Web profile privacy and notifications screwed up.

Ceera Murakami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I noticed that my web profile's preferences for privacy and notifications were all seriously screwed up on my.secondlife.com. I checked my alts, and they were screwed up as well. So check your profiles, folks! You may have a lot of unauthorised changes, making your profile much more permissive and spammy than you wanted.

Some of what I found:

Privacy Prefs:

Many things had been made much more permissive than where I had set them. My feeds could be posted to by anyone, despite my having locked them down as soon as it was possible to "nobody". My profile was visible to the whole Internet, instead of only to "Secondlife". Many other things that had been "Friends only" were open to anyone or to Secondlife.

Notifications:

I turn them all off. I hate getting spammed. Some of my accounts had them all turned on again. Most had at least some options turned on again.

Following?

Several of my alts were set as following other accounts' feeds. I nave NEVER used the "Follow" option!

WTF is going on? Is some Linden 'padding the books' by making it look like their social media fluff is more popular than it really is?

And WTF is this new "Trending" tab on the Home page, that is full of stuff from people I have never heard of?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice Ceera. I just checked. I didn't notice any modification of my settings for my main account. HOWEVER, 3 of my alts show as following other accounts and strangely, person X which I am supposed to follow also appears as a follower! Just like you, I never used the following option. Another alt of mine is following people I don't even know while not being followed by anyone. So YES, this is all messed up!

Not to mention the "Trending" thing as you point out. It's packed with complete strangers. If someone could come with an explanation of what the heck this is means, I would be curious to read it.

Mines too - noticed something looked odd yesterday when I got a message via profiles when I thougjt I had set it never to send me messages. I hate that web profile crap. It's just another layer of nonsense and confusion that we don't need and never have. Do we really need another piece of social network crap! Turn it off LL and while your at it admit that it's borked. A lot of people have sensitive info they don't want revealed.

^L^

I agree completely, Lasher.  I just checked mine and my alt's.  They are both secure and as private as I can make them.  I wish there were some way to get rid of followers, but since I never put anything on my own page there's nothing worth following anyway.  The only new thing I noticed is that the old "Notes" page from my own profile has mysteriously reappeared, so I can once again find a couple of bits of personal information I stored there.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Not to mention the "Trending" thing as you point out. It's packed with complete strangers. If someone could come with an explanation of what the heck this is means, I would be curious to read it.

Or better, how to to shut this "Trending" off, completly !!

And no, i don't know what this is for either. Looks like random ppl posting random stuff which i have zero interrest in! :( 

Answered on the SLU forums:

Originally Posted by Rhett Linden 
During a migration some users Profile settings were reset. This does not affect all users, and for those that have been affected we are working to reset your settings back to their original state. 

We value your privacy and apologize for the issue. I will post an update when the issue is resolved.

Thanks.

It now seems that anyone on my friends list is now a follower of mine and vice versa, which totally ruins the benefit of being able to have a separate list of who you are following and who is following you. 

My privacy settings were also changed.

If the word trending is anything like all the other trending sites out there, I would think it probably is whatever is getting the most buzz/hits/replies at the moment, kinda like when forum threads turn red in here.

Well, that's good at least.  Now, what about your other question... " And WTF is this new "Trending" tab on the Home page, that is full of stuff from people I have never heard of?"   I can't find anyplace that explains what the heck "Trending" means, and -- I'm with you, Ceera -- Who the hell are all these people who are trending in my profile?  Why do I want their drivel associated in some obscure way with me?  Who asked for all of this stuff anyway?  

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

SLU? 

I searched all over these forums/knowledge base/wiki for answers and or clarification and the Lindens are posting on SLU?

Yep. Interesting, isn't it? I guess Rhett Linden was surfing SLU for his own reasons, and was kind enough to take the time to reply. Yet no Linden noticed the similar thread here, on their own forums.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

SLU? 

I searched all over these forums/knowledge base/wiki for answers and or clarification and the Lindens are posting on SLU?

A comparison of the number of views this thread has had, vs the number the similar thread over at SLU has had, might suggest why they post over at SLU:

sl count.jpg

slu count.jpg

ETA -- both shots taken at the same time, despite the apparently different time stamps for the latest posts. The SLU one is set to my local time (UK) and the SL one is SLT, which is 8 hours behind the real time.

Rolig Loon wrote:

Well, that's good at least.  Now, what about your other question...
" And WTF is this new "Trending" tab on the Home page, that is full of stuff from people I have never heard of?"  
I can't find anyplace that explains what the heck "Trending" means, and -- I'm with you, Ceera -- Who the hell are all these people who are trending in my profile?  Why do I want their drivel associated in some obscure way with me?  Who asked for all of this stuff anyway?  

I added a comment on the top post appearing in that "Trending" Tab, asking "Can you explain why this post of yours is showing up in a "Trending" tab on my profile's home page? What is this?". Maybe the people who are getting ther stuff to show up there have some clue about what it is? At least some of those posts sem to be testing the Trending tab, and commenting about what pushes things higher in it.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

SLU? 

Yep. Interesting, isn't it? I guess Rhett Linden was surfing SLU for his own reasons, and was kind enough to take the time to reply. Yet no Linden noticed the similar thread here, on their own forums.

Oh. I get it. This must be the little kids table.

Thanks for letting us know about what is going on out there, about stuff that is going on in here.

During a migration some users Profile settings were reset. This does not affect all users, and for those that have been affected we are working to reset your settings back to their original state.

We value your privacy and apologize for the issue. I will post an update when the issue is resolved.

Thanks so much for the heads up.  I checked mine and everyone of them was set to the most liberal setting and notifications were set for inworld messages AND email. I too have a lot of 'trending' crap showing up that I don't want as well as I seem to have gained a lot of followers and signed up to follow a lot of people I don't care about.

/me curses as I clean all the spam out of my email in box and feed

What does that mean?   Whose feed?  What comments?  And what are "Loves"?  What's really wierd is that I have a mess of asinine "Trends" on my profile from people I have never heard of, I don't have any feed topics (because nobody can post to or follow my feed) and as far as I know I don't have any Loves.  So, how in heavens name can I have Trends?  And who the heck are these people in MY profile?  How do I tell them to get the heck out of it?

ETA:  I sound more worked up than I really am. I actually ignore that dumb profile for weeks on end and only look at it when a thread like this one reminds me that it exists.  Still, it does offend me that it's there, that I have to take proactive steps to maintain my privacy, and that I still have interlopers putting nonsense into it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4504 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.