Let's talk about this LL Valentine's Day gift......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I didn't get the $10L, because I couldn't log in. If you're unhappy with your $10L I'm more than happy to give it a home. It will be loved and cherished beyond measure, I promise.

I don't think a gesture of any sort ought to be looked at with such disdain. Not when it's a gift just randomly given. This isn't an "I'm sorry we flubed something up again" payment. It was something random, something unexpected, and something welcome by most that I can see in-world. Those who got it of course. I see a lot more disdain on the forums than I do in-world. That's probably a good thing. My poor sap of a heart can't take such ungrateful attitudes all the time. I'm too much of a softy sometimes.

When my son was 15 he came into a large sum of money. He showered his friends with gifts galore. He got himself all kinds of new things he wanted for once, not needed. He had plenty leftover even after placing a lot into savings. I came inside after doing yardwork to find a $1 pack of spoons on the counter. With them sat a note "here ya go" signed my son. Hmmm. All the things he bought, all the money he had, and the only thing he gave me was a pack of spoons. I could have been mad. I could have said "what about me". I could have been disappointed at the measily $1 he spent on me. I was none of the above. I chuckled, removing the paper wrapper from the $1 pack of spoons, washing them and placing them in the drawer. He remembered my complaints about not having enough spoons. He listened to me constantly, and sometimes angrily voice the fact that our spoons seemingly disappeared on a regular basis. Now there are a lot of things I could have used more than spoons, lots. But I was happy with my spoons. Not because it was all he could afford, surely he could afford more. Not because it was a gift from the heart, because even he will tell you it wasn't a gift from the heart at all. It was something he grabbed on a whime while getting cat litter at a local Family Dollar. He got me something I needed, even if I didn't want it.

So if I had gotten that $10l, I would look at it as something I needed. Perhaps even if I didn't think I needed it. If I really didn't want it, there would be nothing preventing me from sending it off to someone who did. I just don't see much point in looking at everything so sideways and backwards. Why does everything always have to come down to "but you could have done more", "I deserve more", "you owe me" and such? Can't a gesture ever be just a kind gesture without all that baggage?

eta: and yes I did check, no $10L, perhaps it's still on it's way to me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ImaTest wrote:

If you're unhappy with your $10L I'm more than happy to give it a home. It will be loved and cherished beyond measure, I promise.

I see a lot more disdain on the forums than I do in-world.

Why does everything always have to come down to "but you could have done
more
", "I deserve
more
", "you 
owe
me" and such? Can't a gesture ever be just a kind gesture without all that baggage?

"You paid ImaTest L$10."

10linden.png

Given with the same disdain I received it with. You owe me nothing. I owe LL nothing.

You can shut up now.

Remember your promise.

TDD123 wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

If you're unhappy with your $10L I'm more than happy to give it a home. It will be loved and cherished beyond measure, I promise.

more
", "I deserve
more
", "you 
owe
me" and such? Can't a gesture ever be just a kind gesture without all that baggage?

"You paid ImaTest L$10."

10linden.png

Given with the same disdain I received it with. You owe me nothing. I owe LL nothing.

You can shut up now.

Remember your promise.

re: your signature. If you are an example of a robot, that quote from 'I, Robot' is wrong. I can easily differentiate between you and an even slightly above average human, let alone the very best of them.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

re: your signature. If you are an example of a robot, that quote from 'I, Robot' is wrong. I can easily differentiate between you and an even slightly above average human, let alone the very best of them.

"Only human." - Agent Jones : The Matrix   :robotindifferent:

Porky Gorky wrote:

I think this is a good gift. It may not be allot of money but I expected some novelty crap that would be useless. This is not useless and I am sure allot of new users who are playing for free will appreciate it. A positive step in new user retention I think.

I can only guess at what the new users who did not get the gift will feel.  It should have been across the board at least.

Jenny Siddeley wrote:

They didn't muster up L$10, they mustered up L$10 per avatar.

Not exactly the same thing. There are millions of avatars.

For merchants it's nothing but for many people it was a good thing.

Personally I'm just glad we didn't get yet another rose.
:)

They did not give it to millions, only those who logged in yesterday before 7:30 SLT were eligible (and it was not millions), and not all of them recieved it as far as I can tell. 

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Jenny Siddeley wrote:

They didn't muster up L$10, they mustered up L$10 per avatar.

Not exactly the same thing. There are millions of avatars.

For merchants it's nothing but for many people it was a good thing.

Personally I'm just glad we didn't get yet another rose.

They did not give it to millions, only those who logged in yesterday before 7:30 SLT were eligible (and it was not millions), and not all of them recieved it as far as I can tell. 

Several of my alts that I had not gotten around to logging into by 7:30 last night still got the gift.  A couple I hadn't logged into for a longer period of time did not get the gift.  So I think the Lindens extended the eligibility sign in period to cover for network problems I've seen in other threads, yet did not give it to everyone

While on the scale of the SL economy $L10 can go a lot farther than a nickel, it does seem a bit parsimonious--not because I don't appreciate it, but because they made such a big deal of it, with the e-mail, the blog post, etc. Building up an expectation like that, with the requirement that recipients log in within a certain period, makes it more obviously a ploy to boost login stats than any real gesture of appreciation.

That's my two cents anyway--or five lindens, if you prefer.

Seriously?  What did you expect?  All of you that felt insulted or complained, I challenge you.  What would you have given out that everyone would have liked and that was affordable to give to a huge number of people?  The restraints are: It can't be something that has to be rezzed in world to use since not everyone has land..  It has to be unisex.  It has to appeal to all the various communities of SL and to all ages. It has to be affordable enough to give it to, lets say, 150K people.

Everyone can use L's.  It may not be much, but I didn't expect much, and personally I'd rather have L's than some useless trinket.

TDD123 wrote:

ImaTest wrote:

more
", "I deserve
more
", "you 
owe

"You paid ImaTest L$10."

10linden.png

You can shut up now.

Remember your promise.

Well thank you sir. I will cherish it always, as promised.

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

It's a pity I stopped using bots or they would have it as well.

Now the thousands of bots which were online are congratulating each other for this free income.

Possibly they will arrange a bot party to celebrate their good luck?

:smileyvery-happy:

I wonder if they'll have to audition before being allowed to go to the party ;)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

It's a pity I stopped using bots or they would have it as well.

Now the thousands of bots which were online are congratulating each other for this free income.

Possibly they will arrange a bot party to celebrate their good luck?

:smileyvery-happy:

I wonder if they'll have to audition before being allowed to go to the party
;)

lmao :smileyvery-happy:

I was about to ask the same ....

Well sorry for the bots, we cant organize their audition bec we are already busy organizing yours...

Be patient, Phil... The D Day will come... it just need time for everything is ok... but be sure.... it will happen :smileywink:

I really laughed when I found out the "gift" was 10L. The right to upload ONE texture. Oh and don't forget to mention we should shop on marketplace with this 10L. Yes definitely mix in some marketing and subliminal message of purchasing more L in your valentine "gift". Linden Labs you have really outdone yourself this time with your GENEROSITY. But I really would have preferred a package of sculpted linden noobs instead... that would be way more useful. Or some badly made novelty item... that would at least show the LL actually spent one minute or more working on something for the residents.

What's funny is I didn't even receive it. I logged on like an hour before 7:30 PT. Not like I care about 10L but it just shows that LL doesn't even wanna hand out a measly 10L to everyone like they said they would. They gotta be selective about it. Maybe 9/10 people will get it. That's a 10% savings in "costs"! Then it will eventually hit them that it doesn't cost them anything to create 10L out of thin air.

Now about the bots. How many SL instances can a super powerful computer open at once? I'd say no more than 10? Ok so you have 10 computers at home (I don't see how that's possible but whatever), So that's 990L (10L for the actual avatar you use) that you've exploited. Congratulations. You've wasted about $10 of electricity, about 10 minutes time transferring the L over, for 1000L, which is roughly $4.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I wonder how many people logged in all their alts to get lots of 10Ls

I assume I got it because I was logged in but I'm not going to check, and I do know my main alt got it. It's a pity I stopped using bots or they would have it as well.

LOL Yea, I made a comment in group chat yesterday that if somone was running 100 bots it would be a nice little bit of change.

I just  find it odd how they picked and chosed who gets it? . My alt logs in more than I do because he runs a service. I logged in and out several times and he didnt. I think Only twice lol. I am a Premium member and my alt is not. So it is safe to say that not even all premium members got it lol. Nothing special to it :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.