Tap! Tap! Is this thing on?

Darrius Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome back Darrius! I've been on a semi break from SL for a bit, but just to work on things for other programs and platforms. I've still been in SL daily tho. You are right about nothing getting done tho. It's pretty sad really. I'm not just talking about the MP stuff. They still don't have the mesh deformer implemented, even tho Qarl did all the coding for it. LL doesn't seem to have any1 willing to make any real decisions, or take the blame for those decisions. It's not just sad, but ridiculous.

LL has announced some new products tho. Maybe those are why nothing gets done for SL.

Good to see you back around tho. I got a new website up and running, with no delivery problems at all, lol

http://www.medhueanimations.com/

I actually finished a small project for my SL customers today, and working on another, right now, that is not 1 of my normal AOs. We'll see how that goes.

Thank you Medhue. Welcome back to yourself too .. so to speak. Nice looking site btw. I sure wish I had the artistic eye and style to do sites like that. No matter how I try to break out of the box, I always wind up producing things that look like '90's era Notepad. LOL

Back when it was announced that LL had begun acquiring other companies with other products and started work on another product, I remember mentioning that pretty soon we'd see SL bereft of attention and effort expended by the existing LL staff. Maybe it's just they are rudderless and thus not making headway .. or maybe they've been assigned new Linden names and duties .. but it sure does seem as if the world stood still while I was gone.

Or ... it COULD just be that without my incredibly magnificent presence that no one can accomplish anything.

/me quickly passes out the barf bags ... LOL

While I appreciate the kind words about my site, I must admit that it is all, pretty much, out of the box type of templates that I used from Shopify.com, which I pay monthly for. They really did make it easy for me tho, and I'm quite happy with the results so far. The delivery system is simply an app from Digital Delivery, that was just as easy to implement. It all, literally, took me a day. The delivery system even sends out emails with timed download links, on top of, a redirect to the download link after payments are made.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

While I appreciate the kind words about my site, I must admit that it is all, pretty much, out of the box type of templates that I used from Shopify.com, which I pay monthly for. They really did make it easy for me tho, and I'm quite happy with the results so far. The delivery system is simply an app from Digital Delivery, that was just as easy to implement. It all, literally, took me a day. The delivery system even sends out emails with timed download links, on top of, a redirect to the download link after payments are made.

Ahhh .. now see? You should have just smiled and nodded. You've gone and busted the bubble. *grin*

That also probably explains why my designs always wind up with that 1990's Notepad look. I "roll my own" using .. umm .. well basically Notepad. But I am an old propeller-head type too. *geeky grin*

I have noticed one thing (or more precisely types of things) that have made some major changes ... and once again it's User-Created Content:

User Badges! Some of the names I recognize have updated their badges and images .. and I generally like what I've seen.

Kudos to the Resi's!

Howdy, Darrius!

I'm really glad to see you posting again, Buddy!  I've not been nearly as active recently either but I have been busy.  As others have said, most all the issues that were present when you went on hiatus are still being "investigated."  We get no updates from the Commerce Team and I'm to the "so disgusted I can spit" phase.  Luckily, I do not have any of the cross linked listings that have been such a disaster for the past several months, my sales have been fantastic, my Merchant Outbox operates flawlessly, and I only had two customers who contacted me about not receiving their items during the maintenance that prevented those items from showing up in the Received Items folder until after a relog.  

So things are going just fine for me!  I hope you're doin OK too!

Heya Marcus. Thank you very much for the hearty greetings. When reading over a few posts to get caught up a bit, I noticed you've been carrying a lot of the ball that I carried before I temporarily vanished .. that being giving clear and concise instructions to people on how to resolve their various issues with SL. I read one person's question about their Outbox not working, and the reply you gave them brought a smile to my face. Well done!

It is also good to hear that most of the issues that plagued (and still plauge) some folks have largely steered clear of you. Things like cross-linked listings and a non-functional Outbox also dodged me. (I'm now tossing salt over my shoulder in hopes the digital gods don't realize their oversight and seek to repair that mistake. LOL)

Now if we can somehow get LL to begin undertaking proejcts and tasks that don't so much FIX something that's broken, or create a brand-new and heretofor unasked for feature, but to reinforce and expand those functions that sort of exist now and would be very useful if enhanced just a bit more.

Things like:

• Enhanced Sales Reports
  • Listing Enhancements that truly work along with proper statistics on their performance
  • UI fixes like returning to the Product Page after an edit and NOT back to the Manage Listings page
  • Downloadable CSV files that have full data in a truly standard format
  • ANS that understands and reports data for Commission Splits and other SLM-only features

And that's just the start, the barest blush of improvements that would so easily improve Merchant's ability to sell, increase overall participation of both Merchants and Customers .. and ultimately bring higher revenue into LL's pocket.

*shrugs* ... I guess you can lead a horse to water, but for some damn reason he only wants the water on the other side of the fence.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

*shrugs* ... I guess you can lead a horse to water, but for some damn reason he only wants the water on the other side of the fence.

The stunted growth and behavior indicate that it may be a mule. In reality it's just a lamah.

Eggs-Zachary!! LOL

wink_002.png

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
The stunted growth and behavior indicate that it may be a mule. In reality it's just a lamah.

Based on the spitting behavior, I would have guessed
camel.

Maybe that would also explain why it doesn't drink. 

...but it's sure making me drink! Cheers!

Josh Susanto wrote:

>

Based on the spitting behavior, I would have guessed
camel.

Maybe that would also explain why it doesn't drink. 

Well, the bonus lamah reference was for Darrius. Suspected as a programmer he may have spent some time in programming chat rooms on IRC. I think he got it.

Lamah is IRC-speak for lamer, but pronounced like llama. http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/lamah

Example, going in the Ruby on Rails chat room on IRC and asking:

"Hey, we adapted a Spree shopping cart to a virtual world and we broke it. Can you help?"

In which case a room moderater might type:

/mode #rubyonrails +b *!*@lindenlab.com  "Try rm -rf / lamah".

... which means, we can only hope  that you actually  try that command to wipe your hard drive, lamer. Your domain is now banned from this room.

On the other hand, you may be right and it may be a camel since finding a resolved bug is difficult these days. So we're camel spotting.

Most assuredly it's not a bear, who does have the good sense to drink from the Pool of Merchant Wisdom and can squash bugs with a single claw. Unless it's a plushie bear, which has no sense, claws or pants.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Lamah is IRC-speak for lamer, but pronounced like llama.

Example, going in the Ruby on Rails chat room on IRC and asking:

"Hey, we adapted a Spree shopping cart to a virtual world and we broke it. Can you help?"

In which case a room moderater might type:

/mode #rubyonrails +b *!*@lindenlab.com  "Try rm -rf / lamah".

... which means, we can only hope  that you actually  try that command to wipe your hard drive, lamer. Your domain is now banned from this room.

Ahhhh...great memories!!!  I spent about 15 years on IRC - first online social program I used...before mIRC existed.  I recall the wonder and excitement of seeing colors in text!

Interestingly, 5+ years ago, someone wandered into my home channel and started telling us about SL.  Our response (meaning the group in general) was - "We've been on IRC as this channel for 15 years and we're not about to move, thank you."  The head of that group was pretty much computer illiterate and had no desire to go to a virtual world.  A couple months later I was curious so made my account and came to SL to check it out.  Another member joined me and for about a month the two of us hung out and explored SL, actually renting a home together.  The funny part of this was that he and I didn't really get along on IRC (it's a long story and more related to our particular rp group than any personal issues).  Renting a house together, going dancing, cuddling...was a bit of a surreal change.  Bit by bit the rest of our group came over, minus a few who came, said "This sucks" (after they got caught in lag or couldn't figure out how to get the box off their head) and returned to IRC.

Oops, replied to myself instead of you, Czari.

Hail, queen of netsplits. You're probably a channel war vet too.

I think SL was using IRC as their group chat in the early days. We still see the remnants of IRC commands like /me emotes. Probably should have stuck with it, group chat still isn't stable.

Awesome story, a plus for SL fulfilling the more immersive experience we were looking for in these other places.

I think that's something they don't get about a portion of their users. They didn't hook us on the experience, we were already involved in "heavy" experiences such as games, IRC, MUDs, etc. We just wanted something with better scenery and an endless supply of props. We were already creating the experiences we create here socially.

Of course LSL still reminds me of TCL scripting for eggdrop IRC bots.

IRC is actually part of virtual worlds history. Originally IRC was meant to be a MUD, thus the concepts of "rooms" (which became channels), until it formed into pure chat. MUDs of course were the forerunner of virtual worlds with all the features of say SL, minus the 3D. Later VRML mixed with user content until we finally ended up here.

Phil thinks he invented the stuff as an idea in the bathtub in 1952 while playing with err ... legos and that virtual worlds didn't exist before 2003 when what they set out to create with SL originally wasn't a virtual world at all, but a test for hardware.

Thinking if SL came from people with experience in the actual history of virtual worlds, SL would have been much greater than it turned out, but it still beats many alternatives that don't have all the props.

We understood what people were trying to "do" with things like turning an IRC channel into a game, or a social space for various niches, etc., and that's always been the missing link with SL. They don't get it. They get startups and monetization. Sort of.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Oops, replied to myself instead of you, Czari.

Hail, queen of netsplits. You're probably a channel war vet too.

I think SL was using IRC as their group chat in the early days. We still see the remnants of IRC commands like /me emotes. Probably should have stuck with it, group chat still isn't stable.

Awesome story, a plus for SL fulfilling the more immersive experience we were looking for in these other places.

I think that's something they don't get about a portion of their users. They didn't hook us on the experience, we were already involved in "heavy" experiences such as games, IRC, MUDs, etc. We just wanted something with better scenery and an endless supply of props. We were already creating the experiences we create here socially.

Of course LSL still reminds me of TCL scripting for eggdrop IRC bots.

IRC is actually part of virtual worlds history. Originally IRC was meant to be a MUD, thus the concepts of "rooms" (which became channels), until it formed into pure chat. MUDs of course were the forerunner of virtual worlds with all the features of say SL, minus the 3D. Later VRML mixed with user content until we finally ended up here.

Phil thinks he invented the stuff as an idea in the bathtub in 1952 while playing with err ... legos and that virtual worlds didn't exist before 2003 when what they set out to create with SL originally wasn't a virtual world at all, but a test for hardware.

Thinking if SL came from people with experience in the actual history of virtual worlds, SL would have been much greater than it turned out, but it still beats many alternatives that don't have all the props.

We understood what people were trying to "do" with things like turning an IRC channel into a game, or a social space for various niches, etc., and that's always been the missing link with SL. They don't get it. They get startups and monetization. Sort of.

"Queen of netsplits" - like it.  I should use it as my signature, except a large part of forum readers wouldn't get it.  Oh yes...one reason I/my group moved from Dalnet to Effnet to several other nets was because the splits were getting so bad on Dal, then got bad on Effnet, etc.  Some of the now funny times, looking back, but frustrating at the time, was when some rp "ceremony" was going on, kind of like a SL "wedding" a split would occur and invariably take the two principal parties to separate...wherever we went when we split.  It got so bad that prior to ceremonies we would all make sure we were on the same server so we stayed together.

I obviously enjoy SL or I wouldn't still be here, but initially it was difficult to get out of the mindset of typing in our actions ie. "/me walks in measured steps across the crowded <wherever>, vermillion tresses catching the sunbeams peeking through the window slants...etc., etc." since in SL we just walk over.  I can usually detect when someone has been involved in rp on IRC or one of the other chat venues due to their generally more descriptive emotes in text.  After 15 years of "/me stretches a bit lazily then looks over my porcelain shoulder to...blah, blah, blah" breaking that habit took some time, again in rp.  (I was in rp with someone in SL once and they asked, "Are you an author or something?" lol)

Agree with the rest of your post.  Honestly, especially as I do feel I express myself sometimes better with the written word, I miss IRC.  I used to pop in every so often to visit old friends (some of whom even back in 2007 couldn't get it to run on their PCs and others who just have no interest in leaving IRC) but haven't done so in a long time.  Maybe it's time to make an appearance. ;)

Spica Inventor wrote:

Welcome back. Linden Lab Agents are still pumping for higher prices. Something perhaps you were used to in your time. hehe ;-)

Aye .. I certainly was used to it. Rather frustrating though to see that their latest method of garnering as much income as possible (taking payment from customers, delivering the product and then NOT paying the Merchant) is still being "investigated". Even though it's a "Micro-Economy" .. it doesn't take long for those micro-payments to really add up. It's like in a rainstorm; every raindrop is darn tiny, but as anyone in flood prone areas can tell you .. them little raindrops can do some mighty big damage in a big hurry.

Thank you for the WB's as well. It was a fun "tussle" getting back .. to be sure. (Of course, defining things like that as "fun" sorta makes Attila the Hun look like a cruise ship entertainment director. LOL)

"it doesn't take long for those micro-payments to really add up. It's like in a rainstorm; every raindrop is darn tiny, but as anyone in flood prone areas can tell you .. them little raindrops can do some mighty big damage in a big hurry".

I think it might be more commonplace and significant than folks realize. Because unless a customer comes back to the merchant for whatever reason, the merchant would not know it even happened to be able to calculate the incident rate. A lot more merchants seem to have had a relative sales decrease rather than a sales gain all things considered since DD went into effect. Other factors could be that people with troubled MP stores are more likely to come here and mention it, but the idea that folks are still significantly fearful to even purchase things on the MP now is probably not true at this point after three months of operation.

Well, I sell full permissions copymods, so I have no problem with customers reselling my stuff. 

On that principle, if CTL wants to buy my whole product line and remarket it, there's not much I'm going to do about it other than subject her to even more public ridicule than I already have. 

Until then, though, I CAN at least say that whenever I get a message from someone who hasn't received what was ordered and I can't find any such order, it DOES make me wonder how many other invisible orders there are that delivered but sent the money somewhere else. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.