Am I getting old?

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

Yep we're gettin old...And TV sucks.
kittylicking.gif
Kitty kisses!

I'd certainly prefer to watch that kitty licking the screen rather than some of the crappy shows the spammer has to offer.

@ Kylie, I haven't heard of half the shows on offer by the spammer either, although I still watch quite a bit of TV.  Can't see the point of reality shows, when real life is just one big reality show anyway.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Tiffy...that's the truth.  Television isn't anything like when we were young.  Not just the type of programming but the whole structure of it.  I believe you are not US, so not sure it worked the same way, but here when I was growing up, all the new shows started in September...it was really something to look forward to.  It ended in May and you got the summer to catch any episodes you missed.  Now, they seem to cancel them right out of the gate after a few weeks and have something called "mid-season" replacements
:(
  Go figure.

A story about raising young girls...mine was probably about 13 or 14 back when spandex leggings were the vogue.  She begged me for weeks to let her get a pair.  I finally relented under the one condition that she wear a long shirt with it...and I mean long
:)
  The very next morning she comes out dressed in them minus the long shirt...I should say she is part Arab descent, so a little exotic looking and built, even at that age.  I told her she wasn't going to school dressed like that, sent her back to her room to put jeans on and took the scissors to them in front of her.  That was the end of that!  I had to prove I meant business.  Needless to say, she hated me for a very long time.  Luckily for my kids, I was there in the mornings to see how they left and in the afternoons when they came home.  In the last few years, I got a thank you for that. That's a lot of the problem back then and today, I believe...no parental oversee

My mother wouldn't let me wear hot pants when they were in fashion (the first time round - 1970-ish), and I couldn't understand why (I probably learnt why when I was early-20s), but my dear brother consoled me by making hotpants for my doll, Rosebud.   

Marigold Devin wrote:

My mother wouldn't let me wear hot pants when they were in fashion (the first time round - 1970-ish), and I couldn't understand why (I probably learnt why when I was early-20s), but my dear brother consoled me by making hotpants for my doll, Rosebud. 

Oh, how sweet of him to do that...you are very lucky to have someone who cares so much :smileyhappy:

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

LOL.  Of all of the "Watch, Season, Episode" spam threads that have been going around, I have never heard of more than half of them
  I have to admit, I hardly ever watch television...I don't think I have turned mine on in over a month, except watching the playoffs/World Series.  Does this mean I'm getting old, finding other things to do instead (SL) or the assortment of shows is crap? 

You're either getting old...or you're not getting old....and..we all know that the latter hasn't happened, as you're here to post.

TV?  I have no idea what those shows are either.  I haven't owned a TV since Fox canceled Firefly. 

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Tiffy...that's the truth.  Television isn't anything like when we were young.  Not just the type of programming but the whole structure of it.  I believe you are not US, so not sure it worked the same way, but here when I was growing up, all the new shows started in September...it was really something to look forward to.  It ended in May and you got the summer to catch any episodes you missed.  Now, they seem to cancel them right out of the gate after a few weeks and have something called "mid-season" replacements
  Go figure.

A story about raising young girls...mine was probably about 13 or 14 back when spandex leggings were the vogue.  She begged me for weeks to let her get a pair.  I finally relented under the one condition that she wear a long shirt with it...and I mean long
:)
  The very next morning she comes out dressed in them minus the long shirt...I should say she is part Arab descent, so a little exotic looking and built, even at that age.  I told her she wasn't going to school dressed like that, sent her back to her room to put jeans on and took the scissors to them in front of her.  That was the end of that!  I had to prove I meant business.  Needless to say, she hated me for a very long time.  Luckily for my kids, I was there in the mornings to see how they left and in the afternoons when they came home.  In the last few years, I got a thank you for that. That's a lot of the problem back then and today, I believe...no parental oversee

I'm in Australia, and we have had the same types of changes. Yes the programming structure is similar (allowing for our summer off-season being 6 months out of kilter) and we have shows axed early, and changes made with little warning at times. We do have some great shows on telly, but much is the nasty competitive reality style (ie, you can't just show a home being renovated anymore, the show has to include several sexed-up couples appearing to do the work, being overly competitive, with a focus on personal dramas, egos, and incompetence.) Some is from the US, some the UK, and any locally made are often franchised from overseas series. (Not that I'm shifting blame...Aus is quite capable of creating abyssmal telly.)

It's why I love SL instead.

If you want to feel really old, watch some music clips from the pre-1990s. The style is incredibly different to todays. Notice how long the camera stays in one cut. You can actually study what the band looks like, and sometimes that's pretty scarey as they all look normal and human. They have moles, noses, real teeth, actual skin with pores. Nostril hairs and ungainly dangly bits. And they play these things called "instruments", buts thats another rant.

Kylie! Your poor daughter; I can see why she hated you for a while there. You took the "tough now to make it easier later" stance. Not the "ohhh I'll let this slide for now as I can't be bothered causing waves" stance, which only makes it harder down the line.

It helps to start out old, Kylie. Dad was 50 and Mom 43 when I was born (I'm an only) and I was home schooled. So there's a generation gap between me and anyone my age. I've never owned a TV and I never will. My ex hubby had one for a while and I watched old shows in the student lounge in college, so I'm not completely out of touch. The forum spam means nothing to me, nor do most of the trivia questions in SL clubs. But, when I step outside, the fall colors look the same as they did to natives here 5000 years ago.

Maybe at some point we become timeless?

I really liked reading  through this thread. I don't have much in common with most of you, but I can tell I would have been perfectly comfortable having my kids stay over at your houses, back when I had to think about stuff like that. How funny that a virtual world where boundaries almost don't exist, and where anything goes, should attract such a collection of fuddie duddies (of course I never admit I'm an old fuddie duddie when I'm flirting). This gives me faith in humanity.

Bloody hell---I'm no fuddie duddie--I think you mean my parents--sorry you have me laughing my head off and revolting all in one go, Relay. (Ok I admitted to being revolting and that can be taken dangerously out of context but who cares)

I swear I'm not old, but I'm juuuust old enough to recognise that things have changed...some things in popular culture, and that I'm left behind, and happy to be so. Maybe left behind..or maybe I turned into an internet nerd and forsook the telly for better things. Give me an evening in a sandbox and a bottle of Australian sparkling, and who needs that horrid telly!

Umm...your kids probably aren't safe with me. But I don't mean that in a pervy way.

oops Im replying to Ms Rocker...prolly clicked the wrong button...see, I said I'm too drunk to babysit

Sy Beck wrote:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

But is Dancing with the Stars popular like it is in the US?  I bet most Europeans don't even know about the show.

Oh wow Peggy!  Like American Idol and X factor did you not know that this is **bleep** we have managed to successfully shovel over to your side of the pond? We knew it too well and decided to export.  Still clearing up the mess here though :smileysad:

I'm a bit late to this party but, much better than all these rubbish reality shows that we palmed off to America is 'Britain's Got The Pop Factor and Possibly a New Celebrity Jesus Christ Superstar Strictly on Ice':

/me waits for the 'Is this real?!?!' comments (and also for the notice to say this post has been RIC'd and removed!)

I have heard of those shows but have never seen any of them. Somehow I don't think I ever will either ^^

It's pretty funny regarding music these days. If you knew that you didn't have to have the most angelic voice in the whole world or be able to sing, you might have actually become a singer and been world famous lol.

not old.... out of touch! that can happen at any age.

some things are worth being out of touch with... for instance all those spam ads are for cable access networks, and each of them is a different networks flagship show.... the only reason *I* know them is because I've got one friend who watches half of them, and I have one blog I read that has mentions of most of the rest.

Tiffy Vella wrote:

Kylie! Your poor daughter; I can see why she hated you for a while there. You took the "tough now to make it easier later" stance. Not the "ohhh I'll let this slide for now as I can't be bothered causing waves" stance, which only makes it harder down the line.

Yeah, I was a mean parent :matte-motes-crying:  I chose to be their mom, not their friend...it didn't go over well in their formative years :matte-motes-silly:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I really liked reading  through this thread. I don't have much in common with most of you

Ok, Dillon....just how old are you? :smileytongue:

I always presumed I was the oldest in this bunch, but you might have me beat :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.