Tap! Tap! Is this thing on?

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, I know .. old question .. old answer. But my real question is, did anything massively interesting happen while I was gone? Or did the same problems get held over for season 2 while all the new shows are reruns of "I can't believe they didn't..."?

Well .. during my "hiatus" I noticed that my sales trickled off to almost nothing. Freebies .. they're selling as hot as ever. But anything that actually costs money has been stale to dead. I took some time to finish up a couple of products that have been sitting on my bench for a while (a line of windows for Builders and this nifty online/offline indicator you see in my signature), but I'm wondering if I'm just tossing good effort after bad.

Has anyone else noticed any trends in their sales? Trending up .. or down .. or ??

I'm sorry to hear about your sales, Darrius. Mine has been trending up these last few weeks. But I'm so silly, I never take holidays. Always creating new items and adding to my collection. My sales would certainly dwindle away too if I didn't keep working and updating my items. I take advantage of new trends, make my items as low prim as they can go, and listen to customers ideas then try to meet that demand. It works for me :)

Hey, good to see you about. I kind of wish they'd give us something to debate about, but they're giving us an empty glass rather than one we can argue is half full or half empty.

Update before last listed a handfull of the 200 bugs and nearly every one said they were "investigating" the issue. The last one they change *gasp* the sort order of something or other and want people to go beta test "performance". As if web developers aren't capable of pummeling their own sites with load tests like we've been doing since I don't know ... 1995 or so.

Sassy brought up a point about man hours. I started totalling that in my head. For months with only a couple bugs fixed, at their salary rate it comes to over a hundred sims of tier down the toilet a month to get nothing done.

Also they backed out of involvement with their own birthday celebration, stopped sponsoring SLCC and generally try to keep their new ventures Top Sekrit.

Pathfinding is still buggy but getting rolled out anyway.

More moves to decrease the amount of resources they offer, via land impact and their new Shining project, all in the name of optimizing. Because you know, sims that could handle this stuff 5 years ago (although heavy and laggy), the answer is to stop piping so much resources rather than provide more hardware and engineering to keep those resources flowing better than 5 years ago.

I remember a debate we had about script limits way back. Points to you for being right, now scripts are more evil and land impact calculations exist to obfuscate and show you just how evil you are with your massive 64k scripts laying waste to SL.

A new potential competitor world has popped up, which is something that might make them realize that their good enough isn't good enough, but I think they've already gotten the memo, thus the do-over with new products and new customers in the works.

In the time it's taking the marketplace to get to something resembling stable and worthy of ecommerce I've been learning both guitar and keyboards on the side, so it's not all bad.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Well .. during my "hiatus" I noticed that my sales trickled off to almost nothing. Freebies .. they're selling as hot as ever. But anything that actually costs money has been stale to dead. I took some time to finish up a couple of products that have been sitting on my bench for a while (a line of windows for Builders and this nifty online/offline indicator you see in my signature), but I'm wondering if I'm just tossing good effort after bad.

Has anyone else noticed any trends in their sales? Trending up .. or down .. or ??

Feel yoru pain Darrius.  Since early June my sales have dropped and for the most part stayed at about 50% of what it was.  My biggest indicator of dropped sales is how frequently I cashout $100US from SL.  Its generally about 7-10 days for a cycle.  If it takes more than 10 days then my sales are down.  Well Since early June I have only had 2 payouts.  Since the slowdown was about 40 days ago - I am maintaining a drop of 50%.

Mehhh - whatever!

Rya Nitely wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your sales, Darrius. Mine has been trending up these last few weeks. But I'm so silly, I never take holidays. Always creating new items and adding to my collection. My sales would certainly dwindle away too if I didn't keep working and updating my items. I take advantage of new trends, make my items as low prim as they can go, and listen to customers ideas then try to meet that demand. It works for me
:)

Unfortunately my "time off" was not something I planned nor had control over. I'm still "part-timing" it as I regain my footing. But meh .. the joys of being mortal. I did manage to spend some time finishing some new things (as I mentioned) and you are right, fresh = sales, stale = "been there, bought that, don't need another".

You hit a very pertinent point right on the head Dart .. that being the amount of salary spent to accomplish the amount of work. I can appreciate that big companies with enterprise-level product have to move a bit slower than a one-man programming shack, but I think they've redefined the concept of "deliberate caution". The telling point is that I've been gone .. what? A month? Two? And things seem to be almost exactly where they were when I left. It's disheartening to see how little has been done to debug and finish their product. Ah well, it's the pleasure I derive from the tools and toys that do work that keeps me here anyway, so as long as they don't cut more of my arms and legs off, I guess I can stay emotionally disconnected while they sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly get MP done.

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

I'm also taking a looong vacation from SL and not sure when they will force us to DD. Still using magic boxes cause don't want to lose even more sales for all those DD problems ^^'

I actually switched over to DD before dropping off the face of ... umm .. the virtual planet. I have to admit, I was surprised to read the posts about folks having non-delivery issues. (Or maybe since 95% of my sales have been for Freebies, the customers just figure "nothing lost so .. who cares?")

Didn't those end up not be "non-delivery" issues.  The items were being delivered but where not showing up until the users relogged.  The root issue being they where having some grid problems and unscheduled maintenance that has since gone away?

I know the Marketplace has issues and LL treatment of us as costumers here has "sucked" to put it mildly.  But the DD process itself (if you can get in, since some peoples merchant outbox won't work at all) does seem to work.

I have not had any delivery issues since switching to DD.  Of course, I didn't have that many when I was using magic boxes either, but I did have some.

Talia Davidov wrote:

Didn't those end up not be "non-delivery" issues.  The items were being delivered but where not showing up until the users relogged.  The root issue being they where having some grid problems and unscheduled maintenance that has since gone away?

I know the Marketplace has issues and LL treatment of us as costumers here has "sucked" to put it mildly.  But the DD process itself (if you can get in, since some peoples merchant outbox won't work at all) does seem to work.

I have not had any delivery issues since switching to DD.  Of course, I didn't have that many when I was using magic boxes either, but I did have some.

That's how I read it .. it was really a non-issue, just required a relog. And like you, I've not had any delivery issues reported with DD .. except when someone bought multiple items from multiple stores, and then it was "Partially Failed" .. no doubt because someone else had MB or DD issues.

Hey Darrius. I know I've got kind of a reputation on this forum as some sort of secret agent or something, but lately I've noticed that SLMP will not sell low cost items and high cost items at the same time. It is either one or the other.

I've been generally following a sales pattern of poor sales for a day, low cost items selling well, high cost items selling well, poor sales, repeat. IT seems to have really switched to this lately as the L$ earned on SLMP for me fluctuates very strongly, and it doesn't matter what day of the week it is. Sometimes Sat and Sun are awesome, and sometimes they're awful. Other times Tuesday is good. It makes no sense.

I think you would be in good shape if you made a high cost item above L$1000. Maybe throw your windows in a fat pack or make a big builder's kit.

When my sales were good (and other people I know were good too), I was selling everything at the same time, both low cost and high cost items. Now, it seems like it's one or the other. If you don't have both, you're going to have bad sales from what I've seen and you're not going to make as much money as you normally would.

Very intriguing theory Flea .. thank you. I actually do have a broad price range of products. My lowest cost items (not counting Freebies) are priced at L$75, my highest cost items go up to L$4950. I have mostly mid-range items .. around the L$500 mark. So I've covered the field fairly well.

And yes, I've noticed that this week's "Good days" might very likely be next week's "stinkers". There seems to be no pattern or rhyme to it. Because of the sales reporting tool I wrote (iGlom RDS) I can very rapidly break down my sales by day, week or month .. and there just isn't a pattern I can spot.

PS: I don't care much for reputations. I've had several over the years, and most of them didn't really make sense to anyone that actually knew me. *shrug* But I guess that's because those handing out reputations aren't interested in accuracy as much as seeing what they can do to "twist" the community.

Again thank you for the contribution. Now that I have something to look for, I'm going to go back over the past months' sales and see if I can spot the same patterns.

Sales are pretty good. My popular item is still highly ranked and a mid-range best seller.

The problem is - I'm not getting paid for all of my sales. Customers are ordering, getting the product - I'm just not getting anything in return.

Good times indeed :-)

The general trend in my case has be growth, but it seems to be related to the fact that the person identifying as CTL was apparently away for about 60 days, and was thus unable to test more strange new ways of making things not work even as clumsily as they already do. 

I think the system is actually stable enough that if they just don't break it any more, it could actually grow and develop a bit.

Existing users could be pulling enough new people in if the way that things don't work would just not change as often as it has. 

In that sense, the best thing the Lindens might be able to do for a while is nothing. 

It's not the JIRA's they haven't fixed that explain why SL is in decline so much as it is the new ones they keep creating.

The recent unannounced change in mod permissions function is pretty good example.

It's not big enough to raise the stink needed for them to change anything back, but it is nonetheless another drop of flavorless slow poison that will have some fraction of a percentage of users scratching their heads and then not logging in quite as often or spending quite as much when they log in. 

It's not the showstoppers that are shutting this place down. People spot those and work around them.

What's shutting this place down is the smorgasbord of tiny annoyances that leave users with an undefined kind of disaffectation connected to the perception not that some problem is too large to fix or deal with, but that there's a more essential, fundamental problem with how endlessly new, superficially unimportant difficulties are being allowed to gradually accumulate and negatively syngergize into a tedious and inefficient in-world experience, subtly overshadowed by the banal funerary crepe of dysfunctional and abusive Linden conduct on the Marketplace website. 

Kyle Lebed wrote:

Sales are pretty good. My popular item is still highly ranked and a mid-range best seller.

The problem is - I'm not getting paid for all of my sales. Customers are ordering, getting the product - I'm just not getting anything in return.

Good times indeed :-)

"When we promised good times, we didn't promise YOU good times." - "Anonymous Linden"

Pamela Galli wrote:

Sales are good but slower than last summer I think. (And I work like a maniac all the time, have fantastic new mesh releases every week, etc.)

Nice to have you back Darrius!

Thank you Pam. I can't promise I'm back fully, but I'm striving to make that happen. And you DO work like a maniac. Did you sleep any this month? It's the 17th already y'know.

There are very few things that make me smile these days -

(let's see, things that make me smile - Josh's conspiracy theories, Marcus's "Howdy", Sassy's sassiness, Pamela's straightforwardness, Czari's upbeat attitutude, Dart's clever jokes, and lots of others who contribute here regularly)

BUT

seeing your name authoring a thread put that smile ear to ear!

Welcome back, you've been missed!

...oh and nothing much has changed :)

Edited to add: how could I forget, Toy! well, Toy just rocks!

*smiles from ear to ear .. and beyond* (Owwww! I'm too old for that kinda gymnastics! LOL)

Thank you Arwen. And you are right on 1000% correct in your summation of the rest of our clique.

(OMG!! We're a clique! YES!! I finally made it back to junior high! *shoots a spitwad at the chalkboard*)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.