, although actually they're really only opinions. They are based on the experiences you've had in life, and the messages that these experiences have given you about the kind of person you are. If your experiences have been negative, your beliefs about yourself are likely to be negative too.

There was an internet in 1984 although there weren't yet any publicly available browsers. The TCP/IP protocol (pardon the redundancy) was accepted in 1982. From then on it was a go.

Using a now antiquated book written in 1984 as a source is almost (but not quite) as silly as making comments about people using their 'lizard brains' based on Paul MacLean's theories from the sixties made popular by Sagan's book in '77. Current (as in, since the 1960's) research has found that  the so-called R complex (R for Reptilian=lizard brain for certain truth-benders) turns out to have nothing at all exclusively to do with reptiles but is a part of the brains of amphibians, fish, mammals and any other species with a backbone. It's now believed that the 'R' complex arrived with the first vertabrates, hundreds of millions of years before the first reptiles.

I've mentioned this before—even if we allow ourselves to overlook the march of science and go back to 1977 and say, "This far and no further! We have the answer!"—neither Paul MacLean nor Sagan ever even suggested that there was any gender connection to using the R complex.

That means that someone who consistently accuses females of behavior driven by impulses from their 'lizard brain' is not only referencing a disproved theory but adding a layer to that theory that was never suggested by the actual scientists whose theory it was.

Dillon Levenque wrote: the first vertabrates

That's the problem, when you're pretending to be ******* female you have to pretend to use your ******* reptile brain to spell badly.

Actually, everybody knows that women aren't ******* uber-hysterical (check out the etymology of hysterical, too; it's hysterical) because their ******* brains are wired differently. It's because their ******* grey matter is moved around inside their ******* craniums by the tidal action of the moon.

[it's good to see that not only females, but also males attempting to emulate females suffer from a severe dual lack of sense of humour and proportion. My allusions to reptiles generally channel David Icke's conspiracy fantasies. Also, the Internet did not exist in 1984; I have read the book.]

**********Rudi**********

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.