"I'm just too pretty for my own good!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why is it so many forum females seemingly feel the need to boast about  / complain about / boastfully complain about how they keep "getting hit on" becos their avatar is just too damned attractive? 

FGS, it's SL, it happens to EVERYONE.  Get over it!   *rolls eyes*

Why'd you think there's such a thriving skin/shape/fashion industry? Could it be 'cos we're ALL enabled to look precisely as hot -- or not -- as we choose to be?

Seriously, you deserve no kudos.   I mean, you could be wearing one of those ghastly 'shy caramelle' skins and you'd still get hit on, guaranteed.   My best pal runs around in the guise of a giant mesh rabbit and even SHE gets dry-humped by total strangers.  :smileysurprised:

I repeat:  It's SL; it goes with the territory! 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a multiplayer environment and since there are no NPC's around human to human interaction is a big part of SL. Do you think maybe people are too quick to assume they are being hit on? If the person is still around one week after the first hello, you may start to think they carry an interest. But how often any interaction lasts a week in SL? 

i can't say i notice it enough to bother me..maybe i'm not reading those threads or something..

it could also be that i'm getting hit on so much that i can't think straight :P

seriously  i don't notice  it really..

and if i'm doing it  it's more likely just goofing around..

Yep-yep.  That's the one.  But these silly threads do pop up every so often (recalling the old forums, too).  And it's not just me, you can see it gets people's hackles up. 

FGS, i love my avie as an extension of me, but i'm not gonna be vain about her -- she's only good-looking 'cos i MADE her so using stuff i BOUGHT from far more accomplished people than me. 

Being hit on is one of the LESS exciting things that could happen to me here and it doesn't make me speshul, it makes me dead ordinary!

Ok, i'm done (maybe).

Not that I don't think you have a point but, just for the sake of argument... I guess sometimes it really is too much, even in the land of excess-by-default.

I mean, I go around seeing hundreds of pretty darn hot avatars every day, and I honestly do not feel the need to IM them and say so, much less try and take it any further; maybe because you're right and beauty is just par for the course in SL, or maybe because I feel it's a bit of an inane thing to do and not conducive to any meaningful conversation... fact is, I don't, I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near the only one, and so in the end there is a bit of an expectation by some people that every now and then they'll find someone able to look beyond the virtual beauty and engage them in something deeper and more interesting than 'hi, you're hot'.

My point is... I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting a bit more from at least a small part of the SL population, and regretting that that part isn't any bigger. Yes, it still comes with the territory... and yes, more than a few just pretend to be annoyed by it because it sounds higher-minded than showing all-out flattered.

But still one can wish there were a few more actual brains behind the avatars :smileywink:

Azanor wrote:

This is a multiplayer environment and since there are no NPC's around human to human interaction is a big part of SL. Do you think maybe people are too quick to assume they are being hit on? If the person is still around one week after the first hello, you may start to think they carry an interest. But how often any interaction lasts a week in SL? 

^^ That.

I guess one can assume too quickly that a, perhaps somewhat clumsy, first attempt to a chat means being 'hit on'.  And of course it happens to all of us, although I have to admit that I have a more than gorgeous, hawt, avatar  *coff coff*  I am not that often being 'hit on'. Darn, I must be doing it wrong?!

I do get nice IM's and the occasional compliment, but I don't mind. Hey, I spend a lot of time and effort  - and linden dollars - on my avatar, so if I would be ignored..I would be pissed off!

Jokes aside, I find it hilarious when people complain about 'being hit on', they may miss opportunities to real nice chats and meeting people. New residents often come inworld with the perception SL is one big dating place, once they grow up and have explored, they will see it can be that, but also way more.

And of course, I suppose it depends on what sims you hangout....?

These are the same people who invariably have the words (or similar) in their profiles:  DRAMA FREE ZONE!  or F***K OFF!  or NOT INTERESTED!  These words are honey to the bees and are likely to produce the effect they (claim they) want to avoid.

the secret to not getting hit on in sl is very simple!! hit back harder..word of mouth gets around fast..

learn to throw stuff from a distance and in all directions..kind of like an angry silverback!!

you too can be a hermit like the Cekanator

perfect-timing-pic-191.jpg

Ceka Cianci wrote:

wasn't there a thread in the old RA forums where someone came in and wanted everyone to rate how hot she was?

something like that..

omg i remember her getting the hardest time from that..

the forum had fun with it..

hehehe

Maybe she missed the old avatar rating system we used to have until Linden Lab ended it in April 2007. One of the ratings was for appearance. Hard to believe we actually had to pay LL 10L to rate another avatar!

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

wasn't there a thread in the old RA forums where someone came in and wanted everyone to rate how hot she was?

something like that..

hehehe

Maybe she missed the old avatar rating system we used to have until Linden Lab ended it in April 2007. One of the ratings was for appearance. Hard to believe we actually had to pay LL 10L to rate another avatar!

ya it was after rating from the profile was gone..

i really miss those forums hehehe

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Why is it so many forum females seemingly feel the need to boast about  / complain about / boastfully complain about how they keep "getting hit on" becos their avatar is just too damned attractive? 

FGS, it's SL, it happens to EVERYONE.  Get over it!   *rolls eyes*

Why'd you think there's such a thriving skin/shape/fashion industry? Could it be 'cos we're ALL enabled to look precisely as hot -- or not -- as we choose to be?

Seriously, you deserve no kudos.   I mean, you could be wearing one of those ghastly 'shy caramelle' skins and you'd
still
get hit on, guaranteed.   My best pal runs around in the guise of a giant mesh rabbit and even SHE gets dry-humped by total strangers.  :smileysurprised:

I repeat:  It's SL; it goes with the territory! 

RL insecurity. Trying to be someone they are not for reasons that "may" be unhealthy, not RP'ing or using sl as an outlet and escape from rl for fun. I know too many people in sl that while not rp'ing or being in a fantasy world, they are projecting themselves as someone different and let people thimnk they are someone they are not. It's trickery and they are not doing it to protect rl identity. They are just simply unhappy with themselves. There is no problem with wanting to be someone else here in sl but when you do it to decieve yourself or someone else it's sad.

Of course whether we are content with our rl selves we still want to look good in sl whether we are RP'ing or use sl as an extension of ourself.

eta @ Caitlin I think people mistake being hit on many times. People have a sense of humor and that can go a long way that doesn't mean they are serious, could be an ice breaker to start a conversation. When people complain about being hit on seems to be some affirmation they need.

Ren Toxx wrote:

Not that I don't think you have a point but, just for the sake of argument... I guess sometimes it 
really
is too much, even in the land of excess-by-default.

I mean, I go around seeing hundreds of pretty darn hot avatars every day, and I honestly do
not
 feel the need to IM them and say so, much less try and take it any further; maybe because you're right and beauty is just par for the course in SL, or maybe because I feel it's a bit of an inane thing to do and not conducive to any meaningful conversation... fact is, I don't, I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near the only one, and so in the end there 
is
a bit of an expectation by some people that every now and then they'll find someone able to look beyond the virtual beauty and engage them in something deeper and more interesting than 
'hi, you're hot'

My point is... I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting a bit more from at least a small part of the SL population, and regretting that that part isn't any bigger. Yes, it still comes with the territory... and yes, more than a few just 
pretend
to be annoyed by it because it sounds higher-minded than showing all-out flattered.

But still one can wish there were a few more actual brains behind the avatars :smileywink:

Need more people like you in sl male and female :)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

something like that..

hehehe

haha I remeber my cousin on some rl "Hot or Not" website where people voted how hot you were! I thought tht had to be one of the lamest things I have seen on the internet at the time.

squashy Beeswing wrote:

I can't help it... it can get rather annoying being this gorgeous...

Smexy_Me.jpg

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

...Dres

It is about being hit ON, Dres....not being hit!

Poor you, who did that to you and do I need to hit them?

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

...Dres

Hey! you leave my mommy alone! cool-unhappy-071.gif

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

...Dres

Hey! you leave my mommy alone!
cool-unhappy-071.gif

...Dres

kisss.jpg

squashy Beeswing wrote:

I don't see any such boasting in the forum, but I do stick to this General Discussion one.

Also, I see very few avatars that I would consider "too damned attractive". I often look at female faces and, once in a while, I see a very attractive one, but the rest aren't. Not in my eyes, anyway. I'm not talking about the people at the keyboard or the nature of the person transmitted through the avatars. I'm only talking about visual attractiveness.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

something like that..

hehehe

I don't remember that thread but I do remember one of the guys rating the hotness of girls, and they displayed their rating in their sig lines :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.