could somone explane why SL wont run propelly on my laptop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even on Mid settings it laggs A LOT
And i wanst in some populated area, i was in a small house that is floating high high in th sky with nothing around it.

plus 2 ppl next to me!

i am running phoenix viewer

here are the specs that SHOULD be for Second life recomanded and MINE under it

CPU
Recommended: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better
I have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU                                      PASS
@ 2.00GHz

CPU Speed
Recpmmended: 1.5 GHz (XP) 2-GHz (Vista)
32bit-bit (x86) or better                                                                     PASS
I have: 2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.00
GHz

RAM
Recommended: 1GB                                                                      PASS
I have: 8.0 GB

OS
Recommended: Windows XP or Vista
I have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium                                   PASS
Edition Service Pack 1 (Build7601), 64bit

Video Card
Recommended: With windows XP [NIVIDA
GeForce 6600 + / ATI Radeon X800 + ]With
Vista [NIVIDA GeForce 7600+ / ATI Radeon                                     PASS
1600+]
I have: GeForce GT 540M

Features
Recommended features of your Video Card
Video Ram: Required 128, I have 4.0 GB
3D Required: Required  Yes, I have YES
Hardwere T&L: Required YES, I have YES
Pixel Shader version: Required 2.0 I have 5.0
Vertex Shader Version: Required 2.0 I have 5.0

ummm yes and no.

Its not cable, but i have a plugin internet.
As in pluging internet stick >.>

and it isnt internet lag, its screen lag, like even if i wait 30 mins for EVERYTHING to rezz, it is slow when i move around or look around.

U know slow like for example if i played even a high end game on a weak system computer but the game runs really slow. It is same with SL it isnt internet lag!

that hardware configuration looks looks very good. I'm a laptop user myself and I ran slighty on the lower end of your specifications.

What about your internet connection?

What do you mean by lag? Textures  not rendering well or your movement & scripts are not running as fast as you think it should be?

Has this ever happened before?

Ever happent? no i got this laptop a few hours ago.

And i reallly doubt it has anythign to do with internet.

My internet stick plugin is 7,2Mb/sec which should be more then enough for sl

and as i said even if i wait like 30 mins in an isolated area like i was at, it still moves slow

Try to ask for help in one of the Phoenix support group inworld. I don't think any Phoenix developers read here. http://www.phoenixviewer.com/support.php

I think it's not right to ask in the official forums when you use a third party development viewer. Go to the primary source and ask. Phoenix viewer has its own wiki too. http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=troubleshooting_and_quick_fixes

I assume when you say internet stick you mean your mobile 3G sim card? 3G/4G sim card may not run as good as a Wimax, WiFi or Cable internet. I have a 3G which clocked at 12MB per download/seconds. Yet my SL runs faster on my Wimax which is only 1.98MB tops on a dowonload seconds.

- Try disabling HTTP Textures on your viewer.. It worked on some users before.

- You are up in the sky doesn't mean the sim you are in is not script heavy area. If there are too many active/running scripts in that area it will impact your avatar performance eventhough there are a few avatars in it. You yourself could be script heavy.

ETA: You have a high end laptop. Have you tried using FIrestorm or V3 and see if it will make an improvement on the texture rendering at least?

havet tryed firestorm because i dont really like it.

And i can try wireless but i highly doubt it is internet, because it isnt lag like if i click somewhere it has a delay, it simply isnt smooth at all. More like spiky

EDIT: it feels like basically try playing Crysis with a low end computer and thats the kind of a lag it is, and internet isnt needed to play it!

Just saying what it feels like, i am no expert ofcourse, so jsut guessing , i can try with Wireless and even Cable later

Sounds like a connection issue for me also. Reboot your modem / router leting it closed for at least 2-3 mins. Experiment with your maximum bandwidth till to find the best setting for your laptop. Disable voice (if you don't use it) and also all unused features in preferences. Contact your ISP in real to check out if there is a problem with your line.

It is most definately the USB stick. They NEVER come even close to their advertised speed. It depends also on the sort of buiding you're in, i.e. concrete walls are super bad. And how far away from the nearest tower are you? These things are intended to give you internet access when travelling, not as a permanent solution for at home. Also the bandwith usually is very expensive and they throtttle your speed after 5 GB of usage already, depending on ISP.

Second limiting factor is the laptop graphics. You know it's only a GT540M. For SL you should use GTX series cards since not even those are nowhere near as capable as their desktop namesakes. The 4GB video RAM, I can't believe it. That is taken from the RAM, not dedicated. Completely different ballgame. Your GPU might even have no RAM at all!

SwiftXShadow wrote:

And i reallly doubt it has anythign to do with internet.

My
internet stick plugin
is 7,2Mb/sec which should be more then enough for sl

Unless there is a cable coming out of that stick that plugs into an Ethernet receptacle in the modem or wall, your "internet stick" is just the wireless emitter. You have wireless internet and it is known to be slow as molasses with SL.

There is more to an intenet connection than download speed.  I've been on the road a lot lately, and have seen WiFi links that consistantly give download speeds > 10 Mbs, are great for looking at newspapers and photoalbums and such, but are totally unsuable for SL, because of high packet loss.  Trying to use such a link leads to all kinds of lag and rubber banding and even crashing SL and locking up my laptop.  I have also seen WiFi with only about 0.5Mbs but little packet loss behave perfectly fine, a bit slow for texture downloads, but otherwise fine, and better than links with 10 times the download speed.  Oh, and another think about WiFi, it is subject to all kinds of interference, just because it is fine now (with respect to packet loss) does not mean it will be fine in an hour.

Also, the particular WiFi chipset in your computer makes a difference.  At my daughers house, the download speed is around 15-20 Mbs, butI cant use my Asus PC with WiFi at all, it will lock up and need to be rebooted within 10 mins.  The same router works fine if I plug in with with an Ethernet cable.  Or it works fine with WiFi if I use a recent MacBook Pro, instead of the PC.

If your link is experiencing more than a little packet loss, using http textures downloads is a really bad idea.  Turn it off unless you have a good connection.   For my laptop, using http speeds thinks up a bit if I plug into my router directly, but can really lag like mad with WiFi (depending on whether or not there is currently a lot of packet loss)

I've found that my 3G/4G USB modem is usually much better than (most) WiFi, with low packet loss.  But that depends to some extent on the particular cell tower I happen to be close to.  Some of them are really bad, even if most are pretty good.

SwiftXShadow wrote:

Even on Mid settings it laggs A LOT

And i wanst in some populated area, i was in a small house that is floating high high in th sky with nothing around it.

plus 2 ppl next to me!

i am running phoenix viewer

here are the specs that SHOULD be for Second life recomanded and MINE under it

CPU

Recommended:
Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better

I have
: Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU                                   
  PASS

@ 2.00GHz

CPU Speed

Recpmmended:
1.5 GHz (XP) 2-GHz (Vista)

32bit-bit (x86) or better                                                                    
PASS

I have:
2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.00

GHz

RAM

Recommended:
1GB                                                                     
PASS

I have:
8.0 GB

OS

Recommended:
Windows XP or Vista

I have:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium                                  
PASS

Edition Service Pack 1 (Build7601), 64bit

Video Card

Recommended:
With windows XP [NIVIDA

GeForce 6600 + / ATI Radeon X800 + ]With

Vista [NIVIDA GeForce 7600+ / ATI Radeon                                    
PASS

1600+]

I have:
GeForce GT 540M

Features

Recommended features of your Video Card

Video Ram:
Required 128,
I have
4.0 GB

3D Required:
Required  Yes,
I have
YES

Hardwere T&L:
Required YES,
I have
YES

Pixel Shader version
: Required 2.0
I have

Vertex Shader Version:
Required 2.0
I have

I have the same graphics card and with some of the viewers I have to pull up the Nvidia control panel and toggle the threaded optimization (I think that is what it is listed as, sorry, not in front of my home lappy at the moment) to auto or off...making sure it is pointing to the viewer I am using.  For some reason when it is set to On, it taxes the hell out of my CPU usage and slows me way down.  May or may not help...just something to try.

Try the statistics floater to see where the actual issue is. Don't remember how to enable it in Phoenix... CTRL+ALT+D I think to get the Advanced menu, then CTRL+SHIFT+1 to display the statistics floater? The relevant sections you're looking at are:

• FPS (preferably when standing still and when everything has loaded)
  • Packet Loss (should be zero, or at least negligibly low, well below 1%)
  • Ping Sim (not really terribly important unless its well above 250ms. If you're in the US it's probably below 100ms)

Your lappy should run SL fine, presuming the graphics drivers are up to date and no other fancy stuff going on. Mobile Internet access does usually suck for SL, as does satellite Internet. It pretty much requires DSL, Cable or some other hardwired connection. Local WiFi is usually ok if set up right.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have the same graphics card and with some of the viewers I have to pull up the Nvidia control panel and toggle the threaded optimization (I think that is what it is listed as, sorry, not in front of my home lappy at the moment) to auto or off...making sure it is pointing to the viewer I am using.  For some reason when it is set to On, it taxes the hell out of my CPU usage and slows me way down.  May or may not help...just something to try.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

yea, sl cant bring my CPU even over 20%

Actually, i tryed running Batman Arkham City, Starcraft 2, League of legends (in a custom game) and SL all togeter

ALL the games exept SL ran smoothly with no problems what so ever, they could hardly bring my CPU over 50% while running simultaneously.

SwiftXShadow wrote:

yea, sl cant bring my CPU even over 20%

Actually, i tryed running Batman Arkham City, Starcraft 2, League of legends (in a custom game) and SL all togeter

ALL the games exept SL ran smoothly with no problems what so ever, they could hardly bring my CPU over 50% while running simultaneously.

And how many of them were running over the internet?  You've had a lot of comments saying it's your connection that's the problem.  Have you checked those stats yet?

SL isn't like any game. It suffers from many issues. One of the biggest issues is "user created content". Everything you see in SL has been build by its users. As a result, people used tons of textures, often at ridiculous resolutions. Unlike ordinary games the geometry isn't optimized either. All content - and I mean literally ALL of it - gets downloaded. That's megabytes worth of data for everything you see on your screen. The client isn't properly multithreaded either, meaning it takes no real advantage of your multicore CPU. All it cares is raw CPU GHz, so a single-core 3GHz is going to do much better than a multicore 2GHz CPU.

I can tell you that much: With your specs you should get decent performance. While not moving around, your frame rate should easily be above 30fps even on high settings (without shadows). If you rubberband while moving about that might be a simulator issue. Because the very same user created content pretty much kills simulator performance more often than not. Same goes for any place where more than 40 avatars are congregating - a lot of avatars in SL are walking lag monsters.

Without any useful information from you, it's going to be impossible to figure out what's going on. Kinda like calling a car repair place and saying "My car isn't working right, what's wrong?" and expecting them to figure it out without any further details.

Well, like the statistics window for example (CTRL+SHIFT+1) :)

Mine, on a hopelessly outdated single-core Athlon XP with an ancient nVidia 9800GT, gives me ~20FPS even in busy sims, zero packet loss and a ping time of 120ms (the latter is higher for me because I hide behind a VPN). What's your values? On my gaming PC which has an old Core2Duo and a nVidia GTX460 I get easily 60fps, 30 with shadows enabled. You should get about the same.

Bandwidth should be set to at mostt 75-80% of your available Internet bandwidth. SL will however not go beyond ~2500kbps anyway, so setting it higher won't do much good. Increase the cache to as high as it will go, it'll load familiar places faster. What kind of internet connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Public WiFi? University Access? What is it?

You mention "slow". Well... what kind of slow? Low frame rate? Rubberbanding while moving? The statistics window will give at least some hint on what's wrong, because:

-> If you have packet loss, your internet connection isn't up to par for SL

-> If the FPS is low, it's something with the graphics settings, drivers or anything in that area

-> If all of the values there look fine, then it's time to look at the SL client settings

Stop comparing it to your other games.  More than likely all your other games have their scenery, models and texures stored on your HD for super speedy access, meaning those games will always be smoother than SL.  SL demands that your "connection" can handle all the scenery, models and textures being piped live down to your PC as none of it is stored on your HD like your other games.

Also, if your PC is new you will still be rebuilding your viewer's cache up to store textures etc for the first time, once stored some things you see regulary will rez much faster than before.  Go see if your normal login rez point is loading faster than before.

As everyone has mentioned to you it sounds like a connection problem unless you can provide further details.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3304 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.