need dissertation help! from second life members!

amz1991

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello all!

im currently a 3rd year student writing my dissertation, and would kindly ask for your help!

im writing my dissertation on the use of different types of advertising for the use of fur and anti-fur, if as many people could answer just a couple questions, i'd be very thankful!

1. how long have you been a member?

2. are you aware of advertising on the website? if so, which and do you think its effective?

3. if you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life? 

4. if you were aware, did you go to it? and did it affect you in any way?

thank you so much in advance, its a great help! 

Aimee.

1) Since mid-2007

2) Only LL's own advertising.   Which bit of the website do you have in mind?

3) I've just told you I was a member in 2007.  No, I wasn't aware of any such protest by PETA.  I was aware of several anti-fur activities undertaken by groups like the PN, but I don't quite think that's the sort of anti-fur protest you mean!

4) Not applicable.

amz1991 wrote:

Since July 2007.

2. are you aware of advertising on the website? if so, which and do you think its effective?
I don't think it's effective.

3. if you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life?
Yes, vaguely.

No.

Aimee.

yw. Good luck!

Im not familiar with second life, ive just researched into the PETA protest. 

whats the PN group? what sort of anti-fur protest do you mean? im meaning, against the use of fur for the fashion industry. 

Thanks for your help :)

1. how long have you been a member? since 2006 on my first avatar

2. are you aware of advertising on the website? if so, which and do you think its effective? There is no advertising on the website, aside from Linden Lab's own, and unsolicited spam in the forums which gets nuked.

3. if you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life? I was a member but not aware of any PETA involvement

4. if you were aware, did you go to it? and did it affect you in any way? see above

I think that the words "anti-fur" do not mean what you think it means, when related to second life. Is nothing to do with fur coats and more to do with griefing furry sims.

I suggest you go away, learn something about Second Life, and come back when you understand what the word "fur" actually means here.

amz1991 wrote:

hello all!

im currently a 3rd year student writing my dissertation, and would kindly ask for your help!

im writing my dissertation on the use of different types of advertising for the use of fur and anti-fur, if as many people could answer just a couple questions, i'd be very thankful!

Aimee.

1. Nearly 6 months.

2. No, I haven't noticed any advertising. If there is any it must not be very effective.

3. I wasn't a member in 2007.

4. Since I wasn't a member I wasn't aware and didn't attend.

There's a women I met in SL who has an animal rights / anti-fur Facebook page. That's the only anti-fur activity associated with SL (indirectly) that I'm aware of.

I think that furries in SL are cute. Hard to believe that anyone would be against them. My sister, tho, says that they can get annoying in group chat when they're constantly posting about where they're scratching themselves. Maybe they need to take a flea bath.

You should get a SL account Aimee. It's fun!

Jeanne

im aware that you do not actually wear fur on SL, however, im looking into how PETA is developing new ways of getting their message across, such as the week - long protest they held on SL in 2007... and if any members were aware of it and if it was effective advertising....

amz1991 wrote:

hello all!

Aimee.

1.   I have been a resident of Second Life since November 2007.

2.   The only advertising I am aware of on the website are promotions for vampires, self-help, destination guide, Linden blogs. All other advertising (if there is any) I do not see.  I am also this way with newspapers and other websites; having had a filter built into my bionic eyes.

3.   No I was not aware of this protest taking place in Second Life. I was aware, though, that skin creators were posing naked to let everyone know that copying skins was wrong.

4.   Not applicable.

1 year

yes everyone sl is always trying to sell something

i was not a member in 2007

no

Too long, several years.

I am not sure if this question asks what you want it to ask. SL has several web sites, and then there is the SL world itself which is not a web site. The marketplace is basically all advertising and since I buy stuff through it, I guess it is effective. The destination guide and SL search get me to places in the world, so I guess that those are effective too. The protest you are asking about was attempted in the world itself.

I remember reading a blurb about that somewhere. It did not really draw much interest. The big SL issues around that time were the gambling ban, voice, and some spectacular outages.

I did not go there. PETA is not the kind of organization I could support in good conscience. According to one account, it only attracted about 30 people, who may have been sent there from outside SL, so it could be hard to find anybody who particpated.

Peta discusses the cruelty of the fur trade over finger sandwiches while digging through their leather bags for their lipstick (that was tested on or made from animals).

Peta has proposed that the solution to animal cruelty would be to rid the planet of humans.

While they make a good point, it is not an acceptable solution, unless you are the bunny that had lipstick smeared into its open wounds for testing purposes.

To answer your poll:

1. Since June 2010

2. Yes. All. To varying degrees.

3. N/A

4. N/A

Hi there!  Good luck with your dissertation!  I am currently working on my Masters Thesis!  Ugh!

Since October 2011

Yes.  I have noticed brand name clothing articles, like Converse and Reebok and I think it is effective

Wasn't a member.

N/A

Good Luck to you!

LisaMichelle1

1)since March, 2007

2) unaware of any advertising, apart from that by SL residents

3)completely unaware. I suspect any "anti-fur" action back then may not have been what you think it was.

4)unaware, didn't attend. Sales of vintage fake fur stoles have been steady.

Hello Aimee,

Has this form of research been approved by your research advisor?  What academic department and university are you affiliated with?  It is very hard to protect subject confidentiality on a public message board.  Why are you not using one of the online survey tools?

If you are based in the U.S. has your research recieved IRB approval? 

1. how long have you been a member? Since 9/26/2006

2. are you aware of advertising on the website? YES if so, which and do you think its effective? NO, I ignore it,

3. if you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life? You expect me to remember what happened in 2007? No, I do not recall it.

4. if you were aware, did you go to it? and did it affect you in any way? Not applicable

1.  How long have you been a member? Aug 09, 2006

2. are you aware of advertising on the website? if so, which and do you think its      effective?  Yes and No.

3. if you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life?  No.

4. if you were aware, did you go to it? and did it affect you in any way?  N/A

Peace!

1. How long have you been a member? 2007

2. Are you aware of advertising on the website? If so, which and do you think its effective? Huh

3. If you were a member in 2007, were you aware of a PETA anti-fur protest taking place on second life? You mean they was`t gilling ?

4. if you were aware, did you go to it? and did it affect you in any way? if they was gilling sure I would been there ,, yeah I thinking about food now why you ask,,, you got pork-chop ?

LOL I couldn't help myself

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.