Am I only one?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Ariel...computer says no. :(

Rodvik asked the question, took feedback, responded, went quiet for a while and then said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "we love that you love first and last names and that the comments here reflect that overwhelmingly, but we're just gonna go ahead and ignore you. We're not bringing them back. Oh, and BTW..I'm locking this thread before the bottles hit  the wire."

At least, I think that's what he said. Feel free to correct me.

That's pretty much what I heard. 

Someone pointed out in a previous thread that if you look around, you'll see that single name people are gaining on those of us that have a last name.  Its true too.  I guess they figure why do anything when soon single names will be the norm and everyone will be content with display names.

That's exactly what I heard too.  Another thing he said was that his team told him it was no longer possible because this, because that and because "we said so."  I lost a LOT of respect for Rodvik that day and so far...he's done nothing to gain it back.  Just have a look at World War 3 going on in the Merchant Forums!  And Rodvik just let's it continue....

I am frequenting places where new residents tend to hang out.  It is very saddening to see more and more incomprehensible, ridiculous, absurd, crazy single names on new avatars.  It is indeed very odd thing that the Lab chose to do nothing but let the chaos in names to multiply.
sad-face.gifHi, it is 9IsMeQr81Wn here. How can I change my name?

[Edit]
I went again to one new residents' hang out place and I spotted one month old avatar with a name:
sdasdasdasdasdsahdsagdhasgdhwdg

Eloise Baily wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Yep, we had that discussion, last names are still possible but are not an option for most persons

What a shame the rest of that discussion is no longer available.

From rodvik's forum post...

"So when it comes to last names, I have spent a lot of time going through all your comments and chatting with the team here. I learnt a lot. Firstly, as I already knew identity is very important, and the last name issue is extremely polarizing. What I didn’t know was how big a negative impact it used to have on new users signing up (the data is startling at how much friction it added). Folks just wanted to create their own name; they became even more annoyed if there was a pre-done last name that could fit but that had already been taken. The namespace hijacking issue was not solved by pre done last names."

We can:

• Take Rodvik at his word that the forumite view of last names does not match the big picture.
  • Wonder if their means of measuring "friction" (and other metrics) is flawed.
  • Wonder if they're just ignoring the obvious and placating us with manufactured excuses while they do as they please.

Rodvik and the Lindens make their livelihood by keeping SL afloat. That doesn't really give me a lot of visibility into their throught processes, other than to think they're not being flippant. So, I think I'm not such a fan of the third bullet point.

Unfortunately I also can't tell if SLs stagnation over the years is the result of lack of execution by LL or external market forces  (I have, many times, mentioned the tectonic shifts in online gaming and entertainment caused by mobile computing).

So, I'm not ready to kick Rodvik and the team over this issue. But I will say that focusing on new user signups without addressing retention (which might be positively impacted by having a name you like,  an opinion that might change after you've been in-world a while) doesn't make much sense. And maybe they are addressing retention, I don't know.

They did brag about 20,000 new signups/day last fall. I'll say it again, signing up 20,000 people per day without increasing concurrency is simply taking 20,000 from the population of people who've never used SL before and transferring them to the population of people who may never use SL again.

That's nothing to be proud of.

ETA: New user signups have fallen considerably, to about 13,000/day. I think that's a good thing, as it decreases the rate at which LL drains the potential new user pool. 

I think the addition of display names was a good thing, for many applications. I also felt that a lot of supposed issues with impostering were very weak as there are generally quick ways to discover the actual name. Although taking away last names does make that more difficult now since we have begun to see all the jonny800billions running loose.

"Qwark...what's his real name? *right click profile...um Q8r7956Kiog33!..ok, I'll be sure to remember that!"

That said, I do miss last names and never saw why in the world it had to be one or the other. I have a last name and I run a display name that is just a small variation of it. It also makes it nice for people that get married or have other reasons to have the same last name.

I was always glad that the last names were somewhat removed from a similar popular real life name in most cases. I know some will disagree or just not care, but I still consider it ill advised for people to use their real life last names in PC activities like this.

Electronic Mode wrote:

Who misses avatars with full names. First and Last name?

i am kinda sick of those Johnny563273 names

Please lets bring back full names.

thanks

This really shouldn't be an issue, but it is because Linden Lab gave into community pressure over irrational fears and made usernames visible by default.

Combined with failing to explain display names to new users, that is the reason you see names like Johnny563273 .

If Linden Lab hid usernames by default, as they should, and properly explained display names to new users, then it would not be an issue at all as display names allow for first and last names.

The problem with Rodvik is that he is not running the company.  He is not making decisions and then ORDERING his employees to just do it.  He is letting THEM tell him what THEY are willing to do.  So LL is really without leadership.  That is what LL sorely needs right now.  A leader.  A leader tells his followers what to do.  Not go to them and ask if they will do it.  Of course they are going to say it can't be done.  They want to do as little work as possible.  Fire the whole d**n bunch and hire some high school geeks.  They will get it done.  Then fire the rest of management and get some ppl in there with some common sense.  No college degree required except for a few key positions.  But don't put them in charge of anything but for a few specific functions.  I have seen to many companies run into the ground by MBA's.  Get rid of em.

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

I was always glad that the last names were somewhat removed from a similar popular real life name in most cases. I know some will disagree or just not care, but I still consider it ill advised for people to use their real life last names in PC activities like this.

Actually, I don't think that's the case for a LOT of the legacy names. Some are pretty far removed, but I think at some point they got lazy and just started using popular last names they knew, lol. One that is quite popular in SL happens to actually be my rl last name(no not the one I chose, lol), and it's an extremely popular last name in rl too. I used to come across legacy names a lot that I've run into in rl too.

Now we're likely to see less, since the legacies are a dying breed...sniffle...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.