Thank you Linden Labs for creating Second Life: It saved my first life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been meaning to write this. I have been through many trials in SL, and now I have finally pulled away from the screen after a year of nonstop being in SL to tell everyone that I used to be in a cult. I will keep this short and not get into the bloody details but the cult was destroying my life and Second Life saved me. So many people are brainwashed by a cultlike religions

and I for one am a survivor, and thanks to SL. I have been hurt a lot since I have been in SL by people and I wish I spent more time doing other things but I am glad to have my freedom of mind back. I have to tell you now that I realize it, how SL saved me. But it is difficult for me to understand. I dont know how it deprogrammed me it just has that power. SL gives people the ability to express themselves and their creativity. If you take the time to get through the basics it can unlock the mind and you can apply it to so many varieties of skills. I have never been able to do that, thank you SL.

I got news for you buddy

cult (k**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gif" border="0" align="absbottom" />lt)

n.
a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

Someone seems to object to your choice of word, but it sounds like Second Life saved you from something negative that was going on in your life (whatever we choose to call it) and helped you find positives in your life.

It's is strange how it can have that sort of power, the things that happen because of Second Life have certainly surprised me.

eyeye Afterthought wrote:

I got news for you buddy

cult
(k**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gif" border="0" align="absbottom" />lt)
n.
a.
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b.
The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

so you are basically saying a virtual world is a cult? Oo

Seriously? hehehe

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

At least it's better (more logical) than calling it a game ^^.

ya true.. but it is a place more than it is a thing..with many things in it..

just not seeing where it fits the definition of a cult..

it's not like we can say..i did some second life lastnight..that just sounds strange..

where we can say..i did this in second life lastnight then went and did some of this over there..

where a cult could exist inside second life..

we come to this place to get to things inside..

Blimey, Eyeye, you do have a tendency to startle me sometimes.

As long as the OP/everyone has some kind of real/second life balance then all is ok. It can't be a cult though, can it?  Not unless we all worship our Great Leader, Mr Rosedale (!) :matte-motes-agape:

Obsession/hobby/cult - delete where applicable I guess?!

As posted by Afterthought:

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

It appears that all religions are, or can be thought of, as a cult, if you follow this definition that was posted. I think I agree. But then, that is my opinion.

And Bobtron, good to have you back to the real world.

Follow the FSM, you can't go wrong.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I got news for you buddy

cult
(k**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gif" border="0" align="absbottom" />lt)
n.
a.
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Seriously? hehehe

Kinda sounds like it, yeah, or an emotional crutch maybe. Like swapping ciggies for mints.

What would happen to the OP if Second Life wasn't here tomorrow? Maybe the OP will come back and answer this heh heh

Edited to add:

I always half expect the cleaners to accidentally unplug the main one when doing the vacuuming and cause SL to go belly-up.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I got news for you buddy

cult
n.
a.
b.

Seriously? hehehe

Kinda sounds like it, yeah, or an emotional crutch maybe. Like swapping ciggies for mints.

What would happen to the OP if Second Life wasn't here tomorrow? Maybe the OP will come back and answer this heh heh

Edited to add:

I always half expect the cleaners to accidentally unplug the main one when doing the vacuuming and cause SL to go belly-up.

i would say it would apply more to a thing like wow or the sims more than a place where there are more things to do than we can think of ..

about the only thing we all would have in common is the login screen to a virtual world..

and i don't know too many obsessed with hanging around that area chanting together lol

we all have a thing called an isp service as wellto the internet.. so i wonder..is the net a cult also? hehehe

because SL is pretty much considered a 3d mimic of the internet as well..

once inside it's  up in the air where any of us are off too..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I got news for you buddy

cult
n.
a.
b.

Seriously? hehehe

Edited to add:

i would say it would apply more to a thing like wow or the sims more than a place where there are more things to do than we can think of ..

about the only thing we all would have in common is the login screen to a virtual world..

and i don't know too many obsessed with hanging around that area chanting together lol

we all have a thing called an isp service as wellto the internet.. so i wonder..is the net a cult also? hehehe

For me at times I'd have admitted to Second Life - or rather, aspects of it - to be an obsession rather than a cult. I associate the word cult with those strange folk who live out beyond the woods and keep themselves to themselves. Or maybe I'm getting confused with polygamists. Tee hee

I don't think I've ever looked more closely at the definition of the word "cult" though before today.

The word suggests belonging to a group, and apart from that common log in process that we all have to go through to enter Second Life, I spend most of my inworld time happily alone, not really sticking to any plan I might have had.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I got news for you buddy

cult
n.
a.
b.

Seriously? hehehe

Edited to add:

For me at times I'd have admitted to Second Life - or rather, aspects of it - to be an obsession rather than a cult. I associate the word cult with those strange folk who live out beyond the woods and keep themselves to themselves. Or maybe I'm getting confused with polygamists. Tee hee

I don't think I've ever looked more closely at the definition of the word "cult" though before today.

The word suggests belonging to a group, and apart from that common log in process that we all have to go through to enter Second Life, I spend most of my inworld time happily alone, not really sticking to any plan I might have had.

i see it as people into the same thing.. like with that one old old band..

oh bleh what was their name...............bleh trying to remember as i am posting...........oh!! Grateful dead!!

they had like a cult following sort of thing from what i heard..

i don't think a cult is something where you show up in one place and then go off and do your own thing..

i thought it was like a group that was all  into the same thing..

You sure you haven't just swapped one cult for another? SL feels like a cult sometimes, especially given how this forum is moderated: For example, if a tragic event occurs in RL and those involved happened to be SL users don't expect to see that thread last long here.

That, and the sickeningly sugar-coated and often exaggerated performance reports dished out by Rosedale.

It's good to hear that you've discovered another way, and that SL helped.

My experiences in Second Life, have positively influenced my opinions on a number of topics.

I've met all kinds of people, each was unique.

I prefer to just be free, as freedom is an abbreviation.

Is appreciative the same thing as thankful? "hey LL, thanks for not coveting knowledge". 

Bobtron Brunswick wrote:

I have been meaning to write this. I have been through many trials in SL, and now I have finally pulled away from the screen after a year of nonstop being in SL to tell everyone that I used to be in a cult. I will keep this short and not get into the bloody details but the cult was destroying my life and Second Life saved me. So many people are brainwashed by a cultlike religions

and I for one am a survivor, and thanks to SL. I have been hurt a lot since I have been in SL by people and I wish I spent more time doing other things but I am glad to have my freedom of mind back. I have to tell you now that I realize it, how SL saved me. But it is difficult for me to understand. I dont know how it deprogrammed me it just has that power. SL gives people the ability to express themselves and their creativity. If you take the time to get through the basics it can unlock the mind and you can apply it to so many varieties of skills. I have never been able to do that, thank you SL.

I'm confused. You say you "have been through many trials in SL"  and "have been hurt a lot since I have been in SL by people"  but that "Second Life saved me". So, people being jerks in SL pulled you out of a cult in RL?

Reminds me of this...

"The night time is the right time."

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

At least it's better (more logical) than calling it a game ^^.

Second Life is a Cult Game.

Or maybe just a game about cults.

Ok i guess it's time to come out with the honest truth of what it really is..

It's a gambling house that corrupts children and doesn't have any signs in it for spanish speaking people which is half the language of the world and smells to coffee!!

There i said it!.........Wow do i feel a weight lifted off of me now! Whew...

Now i can go take down that sign on the side of my business i've been dying to take down all these years!

:matte-motes-evil-invert:

5563806053_0c75c5e9b6_b.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.