Web profile privacy and notifications screwed up.

Ceera Murakami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rhett Linden wrote:

Trending shows what feed topics are hot based on Comments and Loves (combined with the respect of privacy settings).  

Hmmm..    I've just looked at what's "trending" at the moment, and right at the top is what seems to be an animated conversation between a group of people I've never heard of in what I think is Turkish.

I'm sure I should find the knowledge that their conversation is "trending" both interesting and useful, but, perhaps because I don't happen to speak Turkish, I'm not quite sure why.

And that, I'm willing to bet, is a genuine conversation, since this feature isn't yet widely enough known for people to abuse it by posting pictures of the new hair or shoes they've just released, or the land they have for sale, and then getting all their friends, and using all their alts, to push the picture up to the top of "trending" by "loving" it and commenting on what a lovely picture it is.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhett Linden wrote:

Trending shows what feed topics are hot based on Comments and Loves (combined with the respect of privacy settings).  

Sticks finger in throat and brings up the bile. Who wants that kind of rubbish 'Comments and Loves' who asked for it? Are you guys playing a game of pretending to be Twitters? AND what the hell was being migrated to where.

Linden Techies and Geeks *sigh*

Walks away shaking head

^L^

After reading about this latest "oops" I went into my page to check the settings. Thankfully, everything was fine. I did notice something else however and it's aggravating me; it appears that by default you're set to follow EVERYONE on your friends list! Now it makes sense why I'm seeing comments from so many people who I knew I'd never signed up to follow.

If you want to check this for yourself go into your People tab on your web profile and check your list of friends. Be amazed that LL in its wisdom has signed you up to follow every single person on your friends list! (They're also following you back by default)  Worse, there appears to be no way to do a bulk "un-follow"; you have to manually go to each person's listing and de-select follow.

I've been in SL for over 5 years and have accumulated quite a few people on my friends list. Having to now go through and turn off this "feature" is going to be tedious and an unnecessary waste of my time.

WTF Following.jpg

Not so. I am still following all my friends and all my friends are following me. This was not what I had my settings set to before the issue. Before, I was following a few persons that were not on my friends list, I was not following any of my friends, and none of my friends were following me.

Is this the new default? I still am unable to find any info about this. Actually, I haven't even bothered to look.

This is different.  What's been restored are the Privacy settings.

The default is for Friends to be Followers so that if you "unfollow" a Friend you are still Friends but you will not see all their posts.  The UI and functionality is in a bit of a transition and we're working on improving that asap.  Look for improvements there after the holiday week.

For now yes.  And again we clearly need to improve this new and evolving area.

But question for you - you don't want to see any of your Friends posts?

We introduced "Followers" as we understood that the new web profiles and feeds strained the "Friends" behavior in SL which has other implications of online status, etc.  The model is evolving and I'm interested in what behavior you are going for as it relates to the profiles.

My profile is my profile.  I didn't enter SL with the expectation that it was going to be some sort of facebook lookalike.  The profile is my opportunity to let people see who I am.  That's it.  I don't care to have anyone else mucking around in it, and no, I don't want to see any of my friends' posts.

I went through and unfollowed all of my friends. Tedious, yes. Better way? How bout the default be I am following no one and I get to choose whom I follow. Friends is a cute way of saying contacts, I do not wish to follow all my contacts. I do wish to follow artists and content creators, but because I don't want the embarrassment of having to ask them, complete strangers to me, to be my friend, following them is a good solution, that way, I have them on a sort of list so I can see when they make new stuff without the psychological burden of having to be their friends.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I went through and unfollowed all of my friends. Tedious, yes. Better way? How bout the default be I am following no one and I get to choose whom I follow. Friends is a cute way of saying contacts, I do not wish to follow all my contacts. I do wish to follow artists and content creators, but because I don't want the embarrassment of having to ask them, complete strangers to me, to be my friend, following them is a good solution, that way, I have them on a sort of list so I can see when they make new stuff without the psychological burden of having to be their friends.

I agree, Charolotte.  I just had to manually UNfollow 253 people.  What a nuisance.  The default should be Do Not Follow.  My "friends" list includes business contacts, newbies that I greeted once at a help area but never saw again, and real friends (many of whom would be annoyed if I started "following" them). I can't think of even one of them that I want to follow, and it should be my choice to make that decision.

I really want a way to UNdo the list of people who are following me now.  We are getting a regular stream of people posting to the Answers forum, asking how to get rid of followers, too.  All I can do is sympathize.

Rhett Linden wrote:

Nice profile photo Rhett. You're at the top of my trending tab. I see that you're on the "Experience Design team, working to improve the user experience of Second Life."

Some important questions for you, what is this Facebook wall for? Why would I want this in SL? I don't even like it in Facebook. With the SL viewer, why is the default the feed and not the about section of an avatar's profile?

Why were last names eliminated? Why aren't they being brought back?

You want to dramatically improve the user experience of Second Life, start there.

oh lol this must be why in SL i see i am now 'following' 228 people & have 228 people 'following' me?

i am heartened to see a Linden apology for this privacy mishap. thank you for that very much

copying facebook is probably not gonna be done any more by Lindens under their new boss. he seems instead to be an intelligent man with progressive ideas. that old & tired recipe to copy facebook ha. it is to fall off cliff financially. 'facebook' is already a fading trend. facebook is clearly shown to be a morally reprehensible company. also an over-hyped 'bubble' of extremely questionable net worth.

facebook lost 30% of active users this year. i was one of them :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Rhett Linden wrote:

The default is for Friends to be Followers so that if you "unfollow" a Friend you are still Friends but you will not see all their posts.  

Not so default as you think.  My friends have never been followed or followers, only the people I have manually add are followed, and only those who have chosen so are followers, neither of which are in my friends list. 

Hey, Kenbro. Perhaps you were one of the users who were not affected recently.

Originally Posted by Rhett Linden 
During a migration some users Profile settings were reset. This does not affect all users, and for those that have been affected we are working to reset your settings back to their original state. 

The bold is me. Now, if the new default is to have new friends follow you and vice versa, perhaps add a new friend or have someone add you and see if you are automatically defaulted to following them and, well, vice versa.
Vice versa, sounds odd.

Rhett Linden wrote:

We introduced "Followers" as we understood that the new web profiles and feeds strained the "Friends" behavior in SL which has other implications of online status, etc.  The model is evolving and I'm interested in what behavior you are going for as it relates to the profiles.

I'd really rather the default be set to NOT follow. It's not that I'm antisocial but, I have a few contacts who are extremely chatty and their posts are taking over the feed. I'd much rather be able to opt in to the small number of posts I'd like to receive than be forced to manually opt out of 200+.

Thank you for listening, Rhett!!!  I am no longer following ALL of my friends and they are no longer following me by default.  I am sure it is a work in progress, but now I can only follow those that are not my friends in-world.  If I want to follow my friend, it is not an option (yet?).

You get bonus kudos for asking for resident opinions and more bonus kudos for following up on them.

Cinn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.