What Size Computer Monitor Do You Use?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know we all hate surveys!  ;)

But here it is.

A common complaint with the Official Viewer is the inability to resize many of the little apps like the camera tool, etc.  They needlessly block the view of too much of the SL World, which is at least for me is the reason for being in SL.  I dislike passionately anything that blocks my view of the world.

This issue came up for me again while test driving CHUI.  There are things that needlessly take up screen space.  And the smaller your monitor, the more important it becomes. 

I made the comment in one of the CHUI Jira's that sometimes I think the Devs need to watch over the shoulders of Residents to really see how we use the Viewer in our day by day SL'ing.  Not everyone has a 36 Inch monitor with so much screen space that all the little windows and apps don't really impact your view of the world.  But we get the impression that the Devs think we do so they ignore the need for things to be resizable.

So I thought it might be nice to get an idea of the percentage of screen sizes people use.

I know there is also the issue of resolution but for the purpose of this survey I am just focusing on overall screen size. 

ETA, I could have set the survey up for multiple choices.  I was thinking more in terms of what you Primarily use for SL.

Thanks for your responses.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P8FSYX9

it should be more a question of what resolution do you use.

i could be using a mini netbook screen at 1920x1200 or a huge wall screen at 640x480 and that would make a difference of how much space the viewer use, also the factor of the size if the UI that people chooses will affect how much space the viewer use.

ill give all my data for the benefits of the results. i use the viewer UI at size .85, i have two monitors, one is a LCD 19 inch with a 1280x1024 resolution, the other is a CRT 18 inch using a 1024x808 resolution.

hope that helps.

yes, i will post results in a couple of days.

And to sort of reiterate, I do understand that screen resolution is a factor.  However my main point here is that we dont have unlimited real estate to deal with everything on our screens, hence the need to be able to resize whenever possible.  Also, some folks with larger monitors may like the ability to make things larger.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Yes indeed someone did have to say it lol

/me laughs at the fact that tex said what she thought.

And, in retrospect, it would have sounded better coming from you.....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I am currently using a 17" LCD monitor with 1440 x 900 resolution.  Up until a few years ago I was still using a 15" CRT and every pixel of space was valuable to see SL.  Having a smaller viewing space is what prompted me to begin using the Nicholaz viewer in 2007 shortly after I began SL.  LL had revised the official viewer and, in the process, the detachable IM windows could not be resized as small as in previous versions.  Nicholaz kept the resizing option in his viewer.

I run 2 22"  side by side monitors. because my brain wont leave me alone and i am always multi tasking. I would have 4 monitors if i could afford it. but in truth my system will only allow 3 i think...buggar. I need 1 for Sl, 1 for skype with my girlfriend. 1 for blender. one for DAZ studio, 1 for sending an emails, and and another for surfing the web researching other ideas i keep having.....sighs, somtimes i hate it, and other times I fascinate myself...lol

Canoro Philipp wrote:

it should be more a question of what resolution do you use.

i could be using a mini netbook screen at 1920x1200 or a huge wall screen at 640x480 and that would make a difference of how much space the viewer use, also the factor of the size if the UI that people chooses will affect how much space the viewer use.

ill give all my data for the benefits of the results. i use the viewer UI at size .85, i have two monitors, one is a LCD 19 inch with a 1280x1024 resolution, the other is a CRT 18 inch using a 1024x808 resolution.

hope that helps.

I agree on the size vs. resolution question. I used to use a 30" TV as a monitor, but it only ran at 1280x768.The 22" monitor I use now feels much bigger because it has twice the pixels. Even running on a 7" tablet is as clear as the old big screen, despite being about 1/20th the physical area.

I checked 27" but that only tells part of the story. My main 27" iMac (2560x1440) uses my old 27" iMac (2560x 1440) as a monitor on the left unless I'm also using that iMac for SL. I also have a 28" (1920x1200) display to the right.

I'll also agree that pixels are more important than inches. I'd love to have a single 8Kx4K 32" monitor.

But even with all my screen real estate, I truly dislike both the large size of the SL UI elements and the inability to drag them out of the app window. When running other apps, I often drag lesser used control windows out to the side monitors. SL is one of the few apps I use which is confined to a single window.

ETA: I just did a quick check of applications I use often. SL is the ONLY one that is confined to a single window.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Deja Letov wrote:

This should be interesting. Are you going to post results on the forum? I'm using. 24". Actually two of them side by side.

Show off!!!  :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

hahha you should see my work setup Czari,it's even better at home with 3 floating HD screens...It's like the matrix looking at my monitors all lined up. I keep teling them they should buy me the same setup for home use so that when I do work from home I see things exactly the same. That's important right? LOL

*Ill also add that these 22" monitors are displaying at 1920X1080.

2 22"-LG-Monitors side by side here.

However, it would be great, if the viewer is changed from a SDI-Model with emulated dialogues to a true MDI-Model, allowing to drag the Dialogues and toolbars out of the main viewer window onto a second screen, leaving one screen for the inworld view and the second one for the rest.

Up until very recently I was using dual 22". However a man in the pub recently sold me a brand new 36" for £45 and he assured me that it was all perfectly legal and above board, and I for one and not willing to question the integrity of a random stranger in a pub...that's against pub code.

So now I have a 22" screen on the desk slightly to the right, and a stupid big LCD on the wall behind it slightly to the left. It hurts my eyes after an hour because I am too close, but for me to sit an acceptable distance away from it would involve moving my desk into the hallway which is not terribly practical. It took me 4 hours to get the bloody thing on the wall and it is now covering up the holes from my first 3 attempts,  so I am not keen on taking it down, plus it looks bad ass.

So, in answer to your original question I generally just use one 22" at the moment. :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.