could somone explane why SL wont run propelly on my laptop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw this in the answers section...Worth a go...

I have an Asus N53S 6Gb / 1080 laptop with 540M and Phoenix failed to detect Nvidia GPU.

My solution: download 540M graphics driver and utilities from nvidia website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvist​a-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

Then change nvidia setting (control panel) from 'let program decide' to 'always use nvidia' or something like that. I changed nothing in the phoenix preferences.
All works like charm now, no problems anymore.

Here is the whole thread...might be some helpful info there.  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/how-to-fix-nvidia-s-optimus-to-recognize-second-life/qaq-p/980637

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have an Asus N53S 6Gb / 1080 laptop with 540M and Phoenix failed to detect Nvidia GPU.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvist​a-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html

Then change nvidia setting (control panel) from 'let program decide' to 'always use nvidia' or something like that. I changed nothing in the phoenix preferences.

Here is the whole thread...might be some helpful info there.  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/how-to-fix-nvidia-s-optimus-to-recognize-second-life/qa...
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

k thx that fixed it, changing the nivida settings from auto to nivida only.
 can run the game now on ultra with like 30-40 FPS in the most populated prim filled place.
even maxed out my draw distance

EDIT: ou sry, i had starcraft 2 open to when doing this, so i closed it now 40-50 fps x.x

thats just wrong... it was on LOW before and 5-8 FPS... now ultra 40-50 x.x

:D

SwiftXShadow wrote:

Here is the whole thread...might be some helpful info there. 

k thx that fixed it, changing the nivida settings from auto to nivida only.

I can run the game now on ultra with like 30-40 FPS in the most populated prim filled place.

:D

Awesome!  Congrats!  Have fun :D

• 3 years later...

I am considering buying an Asus GL771JM-DH71 17.3" ROG Gaming Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, Windows 8.1 & was wondering if someone can tell me from the specs below if this will run SL efficiently & see mesh bodies good:

Asus GL771JM-DH71 Specifications

Processor -- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell
Turbo Speed -- 3.5 GHz
Cache -- L3: 6 MB
MemoryType -- DDR3L SDRAM
Installed -- 12 GB
Capacity -- 16 GB
Graphics Card Type-- Dedicated
Installed --  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM Dedicated
Screen Type -- Widescreen
Screen Size -- 17.3"
Backlight -- LED
Aspect Ratio -- 16:9
Finish -- Antiglare
Native Resolution --1920 x 1080
Hard Drive Installed -- 1TB7200 rpm
Type: SATA
Network -- 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45)
Wi-Fi -- 802.11ac
Operating System -- Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

ProvocativeBliss wrote:

I am considering buying an Asus GL771JM-DH71 17.3" ROG Gaming Notebook Computer, Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, Windows 8.1 & was wondering if someone can tell me from the specs below if this will run SL efficiently & see mesh bodies good:

Asus GL771JM-DH71 Specifications

Processor -- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell
Turbo Speed -- 3.5 GHz
Cache -- L3: 6 MB
MemoryType -- DDR3L SDRAM
Installed -- 12 GB

Capacity -- 16 GB
Graphics Card Type-- Dedicated
Installed --  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM Dedicated
Screen Type -- Widescreen
Screen Size -- 17.3"
Backlight -- LED
Aspect Ratio -- 16:9
Finish -- Antiglare
Native Resolution --1920 x 1080
Hard Drive Installed -- 1TB7200 rpm
Type: SATA
Network -- 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45)
Wi-Fi -- 802.11ac
Operating System -- Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

No.

You need to upgrade that.

If you aren't spending at least 3k on a laptop you get exactly what you deserve.

Heartaches and headaches.

• Lindens

SwiftXShadow wrote:

thats just wrong... it was on LOW before and 5-8 FPS... now ultra 40-50 x.x

Glad you're sorted out and happier.  But we'll make this a learning moment while I'm still awake.  The i7-2630QM is a quad-core processor and SL is (historically, mostly, accidentally) a single-threaded app.  Under certain particularly active conditions it will use about 2.5 cores but steady-state is 1.0 plus-or-minus.  And that will look like 25% CPU in many system tools.  The 'Performance' tab of 'Windows Task Manager' will give more detail and you'll probably see one core pinned to the ceiling.

I think this may be part of the reason on why my machine get better performance when I upgraded Windows a few years ago. I had a three-core processor, and that would be one core for Second Life. What I recall is that the more-recent network driver didn't seem to choke so much.

But thanks for the info. This motherboard is getting a bit old, but it sounds as though I can stop drooling about the prospect of a 6-core CPU. USB-3.0 still looks worthwhile, for other reasons, and that has to be motherboard.

(3-core AMD CPU, 4GB of RAM with 64-bit Windows 7, but the hardware is getting old...)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.