Security Orb Eject Problems

katya Qork

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

sorry

no/lo

no warning - lo warning. no chance - lo chance

+

just add.

a lo warning system is not always about the actual time. like 10 or whatever seconds or less. is about the time needed by the person who is being warned to extricate themselves

like if you a sailboat on a linden water sim and cross onto a parcel then usual need about 60 seconds to turn your boat and exit. anything less timewise in this case then is a no/lo chance of doing it 

but if you on a simboard say like mine that can move at 30 meters a second full blast. I am gone/over/thru your parcel before the evictor script even knows about it. so even a 0 time evicter script isnt going to affect me much at all

Qie Niangao wrote:

Mostly 

That's a modest improvement for fixed-sensor scripts (things that don't try to "secure" beyond a 96m radius of the device itself).

It's a
massive
win compared to rezzing multiple moving sensor probes.

Cheers Qie. The one I sell is fixed-sensor so, if it's only a modest improvement on script time, it doesn't seem worth it, but I could make use of it to do away the 96m limit. It would also do away with the workaround that's needed to prevent the SL system from thinking that in-range avs on an adjoining sim are actually on the parcel - if that flaw still exists, that is.

Yeah, for smaller parcels that can be covered by a single sensor, it's probably not a massive win, assuming that handling the nearest 16 agents is good enough--and who has that many enemies online at the same time? 

There have been some very odd glitches in sensors that span a sim border, such that reports may come from across the wrong sim border. That can be pretty mystifying, the first time it's encountered. But for a security system, it hardly matters, since they pretty much always use llOverMyLand() to stay within ToS.

Orb update. All the comments regarding privacy versus freedom of movement in this thread had me looking at my orb and had at least one other person looking at the orb product he had for sale. As it happens he sent me one to try out and (I believe because of all of your comments) he made some revisions to his existing product. I really don't want to fly in the face of the NO ADVERTISING rules so I will name no names.

I think I have as traveler friendly an arrangement as I can, short of zero security. The secured range is owner editable in one meter increments. It gives three announcements (each of which the owner can edit) before acting. The interval between announcements is also owner editable. The result of failing to respond by the intruder is also owner editable—eject from parcel or send Home. As it is now set up, mine has three messages, the first two of which define the area secured and advise how to get out of same. The interval is fifteen seconds, meaning there will be somwhere between 45 and 60 seconds before someone is detected by the scanner and the time that someone will be ejected. My orb's range is a 2 meter sphere (the old one's minimum was 8 meters: this works much better) but there's no reason that same arrangement wouldn't work quite well for people who feel the need to orb secure land and or water and air. They could just increase the scan interval to allow travelers time to extricate themselves gracefully.

I'd put a review on the SLMarketplace store but there doesn't seem to be one.

Qie Niangao wrote:

There have been some very odd glitches in sensors that span a sim border, such that reports may come from across the
wrong
sim border. That can be pretty mystifying, the first time it's encountered. But for a security system, it hardly matters, since they pretty much always use llOverMyLand() to stay within ToS.

There is or was a flaw so that llOverMyLand() didn't stop people who were in the next sim, but in range, from being sent the 'leave or be removed' message, and a workaround is or was needed. I discovered it when a customer IMed to tell me that people on the adjacent sim were receiving the messages, even though the device didn't (couldn't) remove them from the parcel they were on. The customer's parcel was on the sim border.

It shouldn't have happened at all and I was so mystified by it that I had to ask about it in the Scripting forum. It turned out to be a known flaw and someone suggested a workaround that worked. I've no idea whether or not the flaw still exists.

Getting all avs in the sim and checking distances, rather than getting all avs in range, will avoid that flaw - and allow for >96m ranges, of course.

There is or was a flaw so that llOverMyLand() didn't stop people who were in the next sim, but in range, from being sent the 'leave or be removed' message, in range, will avoid that flaw - and allow for >96m ranges, of course.

Oh, sure enough; I never encountered that one. Appears to have been fixed a couple years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to pop in and agree here.  SWA security systems are pretty tight.  The menus are very easy to use, and the options are not overboard.  Plus, the logging is nice.

I dunno... just my two cents.

• 11 years later...
On 7/20/2012 at 9:29 AM, Orca Flotta said:

And again the most important question should be WHY???

Why does anyone want to spend money on protecting "their" land ... and from what? Orbs are focking annoying. If I wanted to be sent home I'd use the TP home, don't need no help with that, thankyouverymuch. You're not travelling/exploring SL very often, do ya? Else you'd know how badly those orbs are slayering mainland into a unusable patchwork.Just imagine you just spent 2 hours or more navigating your way from point A to point B when suddenly ... "GTFO of here, this land is MINEMINEMINE!!!"

Free roads for free citizens!!!

and 12 years later these orbs are still screwing us up.  Keep me out of your property if you want,  but dont send me friggin home!!  Jeeeez!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Winter Phoenix said:

and 12 years later these orbs are still screwing us up.  Keep me out of your property if you want,  but dont send me friggin home!!  Jeeeez!

Really? An 11 Year Necro just to complain that you got punted from somebody else's property, where you weren't welcome anyway.

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Winter Phoenix said:

Like a tiger's stripes or the waifu pillow owner's marital status, some things never change.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Somebody who's been in SL since 2004 should be able to resurrect a thread that's (only) twelve years old any damned time they please.

Isn't it better than starting a whole new thread? I think so.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:
4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Somebody who's been in SL since 2004 should be able to resurrect a thread that's (only) twelve years old any damned time they please.

Isn't it better than starting a whole new thread? I think so.

Plus, since the thread is "SL-Related" it fits in the Grandfather rules (AFAIK).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe a mindset change is needed.  People like to make games out of things, perhaps this too can be gamified:

Mission: Dodge as many orbs as possible, the more you dodge and faster your progress, the better your ranking.  Evade  your way to the furthest reaches of mainland until you win your way to the final destination, the fabled land of Bellisseria where the orbs are weak and you can fly your victory laps until your heart is full of contentment as the highest ranking participant.

Are you up to the challenge?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Maybe a mindset change is needed.  People like to make games out of things, perhaps this too can be gamified:

Mission: Dodge as many orbs as possible, the more you dodge and faster your progress, the better your ranking.  Evade  your way to the furthest reaches of mainland until you win your way to the final destination, the fabled land of Bellisseria where the orbs are weak and you can fly your victory laps until your heart is full of contentment as the highest ranking participant.

Are you up to the challenge?

Sounds a bit like Linden Realms.

• Like 1

Speaking of a mindset change, maybe it's leftover from holiday good cheer, but this morning I was seriously impressed by a ramble around the snowlands. Many of those regions used to be scarred by ridiculous hovering junk and criss-crossed by banlines and treacherous orbs, but at least the parts I visited today at ground level were completely free of orbs, had only a very few whitelist banlines, and were seriously beautiful. It snowed in RL here overnight so that might have added some magic, but really, those regions have never looked better.

I wonder if the absence of orbs is a result of more parcels having nicer surroundings, if the nicer builds arose when orbs fell out of favor, or if the two improvements are just naturally correlated. Anyway, it was the most pleasant time I've had on the Snowlands since I was a newbie experiencing Chalet Linden for the first time.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.