Group Photo idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowl Paine wrote:

I'm most interested in "how" Dresden is placing the 9 avatars on each panel, and what are texture sizes of the single avatar source photos.

I'll check out that mesh cube when I login.

I shot the pics at my current window default size, which is 1440x848, then erased the background, copied the layer to the background texture and resized the avatar layer by hand.  I eyeballed the size according to the bricks while looking at my av standing against the textured wall in my build, inworld.  Obviously, this is not going to work for our purposes... we'll have to figure out a way to size avatars correctly, which I do have an idea about.  Let me work on it and see what I can come up with.

...Dres

Is this going to be art?  Well, yeah since technically any photo or display could be considered art.  But defining this project as some type of art is something I think we should stay away from.  As I understand the original idea the project's intent is to highlight the residents and users of Second Life.  A way for everyone to show themselves to the world if they choose to do so.  Making the project some sort of "art project" would remove the resident as the purpose of the project and replace it with the art involved to create the presentation or display....it would become some sort of art gallery instead of a gallery for residents to be seen in their chosen persona.  Diversity in SL is huge.  Keep the focus on the diversity of the residents not on the art of the creators.

That's my take on that.  On the maturity rating.  I'm not opposed to nudity (heck I was a dancer for about the first 3 years I've been in SL.......exotic dancer, in fact).  But we are going for the largest audience we can and that audience is the residents who have mature ratings checked in their viewers.  Yeah, it's going to exclude the 15 throiugh 17 year olds.  That's unfortunate but if we go with adult then we exclude many more or if we go with general we run into the problem of excuding a very large portion of the residents who choose to dress their avatars in less than Sunday church attire.  Sexy or racey does not have to be nude or vulgar.  The only problem I see is who is going to be the censor?  There has to be a firm line defined and adhered to or it becomes impossible to avoid the adult rating.  And I think we should avoid that unless we go with multiple presentations on the appropriately rated land (which may delute the original intent of the idea by forcing residents to make a choice of where they want to have their images displayed). 

Keep this as simple as possible.  Keep this as uncontriversal as we can.  We are not going to please everyone but I think we can please the vast majority.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I meant to put ten each, but I was rushing it... I'm quite sure we can fit ten.  I tried it with a 512x512 texture and the quality was very noticeably diminished.

I thought it was ten, and I only noticed it was nine after I counted them. Twice. lol

Yeah, the lower quality with scaling up a lower resolution texture i've seen too. It quickly becomes blurry.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I just tried changing the Physics Shape Type to Convex Hull which reduced the land impact to 13 instead of 26... so that's one way we could go.  I'm thinking mesh may not be the way to go, since we want as many people to see it as possible... but I'm willing to try it out, once you send it.

...Dres

I never tried changing the physics type on regular prims. Didn't think you could, or that it would make a difference. It sounds as if you get the same reduction in prims as I do with the mesh cube. Perhaps no point in using mesh, then, but I'll send it out still so we can check :)

(Edited for spelling errors)

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

I never tried changing the physics type on regular prims. Didn't think you could, or that it would make a difference. It sounds as if you get the same reduction in prims as I do with the mesh cube. Perhaps no point in using mesh, then, but I'll send it out still so we can check
:)

- Luc -

Yeah, not many people know about it, plus is doesn't work in all instances.  Being that what I built is comprised only of simple prims and contains no scripts, I figured it would... it's actually the first time I've tried it.

...Dres

I agree, the structure or object that holds / displays the Photos should compliment the Photos, and not dominate over them.

The Adult idea was a add-on. It was meant to provide for a contingency plan in the event of receiving a large number of Adult orientated photos.

If the Group needs an Image Moderator, I will act in that role. If a photo is questionable, it will not be included.

I plan on visiting various locations in SL, and asking Residents if they would like to participate. I will take many of the snapshots myself. I want the images to represent who that Resident is most of the time.

I'm not opposed to Residents "getting ready" for a snapshot, but I am concern that asking  "are you going to change your dress", might lead to, "what's wrong with what I'm wearing".

I will review the comments, surveys, and have more information for the Group at the Meeting.

I got a good laugh when I googled, define Racy. Racy was a good word choice. :smileyvery-happy:

edit: typo

Knowl Paine wrote:

Thank you for that info :smileyhappy:

We have some room for error on the comparative scale of the Residents in the images.

If Residents were to stand next to something of a known height while being photographed; might that help?

Yeah, I had thought about maybe using some sort of ruler off to the side that could be easily eliminated during the editing process.  Then it wouldn't matter what size the pic is, as long as it's large enough to scale down instead of up.  I'm sure we'll be able to devise some sort of system once we set in stone exactly what we're doing.

...Dres

Hello Dresden,

I have defined some Roles in the Group based upon the responses from the Survey. I hope that the Role titles will give each of us a better idea of what the other is doing. I have received 8 of 12 surveys sent. I will continue to attempt to define Roles should the remaining Surveys be returned.

We have defined some of the Groups needs. I've left the Role Titles blank, Members in those Roles can define their Title if they want one, same goes for the other tasks (roles). Each Member can review the roles they have, and then support the Group's objectives in that role. All Group members are encourage to review the Roles, and look to see who is assigned to which Roles.

The Completion date results from the survey, have provided the information needed to estimate our potential output.
One vision can be accomplished within weeks, and the other could span months. Both visions run parallel to the other, and compliment the other, for much of the journey.

I will be better prepared for the meeting today at 4 pm SL time. Hope you to see you there. :matte-motes-grin:

Europe, needs to speak up, set a meeting time, I will make every effort to attend.

A strawberry is not a chair. :matte-motes-wink-tongue: 

Knowl Paine wrote:

A strawberry is not a chair. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:  

I sleep on mushroom caps and drink dew, that platform was floating at 3900 meters and there was a spinning cube.

Oh yes, in my world, a strawberry can most definitely be a chair. :matte-motes-inlove: 

Besides, there was a toothpick stuck through it keeping it anchored to the butterfly grass, it's not like you would have tipped over. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.